It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reason for the Season! 2008

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
As for the anxiousness of the holiday, there is biological reasons we celebrate "Christmas" and other major holidays on or about this time. We are after all biological creatures and we enjoy the sun. The reduced sunlight, along with other "non-growth" associative events like cold make keeping one's personal "joy" level up harder. This is the real reason people celebrate holidays on or about this time period. It's all based around the winter solstice, but there is nothing pagan about it. It is biological.

When you see it like that you realize you're not alone.

It's all about the Winter's Solstice. Does anyone know when the Winter's Solstice is this year and what are you doing about it?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
the winter solicite takes place December 21, 2008 at 7:04 AM EST!

– i had to google it – but i know that it is always around dec 21 which my father told me is the longest night of the year!

i don.t know if all the celebrations are because the joy level is to be kept up harder as in summer time
or maybe it is because of the abscence of light

to my person it is no problem at all to declare it pangan or christian or what ever.

celebrating the return of the light is a long long tradition at that time of the year. and therefore it was a clever move to establish christ-s birth at that date!

people are hungry for light!
therefore we put all these wonderful lightchaines into our windows, we sit around with candles, we have the wonderful evergreen christmas trees with hundereds of lights in our living room, and to sit by the fireplace is not only comfortable because of the warm fire but also because of the light, the light in darkness.

when meeting friends i am able to light a light in their heart - therefore all the parties are so necessary

when the day comes or the night i am quiet happy that days won.t get darker anymore but become a littlebit lighter every day.
my dad used to tell me: first day as far as you can throw a stone, second day as far as you can hear a rooster crow.

merry christmas, happy holidays

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

Where on earth are you getting this

I thought people were "naturally" more less "biologically" more pleasant during the time of spring where "love is in the air".

Sorry but I see cold, and I get cranky, and I know others that agree. crops die, prices go up, and I can't wait for things to melt.

Besides convenience, or the fact that the many different groups celebrate something particularly similar this time of year, or attached pagan traditions that were fun, I don't see the biological connection.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
ME? I think thanksgiving is the best time of the year. THings are cooling off families get together around food.... Christmas always makes me feel kinda sad because I can never get everyone gifts that I wanted to give gifts to...

And this year gifts will include love, food heat and house because their is not much more money to go past that. Well no thats not totaly true. The wife will get an atmega card for christmas.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Summer in OZ expect 25c on 25th dec XMAS makes me sad ...

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
So how about those from regions which do not have winters?

two lines.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by juveous
Sorry but I see cold, and I get cranky, and I know others that agree. crops die, prices go up, and I can't wait for things to melt.

That IS the biological connection. I'm not saying winter is a time of merry making and ease. It's hard and cold, on this half of the planet, and thus they'd celebrate the "Winter Solctice" as it was basicly the turn around spot where the days get longer. It's a returning to the time of ease. And because people think the cold is like death, they make merry to try to warm up their spirits.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

I guess I'd have to know what you are talking about. what religions. Some religions are cult like, or believe they have to deny the physical, or ignore, or avoid iconography, really is a case by case there.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Ok, your 2nd response makes more sense, but I would not call the "merry" attitude the "reason" I would call it the excuse. The reason is something else, more like how we look after one another in any dire situation.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

Well the reason thusly would be so that as a group the saddness can be kept at bay. The merry making is something to lift the spirits of the people so they don't take the dirt nap in stead.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
That IS the biological connection.

do you have any proofes for this?
or is it just your believe?

[edit on 15-12-2008 by orange-light]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Uh, I said regions, not religions.

two lines.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

the OP is a priori, I'm sure you could look for some science to back the claims, but it makes sense without any.

Simply put, the year is noticed as coming to a close or dying if you will, as the cold temperature does and can kill. In order to keep a peace at mind people should be reminded that things will be okay, and things will get better like they do every year. - now what makes people come together to overcome these times, is of course not the weather or season itself, but our biological drive within us to help and cheer each other up in order to survive.

[edit on 15-12-2008 by juveous]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light

That IS the biological connection.

do you have any proofes for this?

Sure but would it do any good? Look above.

Originally posted by eldard
Uh, I said regions, not religions.

Sorry about that. I have a touch of dsylexeia.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by juveous
I thought people were "naturally" more less "biologically" more pleasant during the time of spring where "love is in the air".

Not here in rural France!

With the long cold nights, what else is there to do?

You'd be surprised at the baby-boom around August time.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Geez, nice to see this thread.

I just had a mini argument with my Mother when she stated that Christmas isn't what it is supposed to be anymore, all about Jesus birthday.

I went on to tell her it really wasn't started as a holiday for Jesus birthday, but more as a celestial alignment which leads to the Sun becoming brighter each day after the solstice.

DON'T BOTHER trying to share this info with people who are indoctrinated in the religiosity.

Strange how defensive people can be even though it is well documented and plenty of information is available to show the truth of the matter.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
DON'T BOTHER trying to share this info with people who are indoctrinated in the religiosity.

First, I don't associate the mythological leading star as a indication of the birth of Jesus. However many do. All you have to do is show the scientific evidence that the only planetary alignments that can be assoicative of the "star of bethlaham" happened well outside december.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

First, I don't associate the mythological leading star as a indication of the birth of Jesus. However many do. All you have to do is show the scientific evidence that the only planetary alignments that can be assoicative of the "star of bethlaham" happened well outside december.

But you know how it is when you try to introduce something new to folks who find it important to believe in what they need to believe in.

It is sad, really. I completely understand why people don't discuss religion or politics when they want to get along with one another!

Talk about heated debates!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

But you know how it is when you try to introduce something new to folks who find it important to believe in what they need to believe in.

It is sad, really. I completely understand why people don't discuss religion or politics when they want to get along with one another!

Talk about heated debates!!!

You don't realize that it is the very nature of your inner creature "beast" that stops you from capturing your objective. It is the way you introduce the argument. You know their responce system, and you know what their responce to your address is already. So why is it you would wish for some other responce? That's just crazy.

Better is to observe the nature of the beast and then observe another ways that are more acceptable to present infomations and ideals. That's moving foward and not going around in cirlces. Moving foward for all of mankind is progress.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Please do tell more.

I really don't understand that last message.

Do you think that I said something to my Mom in an inflammatory manner to push a button for a particular response?

Did I? Hmmmm.

Actually I thought that with repetition and planting of seeds here and there there might come a day that she would let go of her insistance that something was what is wasn't.

I am wondering how I could have made the response different.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join