It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarcasm finds medical use in dementia detection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Sarcasm finds medical use in dementia detection

news.yahoo.com

Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but Australian scientists are using it to diagnose dementia, according to research published on Friday.

Researchers at the University of New South Wales found that patients under the age of 65 suffering from frontotemporal dementia (FTD), the second most common form of dementia, cannot detect when someone is being sarcastic.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
hopefully this will take doctors and researchers in a good direction as far as treating dimentia goes.
it said 1 in four thousand people have this condition. they often get fleeced out of money cause they are gillible or don't understand what is happening to them.

treat it with a little sarcasm

news.yahoo.com

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I should enroll my husband in this study.

Seriously, there may be something to this.
He has serious bipolar disorder. Anger and sarcasm are the main symptoms.

This may be indicative of a lot of mood or mental disorders, which I believe we will find similar causes in the future. If they ever get off their duffs and start working on it.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
A person who is considered slow might also fall under this category. Which might also suggest their even shorter life span ability and predisposed to early dementia or worse.

The point should be to treat it sooner and recognize the causes. My mother has been said to have dementia and is more emotionally involved in watching televsion than talking to her visitors. (sounds like myself with my ex-wife)

Unless of course you interupt her and than she lets you know it in the worse way. I've recently given up regular visits. I prefer to remember her as she was. The same was with my father before he died. Personality changes like these are usually disappointing. It's not easy to say goodbye.

I feel sorry for the health care workers who get little pay for verbal abuse from someone else's parents. I used to work in a nursing home and saw enough of it. "Happy pills" don't always work either.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

Sad to say this but it seems like a case of 'better to have alzheimers than dementia.' At least I have a wicked sense of humour and would miss the jokes if I had dimentia, that is of course if I could even remember.

It seems more and more breakthroughs are happening in the field of the brain everday, I think this is wonderful, we could advance so much quicker and farther if only the hidden government underground scientists were allowed to share their work.......

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018
[snip]

I feel sorry for the health care workers who get little pay for verbal abuse from someones else's parents. I used to work in a nursing home and saw enough of it. "Happy pills" don't always work either.

Just wanted to let you know, I'm one of those and absolutely love working with these patients. It is so challenging and unpredictable. It is a true test of character. One moment you're getting hugged and the next they could have their hands clinched around your neck, strangling you! It can make a heck of a human being out of someone who understands and learns from it.

And, although I'm off topic, just wanted to thank you for your comment.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

» No, Groucho is not my real name. I am breaking it in for a friend.
» I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
» I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
» I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.
» I didn't like the play, but then I saw it under adverse conditions - the curtain was up.
- Groucho Marx

Something about a smiling guy with a cigar comes to mind with the word sarcasm!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dreams n chains

I had met a girl on line who worked in a 'retirement' facility. In many respects, she was a much better person than I was in dealing with it. I guess some don't want to be reminded they'll be like that themselves one day. I know I wouldn't want to be stuck in some bed all day either.

Dementia or alzheimers? What's the difference? When I was younger, I recall they used to call it 'old timers' What are the medications and therapies that are available for threating this?

My mother went into one for a short while after she broke her hip and refused to cooperate and eat. We had to bring her home before she starved to death. It did make it easier to finally cath. her.

The place was new, but they seemed as if it wasn't important enough for her to eat. I guess they know these people will give in eventually?

In a way, I felt as if they were numb to these people as if they were going there to die anyway. They weren't very happy when we took her out to go back home....but my mom sure was.

As far as sarcasm, she doesn't seem to understand humor as much anymore. She's been on an antidepressant to get her appetite back.

People such as these who aren't always in time emtionally and mentally with their visitors might benefit more from a recording to and from their visitors.

Thanks for replying

edit

I think most visitors who know these people can tell when there's changes in their personalites without a test. Medications or other illnesses might also be the cause. Still, it's an interesting study to possibly prove the presence and extent of the dementia.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish

hopefully this will take doctors and researchers in a good direction as far as treating dimentia goes.
it said 1 in four thousand people have this condition. they often get fleeced out of money cause they are gillible or don't understand what is happening to them.

treat it with a little sarcasm

news.yahoo.com

I completely disagree with this "study" because the only way to detect sarcasm is if you're educated in the area of which someone is being sarcastic.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mmariebored
I completely disagree with this "study" because the only way to detect sarcasm is if you're educated in the area of which someone is being sarcastic.

So you're either suffering from dementia or just don't have a sense of humour.

Sarcam 101 with Matthew Perry

That one is as funny as anything!

Good example of bad sarcasm
Good example of bad sarcasm

Judging by the first video it seems Americans GRASP the concept of sarcasm.

See that was sarcastic.

Do you understand. anyone who is above age 5 can grasp sarcasm, especially them SMART Americans.............LMAO

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Well I have worked within Mental Health Field when younger, to include secure units, and on occasions for EMI Secure units or Elderly Mentally Infirm as they categorise it in the UK.

I also now, and have for the last few years spend a lot of time caring for a member of my family with Alkzeimers who also has Dementia.

To the carers out there you do a wonderful job, but it is a lot easier if you "Go Home" at the end of the shift rather than being immersed in it 24/7.

Trust me on one thing though, often those with both Dementia and Alzeimers can be very very sarcastic themselves!!

Especially as they go back in their personalities to a younger version of themselves, when all the mischevious
antics of their childlike nature take over.

Children and the elderly can be very true and straight down the line with their comments, which sometimes is truly the highest form of sarcasm.

I find this research interesting and had not picked up on this OP so thank you, going to read the study later tonight.

Off now to help a 19 yr old spirit in a 80 odd year old body with the understanding of a 6 yr old to have a normal as possible evening lol

She was trying to get a Job yesterday lol, but totally is sure she was working last week anyhow, though of course its june in 1965 today

And looking forward to the cutting insults and honesty of her ways.

Innocence of real life is bliss sometimes eh...

Elf.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingdogol
Do you understand. anyone who is above age 5 can grasp sarcasm, especially them SMART Americans.............LMAO

Let me try to explain this more fully to you so YOU can understand.
Yes, as children get older they begin to understand sarcasm because adults explain to them what sarcasm is.
source

Sarcasm:
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark.

The child then begins to repeat the sarcastic comments of their parents.
As the child ages, they begin to come up with their own sarcastic comments, rather than copy what they've heard other's say.

The more they learn, the more data they have to play with and the more they can CATCH the sarcasm of others.

However, if they have not learned the material another person is using, they will only look at them funny when they hear the person using exaggerated tones when talking about this unfamiliar subject and thus, will be percieved to "not recognize" the sarcasm.

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
Trust me on one thing though, often those with both Dementia and Alzeimers can be very very sarcastic themselves!!

Especially as they go back in their personalities to a younger version of themselves.

Which proves they do know what sarcasm is and how to use it.

But, if offered material they've never learned, they can't possibly know if the person speaking is being sarcastic or not.

Example:
Doctor - "After this, I'm going on my five-hour lunch break."
Old person being tested for dementia - "OK. Have a nice lunch."
Probably thinking this doctor's job must be pretty sweet to allow such long lunch breaks but doesn't want to be rude by questioning what he said or flat-out not believing him.

And also, most people sitting there and talking to a health care professional have faith that the person they're speaking to would not play games with them. They have a certain trust that what they're being told is the truth and would not suspect they're being toyed with. Sarcasm is telling an untruth in a usually obvious way, but if the person expects you to always tell them the truth, they're not going to be as quick to assume you're being sarcastic.

The "study" is flimsy.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by mmariebored]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I can see your argument but thought that was a bad example, as even regualr people seeing a doctor would not expect a doctor to be sarcastic. The first video I posted is one that I think 99% of all western adults would get. Considering this was performed as well, I'm sure it was a scenario that many would know, such as the rain sarcasm. If I had the time I'd look into the sarcasm used by the performers and find out a bit more about this.

Until then I'll say that if this is going to help diagnose people quicker, cheaper and less painfully then great, however until more tests are done I'd be in agreeance with you and say the results unclear and more testing is required before conclusive results can be met.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingdogol
I can see your argument but thought that was a bad example,

It was the best I could come up with in a house full of wild monkeys.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Maybe they will soon be looking to employ sarcastic people?

w00t!I'm getting me a job!

join