It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stubs...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
What is the purpose of them? I mean, if one takes the time to start a page, doesn't it make sense to put more than one sentence on it?? Why bother if that is all that you are going to do??

To me, it seems like a waste of energy.

Just needed to vent a bit and ask why an article can be "created" with one lone sentence.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Dunno. I suppose if it's a really good sentence, but I guess a frame would have to be implicit. Generally best to set the scene, but in generality there must be some good ones.......

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I honestly have no clue. My only guess would be that
a bunch of unfinished articles started to appear all
over. The only thing to do was give them a name.

Stub sounds like a good word for it.

Kinda like a Snigglet.

Probably no purpose intended but it does reflect
or express ones laziness or forgetfulness.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

"Stub" is a programming term. When you design a sophisticated piece of software, it is useful that stubs for all of the functions or methods that will need to be written are automatically generated. For example:

public function doSomething (param1, param2) [

]

public function doSomethingElse (param1, param2) [

]

... would be stubs for two functions, doSomething and doSomethingElse, which have not yet been written. The actual code goes between the curly braces. As a programmer, I don't have to worry whether I have included all of the necessary functions or whether and which parameters they require, since the stubs provide that information.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Stubs, I guess I'm TinWiki's past Stub Buster
A stub is just a small article, if a page is wanted then you can make a short paragraph explaining the basics so who ever requested it can find the basic information. Or if your too lazy to finsh off the article and just do a lil, that's a stub - and we've all done it

If you do it, just make sure you give it the correct Stub banner on it so that it can be dealt with... kwlio

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ProTo Fire Fox

I understand the "small article" aspect. But, the day I wrote the OP, someone created an article with one, short sentence. :shk:

I needed to vent then, because I just couldn't see the point.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yer it makes sence buddy, i used to wind myself up something rotten with all those damn stubs, i remember one day i did a lot of edits to fix at least 15 pages, then some one came along and made a bunch of one liners - my God if you had heard me you would of wet your self laughing i went mental, but its all good, even just the one sentence is a base for a further article, plus when you can't think of anything to write, you can add to them; although i must admit they do annoy me 9/10.

new topics

top topics

join