It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Give Speeding Ticket to Pregnant Couple on the way to Delivery Room

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com...

Just saw this on the frontpage of Yahoo! news. Another example of police out to protect us from those pesky motorists! I can't believe that he had the audacity to make the couple wait while he delt with another motorist and then make wife PROVE that she was pregnant!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Well all the couple has to do is simply show up in court and more than likely the case and ticket will be dismissed.

I doubt the court, judge, police department, and the officer would want negative publicity over something like this.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yea, but what would have happened if there were complications that arose due to the delay or the baby came prematurely while they were waiting?

Now that would be some negative publicity.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mav3rick
Yea, but what would have happened if there were complications that arose due to the delay or the baby came prematurely while they were waiting?

Now that would be some negative publicity.

Or what would happen if while they were driving and speeding on the shoulder (illegal to do) they ran into a park car and killed them both (and the baby) instantly.

Lots of what ifs.

People use all kinds of excuses when pulled over. Any cop has heard every excuse a zillion times. So the cop not believing she is pregnant doesnt surprise me. They were in a hurry yes, but they were being VERY unsafe about it. If there was an emergency, they could have called 911 and gotten there just as fast and in a safer way.

Luckily everyone ended up safe and the couple can go to court and the charges may even get dropped.

[edit on 12/5/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I agree.. a hysterical soon to be parent does not have the right to drive like a moron..
if i was that much of an emergency.. call an ambulance..
they have nice briight lights and really loud sirens..

they should count themselves lucky they didnt kiill someone, themselves or that baby..

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ok, maybe it is against the law to drive in the breakdown lane, but on a freakin freeway you can see if it's clear or not quite a ways down the road.

Secondly, if traffic was bumper to bumper, I highly doubt ANYONE was moving fast enough to cause a deadly accident.

Thirdly, if traffic is that backed up do you think an ambulance would have gotten to them in the middle of all that? Or had them park in the lane so they could transfer to the ambulance?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Just to clarify the story. What I heard on the news had the couple stating two officers had waved them on and allowed them to proceed. A third officer down the road decided to give them a ticket. So again this is not the police doing it but one officer.

Now that being said what ever happened to phoning ahead. Calling 911 and telling them you are in heavy traffic and will be going down the break down lane.

I remember when my wife was going to deliver I drove pretty safely to get to the hospital. I also recall a time that things went very wrong and I still drove safely to the hospital without putting others at risk. There is a time and place for everything. Really the best thing the father could have done was call and let them know the route he would be going. This might have give police the chance to help clear a better path for them and get them there more quickly.

On the other hand the officer was pretty overzealous for writing the ticket in the way he did. If he wanted to purse such a course he should have helped to get the couple to the hospital where he could have written the ticket at that time, while the wife was being processed into the emergency room. My guess is that the ticketing officer is still rather new to the force which would be a reason for his overzealousness or he is just one who enjoys being in charge and always right.

Honestly the blame does lay with both sides. Sometimes remaining calm and doing things the right way is the best way to get things done. All too often people allow their emotions to get in the way of solving their own problems the best way.

Raist

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
An Officer is to call for medical evac if there is a medical issue when they stop or retain any person.
I would say that this officer is going to wish he did not do this.
I can see a huge law suit coming forth from this.

One has to wonder if the money from the ticket is going to be worth stopping someone with a medical issue and not calling for help!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

''People use all kinds of excuses when pulled over. Any cop has heard every excuse a zillion times. So the cop not believing she is pregnant doesnt surprise me. They were in a hurry yes, but they were being VERY unsafe about it. If there was an emergency, they could have called 911 and gotten there just as fast and in a safer way. ''

I'm sorry but I have to disagree, calling 911 and waiting for an ambulance can take a long time, expecially in a big city that has lots of traffic. My friend lives in Chicago and she and her baby both DIED waiting on the damned ambulance because the driver was stuck in traffic.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I can taake the heat off the police, not that I am trying to protect anyone, but...

The speed limit is posted for a reason. If you are in that dire of a situation, you need to call an ambulance.

Also, rarely when a woman's water breaks, or she thinks she is in labor, is she moments out from giving birth. How many of you out there have made more than one frantic run to the hospital only to realize birth was as far as 5 hours off.

The police department, I speculate, will only have to say they were interested in the safty of the public, and any case brought up should be flushed.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Exactly Jkd Up

When my wife’s water broke it was right around three hours away from the birth. She went into strong labor an hour before birth. That was the second time.

The first time, when my first son was still born, her water broke five or six hours before the delivery and there was less than fifteen minutes of labor.

Regardless both times required driving responsibly in order to arrive safely at the hospital. One reason that driving quickly down the break down lane in a traffic jam is dangerous and deadly is that someone in traffic may decide to pull into that lane at any moment, or someone may feel a need to jump out of a car door to make a bathroom run in to the trees.

I am not saying giving them a ticket was the best thing to do just that both sides should have thought things through better. Even if you are the greatest driver in the world there are others on the road with you that cannot drive worth a hoot. How often have you seen someone reading, putting on makeup, or even texting while driving? How many people get pulled over daily for DUI? There are many other people on the roads with you, a few minutes can be better than the outcome of coming across a non-driver.

Raist

top topics

join