It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Previously unseen squid filmed by Shell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Shell Oil have discovered a never before seen squid.

www.scienceray.com...

Here's the Yout*be link as I'm having difficulty embedding video. uk.youtube.com...

This thing is pretty scary looking. The article doesn't really go into detail but it's worth having a look!

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
That is CGI animation.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by moonrat

I'm open to all explainations but as the article I've linked to says it was on National Geographic news... I think this is a pretty reliable source.

I get the impression that it's already been passed as the real deal. It would be good though if you could give a few reasons... I know nothing about CGI so all info gratefully received.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It is real,but it has also been seen around here a lot.
I think i have seen at least 2 threads about it.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
There is no reason to think that this is any kind of hoax. BBC has this news story about the discovery of this squid:

The cephalopod, which has spidery, seven-metre-long (20 feet) arms, is detailed in the journal Science.

The creature has been spotted in the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans, and in the Gulf of Mexico. One sighting was made at a depth of 4,734 metres (15,534 feet) - almost five kilometres (three miles) below the surface - in the western Atlantic, off the coast of Brazil.

The researchers behind the discovery say the find indicates how little we know about life in the Earth's largest ecosystem.

The squid's arms are longer than those of any known squid species and held in an unusual position: spread outward from the body and then bent anteriorly.

The scientists speculate that the squid may be an adult member of the recently identified family called Magnapinnidae (which means "big fin"). Only juvenile squids in this family have been seen before. More research will be required, however, before the animals can be properly classified.

"I call it a mystery squid,'' said Mike Vecchione, a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa) researcher and first author on the Science paper. "It's unlike any other squid I've ever seen.''

news.bbc.co.uk...

Great video, thanks for sharing!

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
yah and its been known about for a while now,its not unseen.Still crazy looking though,hence i dont swim in the sea...

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by donteatthedaisies

Of course... here is the original thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It almost looks like it "trawls" for it food with the tentacles hanging down like that. Pretty awesome if you ask me!

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't think its fake - and from this source, its been seen before:
Bigfin Squid

It's pretty awesome looking though.

Wow that was a lot of replys before me; perhaps I should refresh the page first...

[edit on 27/11/08 by Thaumaturgus]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Looks like a cross breed between a squid and jelly fish does it glow at all?

Does look pretty cool thats for sure

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
lol now thats awesome

goes to show how you cant believe somethings fake just cuz some guy on the internet says it is

we got a old topic thread being restarted and the 1st post someone instantly claims cgi

lol i wonder how many real ufos have been debunked from these genius's

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Depth:7828 Feet?Meters?Inches?Miles?

Can you imagine the size of the calamari rings?

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
This is a hoax? no way. There's not enough benefit to be had. It's kind of a cool animal for sure, but what would be the benefit of thinking this thing was real when it was not? Maybe cuz of crazy people? All that aside i'd kinda like to taste that thing to be honest. lol, seamonster soup.

new topics

top topics

join