It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America what happened?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
My fellow Americans

Sounds like I’m running for office well maybe someday but not right now. I’m talking to the American guy or gal who gets up in the morning when the alarm goes off and for a brief moment in the predawn light sits on the edge of the bed and goes through the tasks ahead of them for the day, and washes the sleep from their face and reaches for their morning coffee, the guy or gal who kisses their family good bye and heads dutifully off to work either because they want to or have to.

The American guy or gal who loves this country and is concerned about which direction it’s headed. As Real Americans, Your racial, Religious, and social economic back grounds, Are your business. The Americans who understand and respect that.

The ones who believe in the bill of goods I mean bill of rights we have been sold.

I would like to have a frank and open discussion about what has happened to our country, where we are headed, and what “We The People” can do to reclaim our country.

If you’re not an American you are still welcomed to participate but Please no anti American flaming. Lets have an honest and open discussion please.

I’ve been reading and hearing all kinds of alarming things happening around the world and looking very hard at our country and its recent actions both at home and abroad.

The wars, The Economy, The racial unrest, Food shortages, Sky rocketing oil prices oh wait they have fallen again oh wait there is always next year. YADDA YADDA BLAH BLAH BLAH.

There are many around the world that seems to be chomping at the bit, circling like vultures waiting for America to fall. I to be totally honest I cannot blame them. If the past 20 years or so have been an example of what our country is becoming then this is truly a sad day for me.

This is no longer the America I grew up knowing. Not the America my great Grandfather, Grandfather, Father, myself and now my son fought for. The America I grew up knowing, the one whose streets I’ve walked the one where I traveled growing up. I have been fortunate enough to have lived in 3 major US cities on both coasts as well have lived in a small town and farm country. My family moved a lot because of my fathers work. My people, the American of all racial and religious backgrounds are good people. I know this first hand. Some outside the US just do not know who we really are or what makes us tick.

We have a rich history all be it short. We have gone from one of the smallest, poorest, and backward country to the wealthiest most powerful country the world has ever seen up to this point in human history in little over 200 years. We have fought in two major world wars, Twice in Europe when we did not have to.

We stood toe to toe with Communism. We have influenced and contributed to major global advancements in the fields of industry, science, medical, avionics and computer technology the likes of which the world has never seen before.

Am I being overly patriotic?

Maybe, but there is a real history behind what I’m saying.

The question now becomes what made us great? Was it Detroit and our big cars? Was it New York, Chicago and our tall skyscrapers? How about Motown and Hollywood with our movies and loud rock music? Maybe it was coca cola and roller skates? Could it have been drive in theaters and superhighways.

Some think it was landing on the moon or sending deep space probes out of our solar system.

Maybe it’s our simple and humble “can do” attitude.

Do we always need to be the top dog?

Americans traditionally love the underdog. Why? Because we were the underdog. And we fought so hard and so well from that that we became a world superpower, now that is working against us because we are perceived rightly or wrongly as the overbearing bad guys. Remember it’s in human nature to find a bad guy. And with our recent actions around the world I really can’t blame those who feel we have become the bad guys.

I remember one of my professors discussing great civilizations and empires and how they all thought they were the end all be all. And that the world would never change! But it does and has. I don’t see too much of the great Egyptian kingdoms or too many Roman senators running around or a Mayan high priest not to mention a Chinese emperor or even the great British fleet. History repeats itself.

I say we go back to the basics, what made us great in the first place. No I’m not talking about isolationism; I’m referring to our roots, our traditions of taking care of Americans first. Focus on schooling, take care of our elderly. Respect each other’s beliefs. Help the less fortunate. Regain the moral high ground.

Stop talking about how great we are and start doing the things that made us great.

Whether you are of Native American descent or of European blood, or your forefathers were dragged here in chains, I say not bad for a bunch of uneducated immigrants. Not bad at all.

If we are going to fall like other great empires before us then so be it.
I feel that we have had one hell of a ride.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I agree, I suggest a theme-song, which I thought what was going to be your featured video.

www.youtube.com...

I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man, I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
definitely agree with OP.

I am not an American but I have seen the changes over the last twenty years. Gosh forget the last twenty years, its the last 15 which have really worried me. Where is the American spirit that i used to hear about? Where is the tolerance and the quest for knowledge?

All i have seen in the couple of decades is America becoming more insular and American's losing their thirst for answers and their reputation of being 'great thinkers'. No matter which part of the world i traveled to, everyone agreed that it is now being dominated by giant egos and a "dont question my authority" attitude.

I know plenty of people who worked hard all their lives and left their families for years in order to fulfill a dream of gaining an American education and were humbled to be given the opportunity. Unfortunately now the same people would rather send their kids & grandkids elsewhere. Where is the America the whole world loved disappeared to?

[edit on 26/11/08 by 04326]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 04326
definitely agree with OP.
Where is the American spirit that i used to hear about?

It's alive and well but from the tone of many posts around here you would think the US is a military camp with the citizens all running for cover hiding from big brother and being mugged at the bank by big corporations oh wait that's my real life daily experience sorry.

Actually when I travel abroad I avoid being with my fellow Americans we tend to be too arrogant I can’t stand the idea of going to a wonderful country to enjoy exotic cultures only to hear another American complain about the quality of this or that and then they compare it to where they are from etc.

Why even bother going in the first place if they are not going to enjoy the difference? All they do is leave a bad impression of Americans where ever they go.

IMHO

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

What Happened to America?

The welfare system and other government handouts. Laws and more especially lawyers who pin the blame on everyone else when you get a hangnail. You do not dare let the boys next door play in your woods or teach their little girl how to ride on your horse for fear of getting sued. Can't let the neighbors swim or fish in your pond. This and the constant moving to another new job has taken away our feeling of community and of self reliance.

As a child I can remember our doctor and dentist provided free health care to the people who could not afford it, that is now illegal. Churches always made sure food and clothing was available and sometimes provided shelter. The homeless were taken to the county home were my mother gave art lessons and others taught woodworking and other useful skills. The homeless were pretty much nonexistent compared to today. This is now all gone. The federal government regulations have made it impossible for communities to look after their own.

I am not up on all the changes but I do now there is a BIG difference and it is not all for the better.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
theme song of the current administration

That's excellent.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Then again if this is an example of what we have become God help us!

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Great post here that just goes to show what is continueing to happen to this once great country.
sad really sad!
Link here

OK now that is a conspiracy!

The thread just vanished as soon as I linked to it What happened?

I'll post it when it shows its head again

[edit on 15-12-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The dumbing down of America started with NAFTA, CAFTA and all the other FFTA's causing outsourcing. Think of all the people that didn't learn a skill or trade or even got their engineering job outsourced to India for example. Now they wonder why nobody is buying and sales are down in the US

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I just wanted to thank everybody who has replied lets hope for a better tomorrow.

PEACE

SLAY

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The beginning of the decline of the United States was Lyndon B. Johnson's GREAT SOCIETY.

That alone, financially began the destruction of the American family. Where values, work ethic, personal responsibility, and personal growth were tossed right down the crapper by an increasing percentage of the population.

Then they had children, who are having children. The most depressing and confusing day of the year in many neighborhoods was Father's Day.

Not a clue who that may be. Nor the benefit of what a good father brings into the family relationship.

So we have retards, breeding retards, who have been on the dole now for generations, and will pass to their offspring.

Education? They don't want any of it, and yet since by law they are required to attend and progress through the school systems, we've lowered our school standards to abominably low levels of achievemant.

No, these 'tards are sinking our nation, and taking the rest of us with it.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dooper

That's an interesting perspective. I've never looked at it that way before.
Thanks.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Then again if this is an example of what we have become God help us!

Miss South Carolina should become a politician.

Talk about dodging a simple question.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

It's a NWO conspiracy she will dumb us to death.
Watches the video again then walks away shaking his head and turns off the light.

And they never heard from him again
The end

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Giving this thread a bump. I wrote this before the last election. I want to see if there have been any CHANGE since the new President has been in office.

Your thoughts?

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Gosh darn we have a great country, just look at our flag! Gee wilikers.
I can hear the Andy Griffin theme song whisteling in my head. I want a hot dog.

PS: I love the dumb beauty queen. She's swell.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Ok, so that was sarcasm, which amuses me.
For the sake of honesty and discussion, here are my true feelings.

I have no patriotism anymore. All of that Norman Rockwell, American Pie idealism is gone, gone, gone!

I believe this country has been under the inffluence of TPTB for a very, very long time. I would hate to think that the Founding Father's were also TPTB but suspect that they might have been. I love the Earth and all the land in America, some of the people but not the institution of America.

So that is how I feel about it.

Except I do love the dumb beauty queen.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
What concerns me is the number of U.S. citizens that have decided to tear down their own country when they write or speak or act.

I have recently posted on other threads and basically accused certain member here of being what they used to call "5th columnists" - people who work from the inside to subvert the country. You see them all the time now here on ATS and I have to thank SLAYER69 for leading the charge and taking them on. I'm not talking about "dissent" here, which is part of our rights. No, this goes way beyond dissent when anything and everything American is attacked with the intent to destroy it.

There is a reason - often forgotten - why the oath everyone in the U.S. takes when they assume a civic or government office says:

"... I promise to defend this country against all enemies, foreign or domestic ..."

The reason for the part I underlined can be found right here on ATS.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The Starfish Story

One day a man was walking along the seashore. He noticed that during the night many seashells and starfish had washed upon the beach. Thoroughly enjoying the morning sun and cool sea air, the man walked for miles.

As he strolled along, he noticed a small figure dancing in the distance. It made him chuckle to think of someone celebrating life in such an uninhibited way. As he drew closer, however, it became apparent that the figure was not dancing. Instead, she seemed to be repeatedly performing some ritual.

He drew nearer still and noticed that the small figure was a child. She was methodically picking up starfish and tossing them into the surf. He paused for a moment, puzzled, then asked, "Why are you throwing these starfish?"

"It's high tide," she replied, "If I leave them on the beach, the sun will soon dry them and they will die. I am throwing them into the ocean so they can live." The man considered her actions, impressed with the child's thoughtfulness. Then he motioned up and down the miles of the beach. "There must be thousands of starfish along here," he said, "you cannot possibly make a difference."

The young girl stopped. Her face darkened. She chewed thoughtfully on her lower lip, "You're probably right," she said softly. She looked down at the sand. Then she leaned over, carefully picked up another starfish, pulled back and arched it gently into the sea.

With a tone of gentle defiance, she said, "But I made a difference for that one”

I suppose it’s unavoidable that as a people, we get bogged down and disheartened; given the “big picture” it is rather ominous. However, I see good happening everywhere, everyday, in my life and in the lives of those around me. Sometimes, we need to be reminded of the individuals, the few who are working to make a difference; if only in the lives of a few. Sometimes, it’s just one at a time. But that matters…

What happened to “America” the idea?

America “the country” lost its focus, lost its way, forgot the foundations that made it strong and made it that “beacon of light” for immigrants all over the world. Over time, we were faced with the metaphorical “two roads diverged in the woods” in Robert Frost’s poem and we took the “path followed” rather than the “path not followed” and we've been walking it since.

Now, we’re coming to another crossroad and we have to choose again… Which path will it be this time?

[edit on 5-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join