It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 - The myth exposed.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Does anybody remember Y2K? New Years Eve 1999 the world stopped and waited,.. and then,.. the clocks ticked over,.. and,.... NOTHING! How foolish are we! How foolish are the people who stocked up on life supplies of water and food because of the mere date!

Why is this so foolish? You may think they were smart and prepared for the worst. However, the question is what exactly did these people think was going to happen?!?!

2012 is just another date. 12 years after Y2K and we haven't learned a damn thing. If the government confirmed the so called "coming of Nibiru" why would it not call upon all minds of the world to solve the cataclysmic event? Keep in mind that they themselves have no answer to what they would do during a catastrophe of this nature. They would simply need everyone they could get, and disclosure would come directly after scientific evidence.

The problem however is that there is no scientific evidence. People will run their mouth that the telescope on the South Pole is to track Nibiru; a claim that is entirely unjustified considering you would not be able to see it any better at the South Pole than anywhere in the southern hemisphere - possibly anywhere on earth.

Additional lacking of evidence comes from the millions of civilian contractor scientists working with space seeking new planets on a daily basis. They use multimillion dollar telescopes to cruise the sky looking for incoming threats, discovering new planets, monitoring planetary alignment, seeking space anomalies, tracking alignment of satellites (and the telescopes on many of them), etc.

Mankind is just foolish enough to get tripped up on these dates. Let's not forget however that Jesus Christ died 7 years prior to 0AD. This would make the current date 11/24/2015. Oh crap we missed it, oh well just have to wait another 3600 years

Let's break down some scientific facts shall we?

Have a look at the following diagram and tell me what you think is incorrect about it.

Nibiru Cycle

Now tell me what is out of place in this picture. Yep, you guessed it! The planet that is supposedly the size of Saturn is on some ridiculously sloppy, mis-angled, mis-interpreted cycle!

How come all of the planets are in perfect rotation of the sun except this mysterious planet whom nobody has any evidence for? Assuming it did indeed come 3600 years ago, the sheer gravitational force of a planet this size coming so close to our tiny little planets would have devastated the human race - or better yet devastated our tiny little planet.

Mercury, Venus, Earth, The Moon, and Mars are all supposedly smaller than this planet, yet when it came right in front of all 5 it didn't even pull on them enough to make an oblong year cycle. This would contradict Einstein's mathematical theories entirely which would prove "Nibiru" to merely destroy any planet it comes in contact with by sheer gravitational force. If these 5 planets have not been pulled off of planetary alignment, and are still in great shape (no planetary dust that would signal a recent explosion) then this one is starting to look busted.

If it were to come in contact and collide with any of these 5 planets (entirely possible due to gravitational pull of Nibiru) they would have been obliterated off of our radar and the space dust created would have circled and eventually landed on Nibiru, the planet in which collided with them.

Let's calculate the sheer force of Nibiru on planet earth using Isaac Newton's law of Universal Gravitational Force.

The Formula (This is calculated in Kilograms and assumes a distance of Nibiru to planet earth of 450,000KM or 450,000,000 Meters):
Force of Gravity ~ (mass1 X mass2) / distance^2
Earth's Mass = 5.9742 × 10^24
Nibiru's Assumed Mass (double Earth's) = 1.19484 × 10^25
(5.9742 × (10^24)) X 1.19484 × (10^25) = 7.13821313 × 10^49
7.13821313 × 10^49 / 450,000,000^2 = 3.52504352 × 10^32

The sheer gravitational force is (in newtons):
3.52504352 × 10^32
OR
100000000000000000000000000000000 X 3.52504352 Newtons

Let's put this into perspective with some Newtonian Examples:

Gravitational attraction between Earth and Moon :: 2^26 Newtons
Gravitational attraction between Earth and Sun :: 2.1^28 Newtons
Gravitational attraction between "Nibiru" and planet Earth :: 3.52504352 × 10^32 Newtons

As you can see this is an extraordinary amount of gravitational force. This is merely calculated for force against earth, but the truth of the matter is the gravitational force would be outward affecting all planets in our solar system. Given the current nature of our cyclic solar system, and circular rotation around the sun, we are safe to assume that this amount of Newtonian force was never brought as wrath down on Earth. The sheer effects would be effecting our planetary cycle to this day. It would be an amazement of science that all 5 smaller planets supposedly were completely unaffected by this force that supposedly brought it's wrath on earth 3600 years ago.

I am starting to wonder if this is more Christian scare tactics as in the Bible it mentions "The day the earth stood still" - another theory which I believe is totally unacceptable.

At the equator, the earth is rotating at a speed that is about 1,670 km/hr, or 1,070 mi/hr. However, it is traveling around the sun at a rate of 67,000 mph.

The only possible act of gravity would be to stop the rate of traveling around the sun (67,000mph) because gravity is pulling on the object and does not have the effect of stopping it dead in it's tracks. It would have to halt our planet which weighs 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (6E+24) kilograms traveling at a rate of 67,000 MPH. Good luck Nibiru.

If we are to assume the Earth will stand still on the arrival of Nibiru we can expect a few things. First of all we depend highly on both the rotation of earth on it's axis for our 24 hour periods as well as the rotation around the sun for yearly periods including seasons and weather cycles. A halt to all of this would be devestating and it is likely we never recover from it. Secondly we must note that if this has happened in the past how did earth begin moving again? You could assume gravity, but for the precise climate needed to maintain the variety of species that have evolved on this planet that is impossible. Earth never stopped spinning either on it's axis or around the Sun - because if it did we would see the effects of it to this day (I.E. we would have to start it back up again).

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Now I promised I would put a section in here dedicated to the Mayan calender. After all, it can be said that they created this whole fuss.

The Mayan calendar consists of many different cycles that work together. These include the long count, the calendar round, the short count, and the 819 day cycle among others. The dating system that doomsday entrepreneurs use is the long count. The long count is made of several cycles that work like an odometer. For Mayan era dates, as well as modern dates, five cycles need to be used. From the largest to the smallest they are -

* B'aktun = 20 k'atun
K'atun = 20 tun
Tun = 18 winal
Winal = 20 k'in
K'in = 1 day

An example of a long count would be 9.15.10.0.0. There a 9 b'aktuns, 15 k'atuns, 10 tuns, and no winals or k'ins.

The long count that is supposed to be the end of the world is 13.0.0.0.0. The day before is 12.19.19.17.19. The main significance of 13.0.0.0.0 is of course the number of zeroes.

However, the long count does not end at that point. There are many cycles beyond the b'aktun that can be used to describe any date. The are several instances of extremely large dates used. Coba Stela 1 has a long count that adds up to 41,943,040,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years. Also, Macanxoc Stela 1 has a long count in the initial series that is 13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13 .13.13.13.0.0.0.0. Their is no limit to the long count other than the size of the writing surface used and the patience of the scribe.

The other problem with 13.0.0.0.0 is determining the equivalent Gregorian calendar date. To do this you need a correlation between the two systems. Most Mayanists use the astronomical (584285) or the GMT (584283) correlation. Using the astronomical correlation places 13.0.0.0.0 on December 21, 2012 and the GMT gives a date of December 23. However, there is some question as to how accurate these correlations are.

The following paper describes some of the problems with the GMT correlation and points out that GMT may be off by 260 years!

K'in in the Hieroglyphic Record: Implications of a Pattern of Dates at Copan, Honduras by Gerardo Aldana.

Other correlations place 13.0.0.0.0 anywhere from December 11, 1614 (Willson 438906) to August 12, 2532 (Weitzel 774078).

I should also point out that classical Mayan civilization collapsed around 900 AD (using GMT) and the last long count inscriptions were from around the same time. That would be somewhere around 10.3.15.X.X, which I don't think was predicted.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Click the image for full view. This is what will happen and nothing else. This is what the Mayans predicted, it is only a spectacular view from earth during winter solstice.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by Waldy]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

Ah yes thank you Waldy I did not mention the galactic alignment. I will not attempt to debunk the galactic alignment as it is an astronomical possibility. However, there is just simply no evidence that this galactic alignment will have any affect to us humans on earth - and additionally does not benefit the evidence towards the existence of Nibiru.

EDIT: I look forward to what it may look like in our sky
. Never really heard of what it will "look like" as the planetary alignment occurs.

[edit on 24/11/2008 by blowfishdl]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It's just playing out like Y2K, the worlds going to end, Aliens are going to show them selfs, we are moving on to level 2(lol), ect. Mean while people are making lots of money off the back of it!

If nothing happens on the date of 2012, put your money on it that they will be a new date!

IMHO!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Niburu is just one of many theories out there and not even the most 'populair' of all, another one is that around that date we will be going into the 'dark rift'

It is discussed Here

Open letter: This demonstrates that the Maya understood the
region of the Galactic Center as a source-point or birth place.

Stevan Davies: If the "birth canal" statement above is valid,
then it does demonstrate as you say it does... tautologically,
for the dark rift is the center of the galaxy. This, however,
makes it all the more important for you to show that the Galactic
Center was a "birth canal" in the minds of the ancient Maya.

JMJ: The dark-rift POINTS TO the center of the galaxy. I’ve shown
that the Galactic Center region of the sky was understood by
ancient Mesoamerican thinkers as a birthplace, through the
identification of the nearby dark-rift as a birthplace. The other
factor in my open letter is the crossroads, providing another
complex of symbols that indicate "center," supporting my thesis
from an entirely separate direction. One set of evidence might be
dismissed as coincidence. But two?

Open letter: The cross formed by the Milky Way with the ecliptic
near Sagittarius has been identified at Palenque and elsewhere as
the Mayan Sacred Tree." Etc.

Stevan Davies: That appears to be the case. But I don't think a
great many people have found that that identification has been
cogently and convincingly argued to the point that one can say it
is established. Rather, I think one can only say that the
identification has been suggested.

So You can't debunk the 2012 myth by debunking Niburu, you can debunk Niburu and the chances are good that you are correct that a planet that size will practicly destroy the whole system so that is a reason to believe that niburu does not exist.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by Harman]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

Thank you for providing the dark rift theory this is one I am yet to dabble in. It was my intentions to debunk Nibiru and the massive death of mankind to ease fear mongering surrounding the subject. Especially with the growing amount of "evidence" posted on YouTube and sites alike.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

It should be mentioned, that "alignment" actually occurs on an annual basis.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
reply to post by Harman

Thank you for providing the dark rift theory this is one I am yet to dabble in. It was my intentions to debunk Nibiru and the massive death of mankind to ease fear mongering surrounding the subject. Especially with the growing amount of "evidence" posted on YouTube and sites alike.

That is a noble cause
Although hurtling towards some 'dark rift' is not something to party about, on the other hand it is called 'the birth canal' so that can't be all bad i'd say. Better than devourer of worlds or deathray alley or something

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

Additionally I cannot find any sources referring to this "dark rift" without coincidentally referring to the Mayans or 2012 in the same article.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by blowfishdl

I know what you mean but it is to be found i think, if i find something i'm sure to post it here. At least my link was something on the .edu domain and not 2012weareallgonnabeeatenby10thdimensionalzombies.com

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
i was trying to start a thread but maybe I'll just ad to this one.

I'm relatively new here and consider myself open-minded (although 95% of users on here would probably call me a skeptic). I've been reading ATS threads for the past 2 weeks and I'm wondering why so many people believe that so many completely random and seemingly unrelated events are going to happen on the year 2012. Why, keeping the Mayan calender (or any other civilizations/societys date/cycle) completely out of it, do so many people on here believe that everything from a paper cut to communists taking over to the planet exploding is going to happen to fall on the year 2012? Are there any reasons?

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
www.badastronomy.com...

Space is filled with dust. This has been known for a long time; you cen see it for yourself on a dark, cloudless night. Look for the Milky Way, the faint patch of light that is actually the glow from all the stars in our Galaxy. From a very dark site, you can see that the glow isn't smooth; it is broken up by irregular dark patches. In the constellation Cygnus, high in the summer for the northern hemisphere, there is actually a long dark streak through the Milky Way, called the Dark Rift. You southern folks can see a dark patch appropriately called the Coal Sack. Photographs show these even better.
Perhaps the most famous case is the Horsehead nebula, located in the constellation of Orion. There, the black patch looks eerily like a giant chesspiece, silhouetted against the red veil of glowing gas behind it.

What you are seeing in all these examples is dark material blocking the light from stars and gas behind it. The composition of the material itself remained a mystery for a long time. Now we know what it is: to quote Drs. Paul May and David Field (astronomers who study dust), dust is comprised of ``mainly of silica (SiO2), magnesium and iron silicates (e.g. olivine, orthopyroxine, forsterite), amorphous carbon or water ice''.
What that means is that the dust is a complex collection of different types of materials, most of which is actually rather common here on Earth. The particles of dust are not little spheres, though, they form long chains and clumps. ``Long'' is a relative term, of course; most of these clumps are a millionth of a meter or so across! But there's a lot of them.

milky-way.org.ru...

The light year is a measure of distance. Light travels 186,282 miles in one second. A light year is the distance that light travels in one year, or 5,880,000,000,000 miles.

# All the stars that we can see at night are part of our own Milky Way Galaxy.
# Our Milky Way Galaxy contains as many as 300 billion stars. The average galaxy is thought to contain around 100 billion stars.
# Like other spiral galaxies we can view from space, the Milky Way Galaxy is disk-shaped spiral with a central bulge. The diameter of the disk is approximately 100,000 light years; the central bulge is about 16,000 light years.
# Our solar system is located on a spiral arm of the Milky Way Galaxy, about two thirds of the way out from the center.
# Nonluminous matter (dust, etc.) creates bands or dark lanes that obscure starlight; these dark rifts can be seen from very dark locations with the naked eye.
# The center of the Milky Way is surrounded by a spherical halo of about 150 globular clusters. A globular cluster is a densely packed ball of stars containing hundreds of thousands or even millions of stars. The stars of globular clusters are low in metals and were thus formed when the Galaxy was young and less highly evolved.
# The central region of the Galaxy contains old stars and little in the way of dust and gas; the disk of the galaxy contains gas, dust, younger stars with more complex chemical compositions, and active regions of star formation like the Orion nebula.
# 90% of the matter in the universe is nonluminous. Our Galaxy is centered in a halo of nonluminous dark matter that may be ten times larger than the visible portion of the spiral disk.
# It takes our Sun about 200 million years to complete one orbit of the center of the Milky Way.
# The nearest star to our Sun is Alpha Centauri at a distance of 4 light years or 25 trillion miles.

#Dark lanes can frequently be seen in distant, edge-on galaxies, as in the case of NGC891 below

Google link

So the dark rift is not a myth, if and when we go through that thing is another story but you can read up about those theories as well without implicating 2012 directly.

Like the article qouted. It just says we are going sideways through the Milky way, with other words it's possible we are heading for the dark rift aka centreline of the milky way. Aligned with the big [whatever] in the centre itself ( but horizontally out of the way)
www.space.com...

Solar System Sails Sideways Through Milky Way

Our solar system is hurtling through space while angled nearly perpendicular to the plane of the Milky Way, new computer models suggest.

"It's almost like we're sailing through the galaxy sideways," said study team leader Merav Opher, an astrophysicist at George Mason University in Virginia.

The findings, detailed in the May 11 issue of the journal Science, suggest the magnetic field in the galactic environment surrounding our solar system is pitched at a sharp angle and not oriented parallel to the plane of the Milky Way as previously thought.

My apologies for derailing this topic if you really want to keep discussing Niburu by the way but i got carried away

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by borachon
i was trying to start a thread but maybe I'll just ad to this one.

I'm relatively new here and consider myself open-minded (although 95% of users on here would probably call me a skeptic). I've been reading ATS threads for the past 2 weeks and I'm wondering why so many people believe that so many completely random and seemingly unrelated events are going to happen on the year 2012. Why, keeping the Mayan calender (or any other civilizations/societys date/cycle) completely out of it, do so many people on here believe that everything from a paper cut to communists taking over to the planet exploding is going to happen to fall on the year 2012? Are there any reasons?

hahaha! Quite an observant observation you have made already. Possibly more obvious to a new outsider to the ATS community.

You see, conspiracy theorists and conspiracy believers are among the most paranoid of human beings. Just a couple of notches below schizophrenics. It takes a very small spark to ignite the powder keg of paranoia and often it can consume peoples lives as it does with cults.

It is important to put your foot down and seek truth. There is an estimated 80% false statements on the internet and I don't know if I would even give the internet a 20% truth ratio.

2012 is only significant because the Mayans made it appear that way. The only significance is no greater than the rollover to the Y2k. The significance is in the amount of zero's. Have a look at this excerpt from my original post.

The long count that is supposed to be the end of the world is 13.0.0.0.0. The day before is 12.19.19.17.19. The main significance of 13.0.0.0.0 is of course the number of zeroes.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The evidence suggests that massive cataclysms occur on this planet cyclically.
As far back as we can look for written records its just 6000 years.

Something happens here like clock work. And its coming back to clean our clock again.
Your right what an idiot I am for paying attention to history.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSOM87
It's just playing out like Y2K, the worlds going to end, Aliens are going to show them selfs, we are moving on to level 2(lol), ect. Mean while people are making lots of money off the back of it!

If nothing happens on the date of 2012, put your money on it that they will be a new date!

IMHO!

actually kiddy...

dec 21st 2012 isn't a "date" when something "BIG" will happen..

it's just a galactiv equinox where we begin to travel through a different area of the galaxy.

thats true science for ya buddy kidd!

maybe we will experience somethign new of have a better view at other places in teh galaxy once we begin to travel past the centerline and into the newer area.

it's funny all these 2012 debunkers say it will happen on this one date at this one time etc..

stupid kiddies.

it's just a marker.. where we're going to actually be going through the exact center alignment of the galaxy's central axis..
and we'll be entering a time in history where we'll be in a different area of space... (yes we're always in a different area of space but this is a marker) etc etc..

how the mayans knew this millenia ago... i dunno...

give me a break tho kiddies.. nobody says anything is going to happen EXACTLY on that date...
it's just a beginning of a time where we're actually going to be in a different area of our galaxy.

//smak//

-

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Harman

Good research harmen..

I have found out why we could not find it on sites other than 2012 sites. It is simply referred to as the Milky Way's Galactic Center.

How far away is it from earth and our solar system you might ask?

It is located about 7.6 kiloparsecs (24,800 LY) away from the Earth.[W]

Can our entire solar system reach this distance in a mere 4 years?

Edit: More information on this...

Q:
Is our solar system moving or traveling within our Galaxy? Is our Galaxy traveling or moving in the Universe? If so, how fast?

A:
Our solar system, containing the Sun and the planets, is about 2/3 of the way out from the center of the Galaxy. The solar system travels in an orbit around the center of the Galaxy, at a velocity (i.e. speed) of a few hundred kilometers per second, completing one orbit around the center of the Milky Way about every 230 million years. In addition, the solar system is moving at about 20 kilometers per second with respect to the nearby stars. There is also a small amount of motion with respect to the plane of the Galaxy. Currently, the solar system is heading outwards but the gravitational pull of the stars in the galactic plane will eventually cause it to stop and then move back towards the galactic plane.

And yes, our whole Galaxy is also traveling through space. Within the local group of galaxies, the Milky Way's velocity is several hundred kilometers per second.

Therefor we are traveling around the actual center of the Milky Way, not towards it.

[edit on 24/11/2008 by blowfishdl]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Harman

This Dark Rift theory has been debunked by REAL astronomers.

The solar system moves perpendicular to the galactic plane in a harmonic fashion, with a period of 52 to 74 million years. The Sun and planets passed through the galactic plane about 2-3 million years ago and are moving "UP". Next passing will be in 30 MILLION years or so. I cant wait!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

It's not the centre that we will be crossing (eventually
) but the centre line. So the crossing is vertically but not horizontically centred.

And waldy, can you give any links for that? Would love to read up on it

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

From what i've seen on here so far I have to agree

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join