It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Billboards are Going up for the Holidays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
atheist-themed billboards
Key Quote: "Don't believe in God? You're not alone."

My question is why are these billboards incurring the wrath of the religious masses?

They aren't trying to dispprove the Bible or other religious texts but are only reaching out to those who do not believe in God.

What do ATSers think?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well, it is their 1st Amendment right to put up these signs.

And I don't see them "incurring any wrath", at least not yet.

But I do think the slogan they used is ironic.."You are not alone".

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

www.freethoughtaction.org...

You're correct. You could almost take this to mean that even if you don't believe, God is still with you. Slightly amusing.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akuryotaisan16
What do ATSers think?

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to put together some kind of support group for atheists who feel as though they're getting too much crap from friends, family and religious society at large, particularly during the "Holy Days."

However, if they're trying to bring together atheists for some kind of political action group to counteract activist religious groups, I think it might be a bit of a waste of time and money. Atheists are notoriously hard to organize, and most of them just want to avoid religion and any discussion of it, since it generally accomplishes nothing.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Put them up, leave them up, and get even more of them. The way atheists are being portrayed as strange, weird devil-worshippers by politicians and the mainstream media needs to STOP. We need to take these people to school.

@ "trying to disrupt the validity of Christianity" - LOL. When has it had any?

"If they don't believe in God, how do they believe they came about?" - We'd be glad to tell you, or you can even easily research it for yourself.

"The Bible says that faith is the evidence of things not seen. Evidence. If we ignore the evidence for gravity or the Creator, that's really dangerous" - He said evidence a lot but THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THERE. FAITH != EVIDENCE. Bible != Credible source. You cannot ignore gravity because it is an observable, verifiable part of physics.

"Income tax doesn't not exist because somebody doesn't believe in it. And the same is true with our Creator." - Worst argument ever.

If I could get any open-minded Christian's attention to read one page or watch a video for 5 minutes, I could have them realize how foolish their religion is (or any religion for that matter.) But sadly they are so indoctrinated that they can't think for themselves. But hey, here's hoping these ads can at least wake up a small percentage.

Even if I did believe, if the God of the Bible would be the last horrible deity I'd worship.

[edit on 11/14/2008 by Yarcofin]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Yarcofin

There is a major difference between believing in a Creator and endorsing a religion. Not all believers are necessarily Christians.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
If I could get any open-minded Christian's attention to read one page or watch a video for 5 minutes, I could have them realize how foolish their religion is (or any religion for that matter.)

I don't think so. I've never seen that happen. People don't give up their irrational beliefs when presented with rational arguments. If anything, it creates a feeling of persecution, which strengthens their resolve and makes them seek out others for support.

The only way a believer gives up their beliefs is by questioning themselves, not by others questioning them. It's a personal matter, which is why atheists are difficult to organize. They did it on their own. It's kind of the reverse of why there are few if any truly Gnostic churches. Once you have the knowledge, the rest of the stuff becomes inconsequential. No need for a church. No need for any other organization.

That being said, if you know how life came to be, I'd like to hear it.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

The only way a believer gives up their beliefs is by questioning themselves, not by others questioning them.

Agree and disagree...

I know that a life changing experience can do it as well...questioning ones own beliefs is the right way IMO, but I know of two ex-believers that due to very traumatic and insane life experiences (each was separate) went from believing to full denial...

It was a great moment in their lives me thinks.....

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by chapter29
I know that a life changing experience can do it as well...questioning ones own beliefs is the right way IMO, but I know of two ex-believers that due to very traumatic and insane life experiences (each was separate) went from believing to full denial...

Curiously, I've encountered some people who have exactly the opposite happen to them. Something horrific happens, against all odds they manage to emerge relatively unscathed, and they think the Old Man in the Sky is looking out for them, or has a plan for them, or something. Of course, it's only temporary, and something eventually happens (disease, accident, death) that they don't escape from. But they don't look at it that way.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Nothing curious about it...your spot on.

What happened to each was truly odd...both "counted" on their faith and religion to get them through a very bad situation to no avail...

It was a culmination of circumstance and timing...the end result was a 'bitterness' to the previous held belief that has not ended today...and yes, in both situations...

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It makes me so happy that an atheist finally has enough money and balls to do this!

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What the religious masses fail to comprehend is.
Jesus was not born in December.
December 25th and Christmas as they have so named it, is actually Saturnalia.
A pagan celebration of worship of the planet Saturn, who, is the base reference to Lucifer.
This is forced upon all people without choice (Public holidays) by the Luciferian Global controllers to ensure all people are taking part in pagan Luciferian rituals.
Even if you don't want to celebrate it, everything still stops.
All these facts you can go look up for yourself its not just someone saying them they are historical facts people like to Ignore.
Because of course Ignorance is bliss isn't it.

new topics

top topics

join