It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did B Movies from 50s & 60s ruin serious UFO investigation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I mean, at what point in time did the UFO phenomenon become a laughing matter to most scientists? Is it possible the government encouraged films like this to get people to not take the topic seriously?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I think the opposite happened as the B movies started becoming A the subject has become more mainstream than ever.

At least the idea of possible life elsewhere.

TV and Movies have introduced us to Vulcans and the like.

I think as good as it was Star Trek could wrongly be considered by some as a B Rated TV show from the 70's

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Well...maybe the opposite, because without sci-fi movies not too many people would have heard of or become interested in the subject.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It didn't ruin UFO research it unfortunately started it and the movies fuel it to this very day. Its called cultural tracking.
The movies seemingly predicting the future which some people then claim to experience while in some altered state of consciousness. If you follow the description of some UFOs you will find over time that they change shape as there shape changes in the movies. This also goes for the aliens although to a lesser degree. Betty and Barney Hill, celebrated as the first abduction, were a mixed race couple who were afraid of the racists and bigots who could cause them trouble. Its not by pure accident that their aliens wore nazi uniforms and hats! And so it goes on.
Then there's the military UFOs that are flying about in our skies. So easy to deny responsibility when UFO groups all over the place are telling the press that they're martian saucers or pleidian scout ships.
If there are any real aliens visiting this planet you can bet they're laughing their bulbous green heads off at just how easy it is to violate are air space!

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I think it did ruin it. It became the joke that people always used when rejecting the claims, and people for whatever reason assumed that it first started in the movies itself, rather then the reverse.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Well, the point I'm trying to make is- that most scientists today disregard the UFO phenomenon without making much effort to investigate. If shown some of the good compelling evidence that exists today, many of them might be swayed into thinking that something is worthy of investigation.

However, many of these earlier scientists/academia/whoever dismissed the topic offhand from prejudice. I believe they pictured little green men with ray guns, monsters in the sky, "take me to your leader,"and many other silly things from the crap movies of the time.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bruise

Scientists only disregard the UFO topic because it's full to the brim with fakes, charlatans and abductee wannabees. A scientist values his reputation beyond all else so getting involved with a subject that has damaged some careers and is a potential minefield littered with those who thought they could get past the ridicule and cynicism is asking too much.
I, frankly, would be more impressed with the UFO field if one wasn't turning up in the skies above our heads every other day.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
B Movies didn't ruin UFOlogy. Sensationalist Authors, Conspiracy Theorists, Hoaxers, Attention Seekers, Cult Wackos, Thousands of Misidentifications and Self Professed 'Experts' ruined it.

Like the people you see in my signature!

IRM

[edit on 14/11/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I don't think they all ruined the UFO subject - more likely they helped to promote them.

I've got a feeling that once NASA found out what was really out there, that's when the disinfo and ridicule began - big time.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

But those frauds and hucksters are all balanced by Ed Wood. A true genius.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
B Movies didn't ruin UFOlogy. Sensationalist Authors, Conspiracy Theorists, Hoaxers, Attention Seekers, Cult Wackos, Thousands of Misidentifications and Self Professed 'Experts' ruined it.

Like the people you see in my signature!

IRM

[edit on 14/11/08 by InfaRedMan]

It goes a full circle I reckon. These whackos were probably influenced by these movies. just think if V wasn't made....We wouldn't have all these looneys thinking reptilians are real

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bruise

An excellent suggestion.

First impressions last. If you first hear about a subject and it is presented to you as humour or fiction, how do you react years later when someone brings the subject up?

For years it has been in your subconscious as "not real" or "funny", so how do you react?
Maybe that's why some people still giggle when you mention "aliens from outer space". When you think about it, it's not a humourous subject, but a rather interesting one.

Originally posted by Chadwickus
It goes a full circle I reckon. These whackos were probably influenced by these movies. just think if V wasn't made....We wouldn't have all these looneys thinking reptilians are real

A lot of people who believe in reptilians I've met haven't even heard of that series. Maybe the series was created for the reasons I stated above?

After all, once the idea is first presented to you as fiction, it can't possibly be real, can it?

[edit on 14/11/08 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Too true! LOL!

I've often thought that "V - The Series" has a lot to answer for but do we blame the medium or the interpretation thereof? It does sometimes appear as though the UFO phenomena follows closely in the footsteps of Hollywood.

IRM

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
I don't think they all ruined the UFO subject - more likely they helped to promote them.

I've got a feeling that once NASA found out what was really out there, that's when the disinfo and ridicule began - big time.

Exactly

I remember watching a show where they asked a few NASA personnel and astronauts why they chose that field more often than not they mentioned a certain Sci-Fi movie or TV show that got them interested in science and space which in turn may lead to real proof on the subject of what are some of these UFOs

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
All of this is manipulated by the PTB. Of course the media is used to shape our beliefs and to control the amount of information we are privy to. And now with UFO related movies taking a more serious vein maybe the PTB are trying to tell us something

top topics

join