It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US receives 1.5 billion dollars in compensation from Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

US receives 1.5 billion dollars in compensation from Libya

afp.google.com

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The United States said Friday that Libya has paid the full 1.5 billion dollars to compensate victims of terrorism, clearing the last hurdle to a full normalization of ties with Washington.

Meanwhile, President George W. Bush, fulfilling his part of the compensation bargain sealed in August, signed an order Friday to restore Libya's immunity to legal action pending in US courts, US officials said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
afp.google.com

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

The sum is to compensate US and other families for the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am flight over Lockerbie, Scotland, that killed 270 people, and for US families of a Berlin disco bombing that killed two Americans and hurt 50 others.

It's good to see Libya taking responsibility for these terrorist attacks, but I seriously doubt that they are willing to pay 1,5 billion USD for normalized relations only. I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of a deal has been made which offer something good to both countries (politically?)

afp.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Were the victims families ever compensated ? If so how much ?

If not, Are the Families going to be compensated or does the U.S. Gov. keep the money?

"And the receipt of the full amount agreed under the deal now clears the way for the Senate to approve Gene Cretz, whom Bush has nominated as ambassador to Libya, to his post in Tripoli and free up the funds for a new embassy there."

Free up the funds ??? A New Embassy ???

I need those "funds" !!!

Don't All of you ??

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Sounds like blackmail to me. How many other countries have had to pay the U.S. because a terrorist came out of their country?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Does this mean that we owe money to Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria since the world now wants terrorists to pay for their actions?

-Ign0ranT

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ign0rant
Does this mean that we owe money to Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria since the world now wants terrorists to pay for their actions?

-Ign0ranT

Iraq already has billions of our dollars, but yes, I believe that the U.S. would now owe Afghanistan, Syria, AND Pakistan.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This isnt because "a terrorist came out of their country" its because their government was linked to and involved in the attack. They admitted it and they paid up.

Originally posted by Mekanic
Sounds like blackmail to me. How many other countries have had to pay the U.S. because a terrorist came out of their country?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
dont forget the fine print where America agreed to block any other country from seeking compensation from Libya for any terrorist attacks... i will look for the link and edit it in...

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Iraq and Afghanistan are both being compensated. Pakistan has received funds as well from the US for the WOT. Syria is not being compenstaed but they are allowing terrorists to flow from their country unimpeded to launch attacks in Iraq. So when they get struck back then there is no need for compensation as they wouldnt have been hit in the first place if they were doing their job and fulfilling thier promises. Ditto for Pakistan.

Originally posted by Mekanic

Originally posted by Ign0rant

-Ign0ranT

Iraq already has billions of our dollars, but yes, I believe that the U.S. would now owe Afghanistan, Syria, AND Pakistan.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by princeofpeace]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
And what of Iran Ai Flight 655? a comercial airliner , in a comercial transit lane , squarwking comercail IFF - was engaged and shot down - and act of terrorism , by the USS Vincennes in 1988

the crew of the ship got medals for murdering 290 people including 66 children

yet no admission of a mistake ,or acceptance of responsibility was ever made.

a filthy act of direct terrorism if there ever was one.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

en.wikipedia.org...

In 1996, the United States and Iran reached "an agreement in full and final settlement of all disputes, differences, claims, counterclaims" relating to the incident at the International Court of Justice.[5] As part of the settlement, the United States agreed to pay $61.8 million in compensation for the Iranians killed.

The U.S. government issued notes of regret for the loss of human life and in 1996 paid reparations to settle a suit brought in the International Court of Justice regarding the incident.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wow, sounds like Libya is sueing for peace. Reminds me of Carthage's war indemity after the first punic war.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Im sure there a e a few more... but your post reminded me of Pamama.
Oh thats right it was a Bush there too.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by azureskys]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

the cost of terrorism sky-rocketed. Only cost the U.S. 62 million to kill a bunch of brown people from Iran, but it costs Libya 1.5 billion to kill a bunch of white people.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has said his government is keen to expand cooperation with Russia beyond the military and political sphere into trade and commerce and invited Russian investment and business to his country.

Gaddafi, on a visit to Russia, Saturday met President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin separately and assured them that "the door to enhancing cooperation in civilian spheres is open to Russia."

The Libyan leader told Putin later he expected progress in bilateral ties would have "a positive effect on the international situation and the geopolitical balance of power."

Gaddafi, who has ruled the oil and gas-rich African state since 1969, last visited the Russian capital in 1985, before the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Source

top topics

join