It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican allows vetting of future priests for gay leanings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Vatican allows vetting of future priests for gay leanings

www.abc.net.au

The Vatican acknowledges that psychological tests could help identify candidates for the Catholic priesthood who show homosexual tendencies, according to a document.

While condoning the use of such tests by Catholic seminaries, the document approved by Pope Benedict XVI says they must be strictly voluntary.

"Deep-seated homosexual tendencies" and "uncertain sexual identity" are listed in the document along with "excessive rigidity of character" and "strong affective dependencies" as traits that might make a candidate unsuitable for the priesthood.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I would love to see the test.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this. They have to do something, but the thing that I am a little intrigued by is the assumption that homosexuality = paedophilia:

Paedophile priest scandals that have hit the Catholic Church in recent years were not the "primary cause" behind the document, as the Church has reflected for decades on the relationship between religious faith and psychology, the Congregation's secretary, Monsignor Jean-Louis Brugues, told a news conference.

But they helped "accelerate" the process and were "certainly a determining factor," he said.

If a Priest is homosexual, the Priest automatically has tendancies to become a paedophile?

Is the Vatican trying to erradicate homosexual Priests or Paedophilia?

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-10-2008 by Thurisaz]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I cant beleive this. Talk about a gateway to hell for the millions of already victims of the church.Is this some sort of loophole to help them make it legal to play with alter boys,,. This is wrong on so many levels, hypocrites!

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Only because I think if the Church doesn't accept the man for being a homosexual then why the hell would he want to be a priest for it to begin with?...

[edit on 31-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
If a Priest is homosexual, the Priest automatically has tendancies to become a paedophile?

Nope.

They are completely different.

Heterosexual and homosexuals can both be pedophiles, but it is not intrinsic to those orientations. They are separate.

I am sure you already knew this though?

Is the Vatican trying to erradicate homosexual Priests or Paedophilia?

I am not sure. I am going to have to read more into this.

Fact of the matter is there has been a massive amount of pedophile cases with the Churches and not all of the victims were boys. Regardless, there is no direct association between homosexuality and pedophilia, just as there isn't for heterosexuality.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Only because I think if the Church doesn't accept the man for being a homosexual ....

actually, according to the church being a homosexual isn't a sin. It's the actual ACT of homosexuality that (allegedly) is. A person can't help what tendencies they have. It's when they say 'yes' to that drive that is the sin. (according to them).

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I understand that is the general position they have FF.

It doesn't matter which part of the process the Church deems as sin. Since they are born this way, at any stage for a homosexual; from feeling, to thought, to the act, will be homosexual in nature. Accepting it means you accept all those stages. You accept the nature of it. Otherwise you can't call it acceptance.

When the Church accepts a heterosexual man, they are not accepting his heterosexual sex, they are accepting that he is a heterosexual.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Over the past couple of decades the church just seems to be aching for a gay Pope, honestly, how long do you reckon' till we actually see one?

I think old Benny might be hiding a few dirty little secrets by the way.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Boy things must be getting bad,those offering plates must be comming up empty,kind of odd changing their doctrine,must of been all those lawsuits

new topics

top topics

join