It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petition to END the allowance of religious based threads in the General Conspiracy Forum.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Hello fellow ATS members, of all the forums on this site I normally participate in, the General Conspiracy Forum is the most frequent.

As the title of the thread states, I want everyone that makes a post in this thread to also cast a vote, whether they believe Religious based threads should be allowed, or they think they should not be allowed, and perhaps even relegated to a different forum (maybe a newly created "Religion" forum).

I make this thread due to the frustration I feel when I have to witness a thread such as the ones below. For those who don't know what I am talking about feel free to view the 2 threads below.

Did you know scientists are afraid of the bible?

What if jesus was never born?

The first thread, I participated in, as well as many other people. The only problem, it was completely pointless. As soon as a religion thread is created, it defeats the entire purpose of this whole forum. For once a religious conversation starts, it always ends in the same way.

The thread starter, most often the avid bible thumper (I use the word affectionately) will start by making an absolutely ludicrous statement, for instance, Did you know scientists are afraid of the bible? The only problem is that in the many pages of that thread, the OP never even supports his claims with evidence, and rather supplies endless quotes from the bible. No matter what logical and supported arguement that anyone on this forum could come up with, the OP was great at ignoring that and again adding more quotes.

The second thread, though I have refused to participate in and have not read past the first page ( which is alot of the same as the first thread ) is all based on a pointless question; "WHAT IF.... Jesus was never born" well the obvious problem with that statement is that of course he was never born, nullifying the whole point of the thread.

I think when anyone supports their inane argument, with quotes or references from a source that does not exist, or is proven to be discredited, the whole thread has become pointless.

I truly believe that these threads not only waste space on the forum, but they waste countless hours of members time, that could be better used on a thread with a point.

Vote cast for "Should not be allowed"

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
permission granted ..

! first order will be to not click on the GC Forum !

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SGSPatriot
permission granted ..

! first order will be to not click on the GC Forum !

I don't understand how religious quotes and pointless questions based on imaginary events, fall under the veil of general conspiracy. If anything, there should exist a religious conspiracy forum. Let them rot that forum all they want.

But for ANY moderator or administrator on this site, please simply spend an hour and review both threads I have listed above and please tell me that they are needed on this forum and provide value. If after that you think they do, please U2U me to discuss.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
While this probably should have gone to Board Business, or at least gone to the mods first,

I agree that there should be a "Religious Trolling" warning much like the "PoliticalTrolling"

It would be used when someone makes an atttempt to derail a thread by posting an inflamatory statement of a religious nature (or against it, in some cases.)

For instance, someone starts a hypothetical thread about a particularly heinous murder. Someone else who response with "That man was possessed because he listend to X band or watched X movie!" and offers no proof =a religious troll.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

If anything, there should exist a religious conspiracy forum. Let them rot that forum all they want.

King there is a CiR forum, and for the most part it isn't rot... those threads should have been moved, I give you that, but there's no reason to censor them out completely.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
While this probably should have gone to Board Business, or at least gone to the mods first,

I agree that there should be a "Religious Trolling" warning much like the "PoliticalTrolling"

It would be used when someone makes an atttempt to derail a thread by posting an inflamatory statement of a religious nature (or against it, in some cases.)

For instance, someone starts a hypothetical thread about a particularly heinous murder. Someone else who response with "That man was possessed because he listend to X band or watched X movie!" and offers no proof =a religious troll.

I agree, but the purpose of this thread is to ban the start of wacky religious threads that go no where but in circles, wasting the time of every contributor of that thread.

Please don't post in this thread, without a vote.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I just want to say i dont visit that forum lol.

I was just trying to help = P

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Okay then I vote "no."

I don't think that a thread should be censored just because some people consider it "wacky."

So long as the person has used the search function and hasn't violated the T&C, why censor?

There's wacky circular arguments in just about every part of ATS. There's wacky political circular arguments, wacky Reptilian Shapeshifter circular arguments, wacky chemtrail circular arguments.

Why censor just based on the topic?

If they're that bothersome to you, let me introduce you to the "ignore" button...

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

If anything, there should exist a religious conspiracy forum. Let them rot that forum all they want.

King there is a CiR forum, and for the most part it isn't rot... those threads should have been moved, I give you that, but there's no reason to censor them out completely.

Haha the funny part, is that several times I have looked for a forum that covered religion and now I see there is one.

Which brings me back to your point, MOVE THE DAMN THREADS!

Mods are soooo fast to jump on soooo many people over their mis-placed threads, yet these threads clog the GCF forever wasting everyones time and they are never moved.

PETITION CHANGED! Petition for mods to start doing their job in relation to religious based threads being misplaced, just as they do for every other misplaced post on the entire forum. Nothing more, nothing less. Just do their job. Not alot to ask is it?

And your "no" vote, was in relation to my latter posts in the thread and not the OT. Please vote on that, and my new petition displayed above
btw I am starring your response.

[edit on 30-10-2008 by king9072]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

U2U them directly, put this in Board Issues, or use the "contact us" function next time...

I feel your point completely, but let's keep the drama out of sight where at all possible, okay?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

U2U them directly, put this in Board Issues, or use the "contact us" function next time...

I feel your point completely, but let's keep the drama out of sight where at all possible, okay?

No drama, and I would have done "all of the above" but that removes the democratic process of a public forum such as this. If they were to make an executive decision that did not reflect the views of majority of forum go'ers, they wouldn't be doing their job.

So I put it to a petition or 'vote', each user has their input and we should see how it pans out before making changes.

Ill also have you note that my OP never mentions banning them outright, but instead moving them to their own forum, my only concern was with their presence in the GCF.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
If you try to ban us, God will strike you down!

LOL

Seriously, I am a religious Christian and those threads annoy me, too. I don't know if they should be banned. A religion section isn't a bad idea, though. That way, you at least know what you're in for when you go in.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
If you try to ban us, God will strike you down!

LOL

Seriously, I am a religious Christian and those threads annoy me, too. I don't know if they should be banned. A religion section isn't a bad idea, though. That way, you at least know what you're in for when you go in.

Wow, look at that, even a religious christian can't stand these threads. Now imagine how I feel, as well as many others.

And as I have mentioned a few times now, and as the thread title states as well as the my thread starting post, I simply want them removed from this forum. Let them go to their own forum and talk all day about it with like-minded individuals.

The fact remains, these threads GO NO WHERE in this forum, and should not be allowed (IN THIS FORUM!).

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I beleive you are in violation of T&C anyway:

1 e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership at The Above Network, LLC site(s) for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not post, use the chat feature or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
No evidence for the life of Jesus? Do you realize there is more evidence of him, than there is of YOU? That is a ridiculous statement. And if you are an athiest, I would like to point out that athiesm is also a religion, and is contradicted by a lot of scientific proof. Start with the Second Law of Thermodynamics; Everything goes from an ordered state, to a disordered state. Evolution says everything goes from a disordered state, to an ordered state! Refuted by the Second Law...
When the aliens/angels come down, the 'fallen' ones, and tell you that man did not evolve on Earth, that will seem like a great way out for you. But you will conveniently forget to ask where he did come from, and how he evolved anywhere else. People will give them the benefit of the doubt, not asking what their true motives are, but assuming they mean well. That is 'illogical'. 'Highly illogical'.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

You would probably get a better response, and make more friends if you U2U a mod, or put it in the "issues" forum...

This thread in itself might be a violation of the T&C...

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Thread Closed..

Terms and Conditions

1 e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership at The Above Network, LLC site(s) for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not post, use the chat feature or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

Semper

top topics

join