It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NKorea threatens to turn SKorea into "debris"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

NKorea threatens to turn SKorea into

www.breitbart.com

North Korea threatened Tuesday to turn South Korea into "debris" in an unusually strong statement that demanded Seoul halt what the communist state called its policy of confrontation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/28/2008 by ou_sooners_19]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I personally think that North Korea is bluffing. I don’t think they have the ability to turn South Korea into "debris" no matter how strong their 1.1 million man army is!

North Korea has always been the type to bully, but never get anywhere with it. Their people are homeless, jobless, and pretty much on the brink of Genocide under the Dictatorship of Kim Jong-Il.

My guess is that the U.S. would step in LONG before anything ever came to blows.

What do you guys think?

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
hmm, interesting development esp after the announcement that the Fed will buy $830 Billion of the Korean Development Bank's commercial paper

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I wonder if our politicians will be up in arms to protect SK from a potential holocaust, or does that only apply when the rhetoric is directed at Israel?

I can see this bluffing from both sides... NK to look tough during a possible changing of power, or the US saying "See? Told you they were dangerous!"

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Two salvos from all their artillery and S Korea would be nothing but debris.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I am not saying it is correct or should be done.............................

HOWEVER!!!!!, there is ALWAYS a however:

I was under the understanding the leaflets were dropped on N.K. (I assume by airplane).

I was under the understanding, that it basicly encouraged the N.K. people to rebel.......

Now, if this were done to:
Russia, England, France, United States...................if the same thing was done to them???

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
N. Korea most certainly can turn S. Korea into debris. They do have nukes, remember. And it's not an accusation anymore. Remember their nuclear test they did a few years ago and their missile tests where they launched ICBM's at Hawaii.

It's true their nuke test kind of fizzled, but I'm sure by now they have refined their nukes to be fully operational.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicalExplanation
N. Korea most certainly can turn S. Korea into debris. They do have nukes, remember. And it's not an accusation anymore. Remember their nuclear test they did a few years ago and their missile tests where they launched ICBM's at Hawaii.

It's true their nuke test kind of fizzled, but I'm sure by now they have refined their nukes to be fully operational.

They have crappy poorly-guided No-Dong missiles, they are hardly ICBMs.

NK doesn't have the technical knowhow to mate a true nuclear weapon with a delivery system.

The "nuclear test" was very, very small and possibly a conventional explosion with some Uranium sprinkled in.

North Korea cannot even feed it's citizens. Each night the entire country goes dark except for the wealthiest homes of party officials due to a crappy electrical infrastructure.

They hardly have the ability to nuke anyone.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If Kim is as sick (I refer to his physical health) as we think, would he be sick/crazy (mental health) enough to want to go out in a blaze of glory?????

Kim could not hope to believe, if he distroyed part of S.K., it would be allowed to pass.

The US would have to respond to attack on allie, as well as US having some 30-50K men on the border (that makes it a direct attack on American troops).

China would not be happy, at all. Would they roll in and reassert calm and peace?
I am not saying they want to help American troops or S.K., I AM saying they have a strong preference to"Business as usual"
Also consider that Nuclear/Chemical and or Biological weapns used by N.K. could have effects of those weapons as well as a mad rush of refugies.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Sounds like Major Head Games was right...that and about mold in the southwest. Remote viewing! Vote McCain!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes,
an aeroplane - Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn,
world serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs.
Feed it off an aux speak,, grunt, no, strength,
The ladder starts to clatter with fear fight down height.
Wire in a fire, representing seven games, a government for hire and a combat site.
Left of west and coming in a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck.
Team by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped.
Look at that low playing!
Fine, then.
Uh oh, overflow, population, common food, but it'll do.
Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and the revered and the right - right.
You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign towers.
Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn.
Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting.
Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.
Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down.
Watch your heel crush, crushed. Uh-oh, this means no fear cavalier.
Renegade steer clear! A tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies.
Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline.

The other night I dreamt of knives, continental drift divide. Mountains sit in a line
Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Brezhnev. Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom!
You symbiotic, patriotic, slam book neck, right? Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it (It's time I had some time alone) and I feel fine.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
A lot of bad information here.

The US does support South Korea as much as Israel- in fact, much, much more.

North Korea regularly drops anti-ROK pamphlets and such on South Korea, so...yeah.

The DPRK launched Taepongs (I believe) towards Japan, not Hawaii- and not "at" either.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Just tell them to give us an advanced warning so we can pull out our troops. Cause once we pull out our troops S Korea can shut up N Korea once and for all. Many assume S Korea has no nukes but I am sure we have slipped them a few over the years.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
As a matter of fact, South Korea insisted that the US remove it's own nukes from the penninsula in the 90s, so it's probable the ROK doesn't have any.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Ignore them.

North Korea do this every election period in America in order for the incoming government to give incentives to the Communist regime.

Remember, North Korea had the infamous missile tests over Japan on the 4th July a few years back.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
My two bits: Kim Yong-Il is dead or dying. There is no clear successor. The country is in the pits, and the people aren't happy -- that's why many are defecting. Noone has food or electricity while a few hundred miles or less to the south the Korean people are relatively happy. So now the South is increasingly sending aid and encouraging the unhappy people in hopes that one day the North collapses and there is one Korea again. Sound policy? I don't know, because...
The guys in charge in the north are clearly nervous. Sending dissenters to gulags, etc, as the number of dissentors/defectors increases. They might feel like their back is against the wall. Nervous people don't always make great decisions.

While they'd be able to inflict alot of damage the North could not conduct a sustained conflict without the support of China, and I'm not sure China is willing to put it's standing on the line for the North. China also has a vested interest in N Korea's economy. I don't think they're willing to put that on the line either. They want a stable North Korea. And without Chinese fuel, food and arms, an offensive from the North would go nowhere.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by _Del_]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

It's not so much the nukes you need to worry about, it's their artillery that could prove to be a big threat to Seoul.

North Korea fields an artillery force of over 12,000 self-propelled and towed weapon systems. Without moving any artillery pieces, the North could sustain up to 500,000 rounds an hour against Combined Forces Command defenses for several hours. The artillery force includes 500 long-range systems deployed over the past decade. The proximity of these long-range systems to the Demilitarized Zone threatens all of Seoul with devastating attacks.

Source

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
IMO, the USA can not afford to deal with this right now. Let China deal with it, it's in their "back yard".

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ou_sooners_19

I hope you're aware that the U.S. is in no financial position to secure a long term political sphere of influence over a region of the world so far away. The so-called extensional Empire of the U.S. is definitely in a recession. This can be observed in many cases over past year alone, with Russia's invasion of South Ossetia; Russia has since become increasingly unafraid of advancing its political dominion, despite a U.S. proposition to build a missile defense shield on the Russo-Polish border. Russian air squadrons have been invited to patrol Venezuelan skies (good bye Monroe), and North Korea itself has restarted its nuclear program to name but a few of challenges presented to U.S. world supremacy. No, especially with Barack Obama in the Presidential Office, American interventionism will seriously diminish over the next few years... Amid talk of informal discussion under no precondition among nuclear enemies, an increased consideration for peace measures rather than solving those conflicts through military expenditure, and particularly greater economic autonomy in Central America we can see that America is just slowly shuffling off that immortal coil, and in less than a decade greater powers will adorn their own show of force.

But we can be safe to assume that China will take up the moral authority that comes with the emergence of a super power state and prevent anything like this from happening in their own sphere of influence. The safest solution is for America to back off. Only when the U.S. stops supporting South Korea, stops providing that military and economic substructure to the Asian "West" will South Korea not become a target of radicalism from the "East". Same goes for Taiwan. Unfortunately, abandoning those countries would mean an ideological defeat in Asia for the Western world. It's now time for the U.S. to decide whether or not a political presence in Asia is really worth such a threat to the security of the entire globe. However, that might even mean some internecine conflict and bloodshed in Asia itself, possibly some executions for its political leaders, and the total disintegration of Democracy, and finally ending in either military coups or an expansion of China's or North Korea's territories onto Formosa and the southern Korean peninsula.

So now we have quite a conundrum. Basically, the U.S. is obliged to both South Korea and Taiwan for maintaining a foundation for those countries' ideologies and by extension the very existence of their political systems. The U.S. has worked as quite an effective arbiter of this conflict, using military presence. However, when the finances start to slip, and if this recession is as bad as we fear it will become, a depressed U.S. will not be able to support such frivolous and international expenditure all the way across the Pacific.

But it seems to me war is inevitable in some form or another in that region. If it isn't contained, this particular theater could even form the center point for a World War III.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Uh...the US has already had a rather sizable sphere of influence in Northeast Asia for like 50 years now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join