It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Survival the Best?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Whilst there are many good idea's on survival in general I think the safest place to be is under ground and obviously not on a flood plane. All the myths and legends of bygone times talk of people hidden away in caves and under the ground.

So in sit x would it not be better to stay put with all your gear and have somewhere safe like an underground bunker. If you have the space it would be relatively easy to build a large one and you have the added bonus of metres of ground to protect you refuge. Plus you can make it as large as you can afford and really stock up for a year of more. Plus the cooler ground temps provide a better atmosphere for much of your kit especially food and medical supplies.

Larger amounts of fuel can be stored and kept safely and much larger capacities of drinking water can be stored. Plus such a shelter by definition has alot more security than the average house or shelter and it would be relatively easy to manufacture mechanical ventilation air and waste systems etc. any thoughts.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It depends. What are you preparing for? Massive earthquakes due to pole shifts? Then probably not, a cave would likely collapse around you. Nuclear war? Maybe then underground is a good idea, but only until it's safe to come out (considered to be about 2 weeks.)

Zombie invasion? No, underground isn't so good because it doesn't leave you enough escape routes. Martial law? Then yeah, underground is great because it hides you from infrared cameras and satellites (just make sure you have a food supply!)

Are you worried about preparing for the Biblical end of the world? I'd steer clear of underground hideouts - the so-called "prophecies" all predict that the people who hide underground will be crushed.

My suggestion? If you have some way of creating an underground base, then go for it. But don't put all your eggs in one basket - have a more conventional retreat near to it, as well. That retreat should be one that can double as a full-time home, so that you are less likely to be caught too far away for it to matter.

That way, you're ready regardless of what happens.

My question for you... by what means do you expect to acquire an underground base?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
While building an underground shelter is ideal its far from perfect, You have to get the building plans to meet with certain guidelines from surveyors and whatnot.

And this has been covered probably more than once if you use the search function.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Yeah, it's horrifically expensive and complicated to build your own underground lair. Easier to find a nearby place to hide, if that's what you have planned. Only problem with that is that it would probably be on maps, hence depending on the sit x then the authorities would probably search there quite quickly.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I wouldn't imagine an underground shelter would be much harder to build than, say, a basement with an earth-covered roof over it instead of a house.

It wouldn't have the protective abilities of, say, remodeling an abandoned iron mine. But it would be hidden. :-)

Of course, still, you're talking money.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I would say yes.

Unlike many, my fear is "lack of order" due to natural / man-made disaster. Anything that would disrupt transportation and electricity for long periods of time. In that situation, underground stealth is the best policy.

I think a piece of undeveloped land with no "restrictions" would be the best. No building permit needed. Dig some deep holes, cinder block it in and reinforce a roof. Cover the roof with earth.

Phase two, dig another hole. Buy an insulated "refrigerator" cargo container and bury it (note, do not put feet of earth on this as it will collapse. Even with a few inches of earth, you would probably still need to reinforce it. Your choice if you want to add a non-electric refrigerator to it see: www.guardian.co.uk...

Now you have a root cellar / food storage.

Make sure only trusted individuals know of this place and entrances are concealed.

In a time of trouble, you are set for awhile.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I wonder if it is that easy to stay underground and survive for a long period of time.
14 days maybe but a year. Man do you know have long that is. What are you going to do there for 14 days or 12 months in a small bunker !!!! You have to work on holding up underground for that period of time. I dont think we are groomed to do that right of the bat.
Have are you planing to run the items in the bunker for 12 months.

Have and where would you hide your bunker from the public ? Its not that easy to hide a bunker from other people knowing about it or finding it .

Have would you know when its safe to come out ? Are you just going to assume when its safe to come up ?

Have are you going to survive outside the bunker when its safe ?

Where and have would you get your food ? If something big happens there might not be much to hunt. Or might not be safe to hunt and eat whats still alive. Have would you know if the food is safe to eat ?

Farming your own food would takes weeks or months,you might be dead before you can harvest.

I dont know whats best!!! to die fast or suffer for 12 months just to die in the end.

I dont think this type of survival is for every one. You cant just build a bunker and think that its going to save you in the long run.The survival really starts when you leave the bunker. And when you leave the bunker your wont be in the same state as when you entered. And its not so easy to prepared your bunker and your self for what meats you on the out side.

There is a lot of "what ifs" when it comes to survival. And a lot of "what ifs" that you have to work out and prepare for.

Like.. what if your bunker door is traped shut do you have the tools to get out safely?

What if something brakes down!!! would you know have to fix it ?

What if you break down after a while what happens in the bunker then ?

And do you really have a good plan for surviving when you leave the bunker. Stalking up on guns and ammo might not feed you when you ge into the real world.

Building a bunker is the easy part. Living in it is going to be hard. Leaving the bunker is going to be life or death.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Yes everything is money but its a case of how mcuh do you value your survival and that of your loved ones. Building a bunker is not difficult nor are the systems to run it and yes I have the required skills to build such a shelter. Such buildings have always have survived and short of falling into a fault line your fairly safe, if your talking of a bollide impact then its just down to random luck as to who survives.

Its easy to obtain plans for such structures, complete with life support systems means of escape etc. Many pople have turned deep strong cellars into shelters and in events like ww1/2 people survived in these types of structures so its not impossible its just about time and money.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
instead of making it underground, why not make it above ground and pile the earth around it?

wouldn't it make it like 1000's of pounds cheaper? you still have the 2ft + or reinforced steel to stop the gamma rads or what ever, but then you can put as much earth around it as you want. effectively making your own little hill.

Yeah it'd be more obvious but with the right entry / exit systems you wouldn't have anything to worry about. You could even have look out ports to see if things were safe etc.

just knocking the idea around after seeing concrete cloth and complete bomb / fallout shelter yeah i know the 2nd one says underground......

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Im planning for the future to build an earth sheltered home, pretty much like the one at www.survivalproperty.com

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Hello again MM...we must stop meeting like this!

I've often considered "digging down" here at my old French farmhouse. I don't need the space but it would be for a hideout.

I don't really need a bunker, I have 3 old wine vats approximately 2.5 x 2.5 x 6 meters in total and made from the usual semi-indestructable french concrete. Possible to connect them (wiv a big 'ammer).

With all the recent talk of things going belly up big time, I'm going to start stockpiling food and essentials. I have a 17 meter deep well in the middle of my lawn which has a really good and clean water source filtered down through the chalky soil here in the vines so that's one thing I can use.

I am not a paranoid person usually but the more I read lately the more I'm convinced things are going to change big time in the next 12 months or so.

I know most of the reported troubles are over in the US of A but with their hands in everyone elses pockets I for one don't trust ANY government.

MM...get yer arse over here sharpish mate!

Good luck to all "diggers" everywhere and don't forget the periscope....when the b*#t@rds come knocking, make sure the booby traps are set and the locks are secure and when they think it's all over...

VIVE LA REVOLUTION....we have the numbers.

This area in particular will put up one hell of a fight, the local city of Angouleme played a large part in ww2 when it came to the French resistance. It won't be forgotten. The members of the resistance everywhere played a MAJOR part in diverting the Nazis from their planned route across the channel and disrupting the advance of the german forces. Working with allied forces including british intelligence we must all pay homage to their courage and sacrafices.

Strength in numbers and power in passion.

[edit on 10/11/2008 by nerbot]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I have taken this to the next level. Money is the key, determination and knowledge are a close second. We have researched this and found that there are several levels of bunkers that can be built. The level we are building is an "extended family" of like-minded people who would bring the best mix of skills into a facility that would be capable of being off-grid for years. The extended family would be between 36 and 50 people.

I have assembled this into a web site at www.survivalcondo.com. This approach isn't for everyone, but for those with some moderate to high resources, this is way beyond what could be accomplished on your own.

Check it out...

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker

Phase two, dig another hole. Buy an insulated "refrigerator" cargo container and bury it (note, do not put feet of earth on this as it will collapse. Even with a few inches of earth, you would probably still need to reinforce it.

I've heard of a guy that buried a standard shipping container in Oklahoma as a tornado shelter. Seems that would be a much cheaper, faster solution than cement blocks -- if it were safe.

Have you run across engineering data on loading capacity?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This is a great post! I definatly think that a dig out and then install and hide shelter would be the best. Plant a nice briar bush around the entrance and conceal it halfway decent and most wouldn't find you.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

This poster explains in Indonesian how a bamboo shelter can be constructed. PDF instructions here.

Fun DIY project

Additionally you could go this route:

Mini Blast & Fallout Shelter

Full details here

Also here is a booklet with full instructions on DIY:
Domestic Nuclear Shelters

Full details here

[edit on 1-12-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Not to be mean here, but for the sake of strenthening the thread: How were the Viet Kong able to make such a network and allow it to survive even to this day without worrys of collapse? Do they have some special way of enforcing the tunnel systems or did the soil have a high density of roots to help hold it?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
You're supposed to remain in your shelter for 2 weeks.

I don't think anyone could hold on to their sanity after 2 weeks in that little yellow coffin.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If you had the will to survive and the supplys to do so you can live for years. In a small shelter the only thing you need to keep sain is something to occupy your mind like puzzles, crosswords, games, ect... besides if you couldent cope with the situation then you wouldent have a shelter anyway.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Ive studied on this for a long time now, and I believe underground is the best idea. I am very fortunate in one aspect, I am going to be bulding a house anyways in the next few years. I am going to build on high ground, and add a large basement. However, the basement is going to be hidden from common knowledge, and is going to have at least 2 exits. I am going to dedicate one area to enough food supplies for a year, along with supplies and the necessities. Reading through forums like these has given me a good idea of the things I will be needing to have on hand for when tshtf.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

Here is a inreresting site i have found:

www.earthbagbuilding.com...

look at the gallery pics too. You can build it abouve ground if you want, then shovel dirt over it to hide it from overhead from air. Then plant a "sitting" garden or regular garden, that way this will show why the ground was distrubed.
All you need is a dumptruck or truck full of sand. some bags and labor. I think it may be easiest to make your own bags. or, this site has cheap bags, as well as other bulk supplies you might need too!
www.restockit.com...(8X4X18HVY)---ON-SALE-TODAY!.html?source=overture&bvar5=YP1&bvar6=YP1&bvar7=YP1&s_kwcid=TC-1462-23037602022-S-30872 35522&OVRAW=bulk%20food%20bags&OVKEY=bulk%20food%20bag&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=3087235522&OVKWID=23037602022
Also, has anyone rememebred the word, " hydroponics"?? It takes much less water, and you control what you grow, whats in it. It tastes GREAT. I have done that before. Plus you can also do it underground, if you have the correct lights.
Just a thought. ;0)

new topics

top topics

join