It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frequencies, emotions and music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Now take this as you like and try not to judge me on my thoughts...

Music can affect you. Or more precisely sound can affect you... or more precisely it's the minute vibrations in the air around us, twitching tiny little bones in our ear and affecting nerve endings, which in turn respond with various chemicals and hormones....

Still with me?

What is music?

Music can reduce a grown man to tears, it can unite people (festivals), it can inspire hate (east side vs west side rap?), it can inspire love (Marley, Lennon etc), it can change ideas and philosophies, it can alter fashion and style and class, it appeals to all that hear it...

Now we come to individuality... People.

People respond individually to the myriad of sounds available to the human form. People like relaxing jazz, but other folk prefer psychedelic space jazz, whilst other prefer classic , or jazz fusion or even improvised jazz. They all appreciate jazz, but even in those many styles, individual paths are favoured...

The whole magic behind this is frequency and notational properties...

People respond to frequencies, both consciously and subconsciously.

Now... If say, a highly paid group of market researchers discovered that children under the age of say, 15 prefer a style of music, what do they do?
They contact PR folk, they manipulate the media, produce advertisements and bend society to create a 'hijacked' state of sound.

This sound becomes the norm for certain groups of people. So, they've discovered a trend... They exploit this trend by creating a NEED for this type of music and viola... Cash rolls in.

Ok, strange example, but I'm trying to pin my thoughts here....

Let's say it's not just marketing people.... What if say, a certain type of people could hijack a frequency (after studying data to show how people respond to they vast amount of both audible and non audible frequencies in existance and compare results vs emotions)....

Can you see where i'm going with this?

Have people gone beyond the study of music and into the psychology of sound and acoustic energy and more to the study of human reaction to certain frequencies?

Ok, what if say, that certain frequency made people more subconsciously accepting (letting the guard down, shall we say?) and THEN the subject is then bombarded with subverse lyrics?

Could we as a race be eventually controlled by sound?

I know i'm probably off the track a little with my idea and i hope i've kind of explained my thoughts...

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
as an audio nerd, i feel i should give my opinion

there are certain sound frequencies that can induce or manipulate certain brain wave frequencies, some to the point of inducing trance-like states.

in my experience, there are some sounds that do appeal to people more than others. some are more relaxing, some more energetic or driving and they all have unique characteristics that set them apart from other sounds. sometimes when a certain combination of sounds are generated, it creates a more full sound, like a wall in a way and can help to emphasize the message you are trying to convey with the song.

as far as literally controlling a person with certain frequencies of sound, i don't think that would be as possible as simply nudging their brain into one state or another. maybe if someone wanted to induce a trance state on someone then bombard them with subliminal messages but it would still be far easier to control a population through fear and violence than through the audio spectrum

again, that's just my opinion and i could very well be wrong

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Yes people have been aware of this for a long time. Check out this conference in Santa Fe.

www.bizspirit.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Interesting how something like this would show up. It made me remember how last night I seen a story on my local news channel about how music can affect your mood, mainly how your favorite song can be as energizing as a cup of coffee. As to was it a scientific study or independent research, I'm having trouble locating video or a transcript.

This sound becomes the norm for certain groups of people. So, they've discovered a trend... They exploit this trend by creating a NEED for this type of music and viola... Cash rolls in.

Yes, indeed a very strange example, but very interesting. I believe I understand the gist of what you're saying, something like a mental need, or some sort of addicting frequency?

From my own experience I do notice a change in my emotions and even posture at times when I listen to certain types of music.
When I listen to say softer slower songs, I relax, become less tense and just day dream.
When I listen to say rap or something along the lines of rap with loud beats I tend to tense up and it feels as though I'm surging with energy and could run a marathon.

[edit on 18-10-2008 by Forest]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of two things, the brown note
and brainwave generators that create binaural beats and tones. Oh and also, if I remember correctly, the military actually has a weapon that can disable you that uses sound. www.andybrain.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Dude check this out.

www.npr.org...

Our military paved the road for this weapon. A company out of California makes them. During Urban Warfare practices across the country, they are used in simulation of civil disturbances.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
You may have heard about this.
Sound in certain frequencies creates art.

I think music is very manipulative.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I remember a video I saw while back that said sounds arrange in different pitch, dynamics, tone etc can cause different emotions to different people.

Anybody know about this video?

Interesting thread

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
i think sound is almost the most important thing to consider when thinking of ways to manipulate people and the universe around you. say what you want to, but i know that when i hear "certain songs" in my favorite playlist the emotional response inside triggered can be from one side of the spectrum to the other, but always grand scale, no in-betweens with music. i que it up and VROOOOM... there i go to wherever the artist is meaning to take me, it's amazing. in high school i noticed (and participated) in a mass demonstration against preconceived ideas when "Antichrist Superstar" by marilyn manson came out, my god, everyone in the school had a copy, cheerleaders and others even, everyone wanted a piece of that subculture, it was crazy...and I LOVED IT. music is awesome, soiund and vibrations are unbelieveably powerful.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Valley:Cool responses so far...

I'm a student studying music technology, I also work with live sound and also employ some studio work if and when i have time.

But primarily i am very interested in the science and spirit of sound in all forms.

Barathrum: Have you ever listened to psychedelic trance (Psy), they REALLY play with frequencies and pitch and tone and tempo and notation... Some of the stuff is outstanding...

Also, when I meant 'controlling', I meant more say, controlling their moods as opposed to full control. I.e operating a signal frequency that could say, pacify or tense someone up?

--

Valley: Thanks for the link. I've 'seen' sound therapy at work at various festivals and gatherings, never experienced it myself... But studying Cymatics gives me some doubts about instantly dismissing it as new age clap trap. Instead, i'm fascinated and intrigued that humans can heal with frequencies and vibrations....

Forest: Exactly my point... I'd really appreciate it if you (or anyone else could find a transcript.
You describe the changes in your state when listening to certain types of music quite right.

Psychedeliack Binaural beats. They're the two off-beat frequencies that resonate inside your head to create the illusion of a 'third' frequency, which in turn affects your brain pulses (i.e certain frequencies can change you to dream states or meditation states, Alpha / Beta etc?) Right?

I experienced one type on my mp3 player (a suggestion from a friend), and it really put me into a trance... Totally timeless as i was lay on the couch for about twenty minutes... and when the frequencies fade, you kind of wake up thinking 'wow, where have i been?'

Zerrelion

My point again... this is how the system could manipulate us into our pens.... Having 'scream' zones and 'nausea' zones... A very terrifying thought!

Clearskies

Cymatics right? Fascinating subject... Also if you look very closely, do you not see the patterns resemble the patterns that were discovered by Japanese scientist and researcher Masuro Emoto explored the idea that sound and thought could affect the molecules of water!

www.soulsofdistortion.nl... (Very interesting link)

english.pravda.ru...

Also the Cymatic patterns strangely resemble many crop circles. Not making any connections here (that's maybe for a different thread) but maybe these patterns are the resonances of the universe.... Remember the odd hexagon on Saturn?

Thepowerofone

Cheers.

If you can send me links, i really want to explore this subject...

Any thoughts on these connections?

One love

Mr-L

[edit on 18-10-2008 by mr-lizard]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I am interested in your thoughts about crop circles and the possible connection to sounds or cymatics.

I attended the Ist sound healing conference in Santa Fe back in 2006. I was disappointed by some of the material but I think my expectations were too high. There were some very interesting aspects and people at this conference.

As far back as I can remember I have always loved and used music to change my mood or energize. Singing while I am driving is a good way to clear my head and energy field.

As far as the military finding sinister ways to use sound... well so what's new.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Barathrum: Have you ever listened to psychedelic trance (Psy), they REALLY play with frequencies and pitch and tone and tempo and notation... Some of the stuff is outstanding...

Also, when I meant 'controlling', I meant more say, controlling their moods as opposed to full control. I.e operating a signal frequency that could say, pacify or tense someone up?

absolutely! i like psy and goa...well not exclusively but i tend to lean toward electronic music as my preferred music. i just love the idea of taking the synthetic and making it "real", if that makes sense. i don't produce psy but i do use some of the basses and synth sounds in when i produce. i create stuff that's sort of a combination of different styles, etc so i know exactly what you're saying when you're talking about creating certain sounds to illicit a particular response, etc.

like those big fuzzy bass sounds that make your spine wiggle...lol those are nice

but on the down side, there are certain frequencies outside of music that are very unpleasant...like the ones that seem to pierce right into your head and fill it with ouch lol

those are the ones that can be weaponized but the negative response is mostly due to the pain it causes in your ears...i think there are some that could make you physically ill as well.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Frequency and Music is discussed in thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

432 Hertz is a Balanced feeling.
440 Herts gives an Enslavement feeling.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

What if we are driving down the road in LA and we are listening to so
Cool music on the radio. and

as you said we drop our guard then the Powers to be use the radio to bring in a Frequency (through Haarp) to change are our emotions to
road rage.

What if,

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

flagged
I've just found this thread. Very cool

I believe the same.

BTW- lyrics are very important... they all have an definite intention-, some are very valuable and want people to read between the LINES- help them become aware...others are just part of the brainwashing technique...

[edit on 4/12/08 by plutoxgirl]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
A tempo of 60bpm is said to induce an alpha brainwave which is characterised by a long smooth wave pattern, increased receptivity and associative thought, and decreased metaprocessing and analytical thought.

From Wikipedia "Alpha Wave" entry:

"[Alpha waves] are thought to represent the activity of the visual cortex in an idle state."

Translation, a blank hypnotic-like stare.

It is said that the Nazi goose step was routinely performed at or around 60bpm. I have not investigated this myself, though it would explain a lot about those big Nuremberg rallies.

"I can explain everything better though music. You hypnotize people to where they go right back to their natural state, and when you get people at their weakest point, you can preach into their subconscious what we want to say." - Jimi Hendrix, Life Magazine, 1969.

Music is a powerful thing. Like any form of power or energy, it can either be used to create or destroy, unite or divide, enlighten or endarken.

join