It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 465
<< 462  463  464    466  467  468 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Looks like someone made a huge gold dump now doesn't it.

Either that or our better than expected numbers required them to give it a little pump and dump?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

maybe you are waiting (hoping?) for the time when you can barter goods rather than buy or sell them, but until then, capital determines the supply and demand for those tangible goods. Let me ask you...if I were to give you 10 million dollars for all your tangible goods, would you sell them to me?...

Waiting? I'm doing it right now...I'm almost completely removed from fiat currencies...call me crazy, but it is a very liberating lifestyle choice...

I'm actively living my words, no platitudes here....I have set myself and my family up in a manner that is almost completely independent from the general economy....and there are MANY like us out here...

So to answer your question, would I sell out my independence for $10 Mil in Fiat?.....not a chance......If you've ever had a lot of "money", you quickly realize that enough is never enough, and the "things" you own end up owning you...

That's why I get sucha kick watching people scramble for a $buck...it's great entertainment...

[edit on 10-8-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter

So to answer your question, would I sell out my independence for $10 Mil in Fiat?.....not a chance......

See, that makes no sense. You wouldn't sell your objects you own that probably amount to no more than 100K, for 10,000K so you can then buy 100x more than what you have. Something tells me your ideals would fly out the window if someone would give you 10 million in fiat currency. And why? Because it is still worth something to you.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Holy B-Jesus...

I'm listening to Scary Krudlow on CNBS talking to Priceline's CEO...talking up the Hotel trade...

Sure there's a rise in occupied rates...THINK!!!

If ya done lost yer House and Job...where else ya going to go before Tent City!!!

If it wasn't for that they'd be BK!!!

Also...I just added to Comcrap's roll-offs

For the 2nd time this year they raised my rate...7.5% the first time...I called and ranted...they cut it for one month...then it went up 9%+ this month...

Told 'em screw ya...cut me to HSI...I'll do without watching Bloomberg / CNBS and get me a Magic Jack fer da phone...and bought a cable modem at Goodwill fer $2
save me $70+ a month...felt sorry ranting to da (Hottie sounding) op but WTH?!?

I really need to get some barbie dolls and make them up to look like CNBS anchors and do a end of financial news broadcasting video
(use yer imagination here!)

[edit on 8/10/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
See, that makes no sense.

I understand what you're grappling with, and to explain fully is outside of the context of this thread...

It would be much easier on the brainpan to write my ideas off as those of a raving mad lunatic, and I wouldn't blame you..

I've simply made a choice to unplug from a system that I see as inherently corrupt and controlling.....it's not for everybody

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Holy B-Jesus...

I'm listening to Scary Krudlow on CNBS talking to Priceline's CEO...talking up the Hotel trade...

Sure there's a rise in occupied rates...THINK!!!

Indeed, good catch...

I live in a resort community and see the same thing you allude to first hand....folks rolling in with their Escalades loaded down like the Joads from "Grapes of Wrath"and homesteading on the beach or in the cheapest hotels...heck, even the expensive resorts are seeing long term traffic....

At any rate it's much easier to take that dream vacation when you stop paying your mortgage payment....

I really need to get some barbie dolls and make them up to look like CNBS anchors and do a end of financial news broadcasting video
(use yer imagination here!)

A fabulous idea, please make that happen!!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The propaganda machine is in full gear again from the government.

Reality is a different thing depending your perspective.

Call It a Depression Despite Wall Street Celebration

Love the tittle,

2008 bonus payments were substantially greater than the banks' net income."

Make no mistake about this ~ Government tax revenue is now the worst since the great Depression, the federal deficit has ballooned to a record $1.8 trillion, unemployment continues to skyrocket and we are obviously in a major Depression. The sooner Obama stops wishful thinking and faces this reality ~ the better.

William Gayle, co-coordinator of the Tax Policy Center, sums up Obama's dilemma ~ " If the economy doesn't recover soon, it doesn't matter matter what your social, economic and political agenda is ~ There's not going to be any revenue to pay for it ! "

ç when an estimated 25 million homeowners, or 48% of those with mortgages, will owe more on the loan than the house is worth by the first quarter of 2011, according to an analysis by Deutsche Bank released this week.

The dangers of shrinking taxable income to a indebted economy

Got to love what some people writes about.

The depression is just beginning

The government is right the Recession is ending, now the Depression is starting.

Columnist Mike Whitney also says let's Skip The Happy Talk ~ This Depression is just beginning " What does all this mean? It means the consumer is down-for-the-count. His credit lines have been cut, his home equity eviscerated, and his checking account swimming in red ink. That spells trouble for an economy that's 70% dependent on consumer spending for growth....which brings us to another interesting point.

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Some more "Green Shots" :shk:

Treasurer Fear of Credit Freeze Seen in Cash Hoarding (Update1)
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Two years after credit markets seized up and caused the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, companies are hoarding the most cash in at least a decade.

“Every action we take or contemplate taking is measured by its impact on our balance sheet and liquidity,” Mark Jacobs, the chief executive officer of Houston-based RRI Energy Inc., told analysts and investors on Aug. 3. The company sold its Texas retail electricity business and the Reliant brand name in May, helping triple cash and equivalents from a year earlier to 18 percent of assets, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Even as government reports show that the first global recession since World War II may be easing, corporate treasurers are raising cash as fast as they can, wary of losing access to capital. Corporate defaults reached 10.7 percent worldwide in July, the highest since 1991, according to Moody’s Investors Service. Credit markets that started to freeze in August 2007, have now triggered more than $1.5 trillion in writedowns and losses at the world’s biggest financial institutions.

Cash and short-term investments accounted for about $1.98 trillion, or 8.2 percent, of assets at the end of the second quarter for companies in the Standard & Poor’s 500 index, up from about $1.6 trillion, or 6.4 percent, a year earlier, Bloomberg data show. Cash reached a record $2 trillion in the first quarter, 8.3 percent of assets.
More at Links...

Consumer Bankruptcies May Hit 1.4 Million for 2009, Study Says
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Consumer bankruptcies show no sign of abating after rising more than a third this year and may hit 1.4 million by Dec. 31 as jobs are lost and loans are harder to get, according to the trade group American Bankruptcy Institute.

More than 126,000 consumers filed for bankruptcy in the U.S. last month, 34 percent more than in July 2008, the ABI said in its latest report on Aug. 4. The increase came after a 36.5 percent rise in personal bankruptcies nationwide in the first six months, to 675,351, according to the ABI research group, which interprets data collected by the National Bankruptcy Research Center.

“Rising unemployment on top of high pre-exiting debt burdens is a formula for higher bankruptcies through the end of this year,” ABI Executive Director Samuel Gerdano said in a statement. The group, composed of lawyers, accountants, bankers and judges, is based in Alexandria, Virginia.

Steeply rising filings by consumers are hurting commercial banks. JPMorgan Chase & Co., the second-largest U.S. bank, predicted more losses on consumer loans last month even as it announced a rise in second-quarter profit on record investment banking fees. Chief Executive Officer Jamie Dimon said he doesn’t expect the credit card business to make a profit this year or in 2010, and the company increased its loss projections for prime and subprime mortgages.

Taxpayers Lose as Flippers Profit in Muni Bonds: Chart of Day
www.bloomberg.com...

U.S. Stocks Fall on Valuations; Boeing, Best Buy, Newmont Drop
www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hmmm...A Tale of two Tails...

~3x-4x more offered than bought...Hmmm...

Fed buys $6.6 billion in Treasurys
www.marketwatch.com...

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The Federal Reserve Bank of New York bought $6.594 billion in Treasurys on Monday, the first of two operations this week. Dealers submitted $22.002 billion in debt maturing between 2012 and 2013 to the Fed. The U.S. central bank is more than two-thirds of the way through the $300 billion in U.S. debt it promised in March to buy in an effort to keep borrowing costs, particularly for companies and homebuyers, affordable. When the Fed last bought from this maturity range, it purchased $6.5 billion.

A strange thought...Gold moving down before dollar gains...someone know something?

INDEX: DXY
www.marketwatch.com...

Gold

Ewwww State St taking a big hit now...dragging the markets with it... :shk: -4%
www.marketwatch.com...

State Street's legal reserve may not be enough

www.marketwatch.com...

Guess we have to watch 4 Big Failing Banks now... :shk:

Oh...it's been an hour since they read the papers so it's getting better now

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Geez...now CNBS is putting Lip-Stick on a Pig with all the over-draft fees the Banks are gouging now...
...I'm about really glad I'm done with MSM cable news...

Bribed Regulators: Another Example
market-ticker.org...

Awww shucks..it's ok...I talk to myself now ALMOST as much as GBM

(Now I know how ya feel Dude!
Just no endless quotes in quotes...)

Hmmm...

Dow Jones Industrial Average 9,292.38 2:18pm ET Down 77.69 (0.83%)
S&P 500 INDEX,RTH 1,001.04 2:18pm ET Down 9.44 (0.93%)

We're coming up on that Magic 3pm Stander was mentioning earlier...

Oh Stander???

Now that's almost some volume...on the down strokes...

1010 is the Magic number it seems...Hmmm...Dbl Top even right there...
...not that I believe in all that Carp...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander
Over at NIKKEI the winners outnumber the losers 4 to 1. Bloomberg says that it's due to the positive news about the US joblesness easing and Friday market gains in the USA as well. But on Friday, around noon, the Dow showed a sign of a downward movement. Not big, but noticable. If things go south tomorrow around 3pm, something is in the making . . .

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77cb1a3ff080.jpg[/atsimg]

Nothing's in the making.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Hmmm...why 4 all the major moves on declining volume then...

Sum Body Spooked?

Me thinks something smells in Denmark... :shk:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

reply to post by stander

Hmmm...why 4 all the major moves on declining volume then...

Me thinks something smells in Denmark... :shk:

Why? That's the way sushi(t) made in Denmark is being served here
farm2.static.flickr.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

It's all good...

I forgot...when you put all the money in the banks...to run up company stocks...it always works...
...they hoard cash to weather any down turn and we're all on the way to Nirvana...hopefully not to meet Kurt...

The Great Panic of 08 has turned into the Great Depression of 09...Just they forgot to tell us...

Just ask GWB...things were great...till they weren't...

(No Political Carp meant...just a observation)

And State Street recovers almost all it's losses in a couple of hours... :shk:

PPT in action as usual...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Unbelievable, so the "good news" of people running our of unemployment and been left out of the statistics is good news.

Got to love the spinning machine.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by stander

Unbelievable, so the "good news" of people running our of unemployment and been left out of the statistics is good news.

Got to love the spinning machine.

There are supposed to be two unemployment figures: one shows how many people are unemployed while receiving benefits and the other shows how many people are still unemployed but are no longer eligible. You can easily monitor the first group, coz you send them money, but the second group is hard to trace. You can make a good estimate, though; you can tell who maxed out the unemployment benefits.

But the official stat is based on how many people receive unemployment.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

reply to post by stander

It's all good...

...they hoard cash to weather any down turn and we're all on the way to Nirvana...hopefully not to meet Kurt...

You read too much Bloomberg . . .

But if you keep reading, people do the same thing. We are mammals and some animals survive the winter in their dens full of hoarded stuff for the occasion.

Companies issue bonds to hoard cash and that creates demand for money, among other things. But since US Treasuries are deemed as good as cash, the companies buy them to redeem them later to pay the bondholders -- with no one actually working in a factory.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Great...

A+Z=Y

Up is down...

WTH?

How can anyone even navigate this Market-Speak anymore..

SEC/FDIA/FMOC/FED/TALF/PPIP/CRAP/Ect...

Glad you set me straight...

I'm selling anything I have of value for food/survival items...

THIS WILL NOT END UP GOOD...

I say we start our own market...

The AXE-EX...

We trade on CNBS anchors chances of being (terminated) by various methods....

Dennis Kneale will have a whole index unto his self....

And I thought NO-ONE could be more abrasive than Scary Crudlow !!!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

The U.S. central bank is more than two-thirds of the way through the $300 billion in U.S. debt it promised in March to buy in an effort to keep borrowing costs, particularly for companies and homebuyers, affordable.

More than 83 percent used up according to this article.

www.reuters.com...

I wonder if they are going to start rationing their powder now that they are coming to the end of the quantitative easing? It would be dangerous to stop cold turkey but if the economy is that addicted to cash pumping they might just announce another QE2 to toast some more debt. We are apparently dealing with Keynesians after all.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

The answer to that question may very well determine Bernankes future job prospects. Either way, they will keep printing, the only other choice is Default. The dangerous part of this game isn't the controlled destruction they're undertaking, it's the effect that a loss of confidence and repatriation of 'reserve dollars' held around the world would have. There are already more than enough dollars around the world to hyperinflate us. That is the downside to having had the 'reserve currency' status, if confidence is ever lost, you've got one hell of a lot of your currency coming back to you.

top topics

<< 462  463  464    466  467  468 >>

join