It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 394
<< 391  392  393    395  396  397 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Quants will be quants.....it's a tough gig....mathematicians and physicists selling their soul to the devil, a Faustian bargain for nothing but money...and when they fail, which they all will given time, (just look at all the quant hedgies that took a monkey-hammering over the last 8 months)..they are blamed for everything...all the while the traders take the money to the bank either way..

There is, nor will there ever be, a Grand Unified Theory for the markets...because it involves...wait for it...human behavior...

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, and GBM, I do enjoy your youthful tenacity...but take that God given talent of yours and use it to help people (and you know exactly what I mean here)...you'll be much happier (and wealthier, if that is your aim) in the long run...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Banks are still in business but they are gouging the consumer while receiving money from the government thanks to tax payer.

Banks Raise Fees to Try to Offset Losses

Even when we are have a recession and laws has been passed to protect the consumer banks are still raising fees like the corrupted entities they are.

And this are not just the small banks actually small banks are doing everything to protect their consumers this are the big greedy institutions that created the economy mess

The nation’s biggest banks — those that received the biggest bailouts from taxpayers, and are once again gaining strength — charge fees that are on average at least 20 percent higher than those at smaller lenders, according to Moebs Services, a economic research firm used by banks and federal regulators.

Some of the charges are getting more creative. Several big banks — including JPMorgan Chase [JPM 33.29 -0.48 (-1.42%) ], US Bancorp [USB 17.36 -0.22 (-1.25%) ] and Wells Fargo [WFC 23.72 -0.42 (-1.74%) ] — recently began billing some small-business customers for federal deposit insurance increases. Citigroup [C 2.9301 -0.0399 (-1.34%) ] and PNC Financial [PNC 37.475 -0.835 (-2.18%) ] assess around a 3 percent international transaction fee when customers swipe their debit cards overseas.

Bank of America [BAC 12.90 -0.15 (-1.15%)

www.cnbc.com...

Greedy bastards.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Just so you know, they gonna try to pass cap and trade on July 6.

JULY 6, 2 days after JULY 4 holiday. How many will still be drunk?

The bankers will kill america while it's too busy being drunk. Disgusting.

About the home inspections in the bill... and if you do not comply.. you'll have fines...

Here< br />

The bill states every home owner will receive an energy audit. What is a home energy audit? It is an intrusive visit made by the bureaucrats at the Home Energy Team or a similar group. They will examine and report the way you live your life directly to RESNET (Residential Energy Services Network) .[...] Early reports of denying audits carry a misdemeanor charge and a $2000 fine for each count. The more you deny, the more you pay.

And you may have tax rebates in return... but MAXIMUM 30% and MAXIMUM 1500$...

IMO this kind of BS will lead to violence... while Al Gore and Obama are making BILLIONS in carbon credit exchanges... DISGUSTING.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Home inspection? what happen to property rights and privacy doesn't this violate the constitutional rights of people?

Still what do we need the Gestapo to come to our homes and invade them without our permission.

Oh, I forgot we have not rights, so then again who are the inspector to inspect millions of homes in the nation?

I remember stupid me, that is where Obama volunteer service to the community will come in place.

And to think that I gave my vote to this moron that now seats in the white house, SHAME ON ME

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

And to think that I gave my vote to this moron that now seats in the white house, SHAME ON ME

What did you expect? I voted for nobody. I knew they would all disappoint and I knew that voting for a third party candidate would mean nothing.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Home inspection? what happen to property rights and privacy doesn't this violate the constitutional rights of people?

Still what do we need the Gestapo to come to our homes and invade them without our permission.

Oh, I forgot we have not rights, so then again who are the inspector to inspect millions of homes in the nation?

I remember stupid me, that is where Obama volunteer service to the community will come in place.

Already happening in Britain where they run regular commercials offering people a reward to snitch on their neighbours, friends, enemies, whoever they want to.

Governments don't need to employ and pay a salary they just offer a reward to fellow citizens and make it sound as if those citizens are doing an honourable thing.

Also, we've just been to our bank (in southern Spain) to ask about possibly changing our mortgage for a better deal. The manager of our local branch said we can have any mortgage we like because 8 out of 10 of their customers just aren't paying anything each month.

As for the markets - all the European ones are down between 2% and 4% at the moment. Still at least there's plenty of 'green shoots' to keep everyone smiling

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

What a bright future to look for for our children and grandchildren, still is so much that a government can do to oppress their citizens until the will snap out of their slumber.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

The Snake Oil is wearing off faster than they anticipated, and now they are floating the idea for more of it...

It's about time to start drinking some milkshakes...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I'm going to tell you right now, they can write tickets and fine me all they want, but it ain't happening. I'll put a No Trespassing sign up in my front yard and when they come I'll tell them to leave and call the cops.

This is a direct violation of the constitution and my privacy.

And I guess a lot of people are running out of unemployment for losing 400 thousand plus jobs and the unemployment rate only jumps .1%? Yea, this admin is lying through its teeth.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Totally agree with you on the home inspections. IMO it will lead to violence. Because the government, when it comes to collecting money, is never shy to send the SWAT teams... IRS style. And with 2000$ minimum fines for every offence... it's a lot of money.

And about unemployment, it is possible it just went up 0.1% according to government numbers... after all the jobs lost are in the PRIVATE sector... the government is hiring millions of people... the government will soon be the only employer in the country.

But I agree that the real unemployment numbers are much higher... more like around 18-20%...

And the stock market loves war... North Korea is heating up and Kissinger threatenned war with Iran if the coup failed... we'll see.

America could be on the path to civil war monday if cap and trade passes the senate. Monday could be the beginning of the end.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well some good news came from this sell off. I shorted 1000 lots of the Euro and bought the dollar 2 days ago and was down 8000 dollars (out of the 10,000 I placed!) as of last night and decided to keep it in for the jobs numbers and I am now up 1500 dollars...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I agree, illegally searching peoples home to make sure they are energy efficient is going to rub people the wrong way. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the inspectors start getting shot. Of course we won't hear anything about it, but yea this Cap and Trade bill will be the first shot of a Civil War.

This isn't good at all.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

noticed the small gain as well..

Looking through the past few months loosing 500k+ jobs a month left a .3-4% change..

I find it unlikely that after several Million are out of the market, a nearly 500k job loss moves the unemployment .1%? (The more people unemployed, the larger the effect of each additional unemployed)

Unless it's a sign people are rolling off U3 into U6 faster than new people are being added to U3?

If so, at this rate, we could see hundreds of thousands loose their jobs and unemployment go down?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

And from a Christina Romer, we have dumb comment of the day:

“What we’ve been seeing over the last several months is moderating job losses, and that’s what you get first before you see new jobs created.”

Before you gain jobs, you have to loose them.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Me too, take for example last month, "only" 345,000 lost their jobs initially according the government, and the unemployment percentage jumped .5%, then they came out and revised the numbers.

It seems this month they are trying a different tactic of reporting the numbers and then will revise the unemployment percentage, maybe. I don't know.

At this point there is so much fuzzy math going on I don't know how they are getting the numbers.

As for the people rolling over to U6 faster than people are getting on U3 that is a possibility, it just proves that they are "prettying up" the numbers. And if the last part happens, people will start raging after a month or two.

You can paint a picture, but you can't change peoples real life perception of what is going on around them.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Looks like the Feds are finally getting serious about auctioning off some of this debt!

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

And who is going to buy it? China, Japan and the UK?, or they just turn their back and let the great America fall.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

That is dumb, but then again we got only morons for officials now a day, the rhetoric is that the economy is doing great but jobs loses will keep climbing and eventually they will bottom out and job creation will start.

But in a nation that has lost their job making industries that use to support the working class and middle class I find very questionable any job grow, unless is in the service sector and occurs Wal-mart.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate
Looks like the Feds are finally getting serious about auctioning off some of this debt!

And who is going to buy it? China, Japan and the UK?..

Maybe that's what they've been negotiating with the Nordics from Zeta Reticuli. Look for a shuttle launch with Hilary or Bernanke on a "scientific" mission...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Maybe that's what they've been negotiating with the Nordics from Zeta Reticuli. Look for a shuttle launch with Hilary or Bernanke on a "scientific" mission...

That was a well needed laugh, hopefully they will keep them when they arrive.

They would probably wills stop them before they enter the atmosphere.

new topics

top topics

<< 391  392  393    395  396  397 >>

join