It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 155
<< 152  153  154    156  157  158 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander
Dear Pause,

You are an expert on computer trading, so I hope you can help. You know that I'm not a greedy guy, but the morning was really slow, so I pushed CTRL + ALT + PAUSE and things started to move

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11c46fb5324e.jpg[/atsimg]

but in a wrong direction. Do you know what keys to press to put it back?

Thanks,

Stander
To: Mr Stander,

CC: Et Al ; All

I believe that Your Keyboard Function Combinational Equation is Reversed, you are advised to use the following, in the case of downward momentium...

Alt + Ctrl + Pause/Break
(Edit: Note the Alternate + Control Function before the Pause/Break...Your original Keyboard Function Combinational Equation is Reversed)

Then...

Alt + Ctrl + ^

If this fails...

Alt + Ctrl + Esc

Before Del occurs...

Here's hoping that this information will be of help in the future.

Regards,

Hx3_1963

DIO BTS Bank Corp
1 Rich Scottish Castle Dr
Total , Corruption USA
www.belowtopsecret.com...

Edit: To clarify proper sequence of Keyboard Function Combinational Equations

[edit on 3/21/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Off to the zoo for the day,need a bit of childlike-fun for a while...real "animals" are between the pages of all the negative-stuff swirling around us!

Looks like Mon will INDEED be the start of another volitile week:

Bank "fix 'er ups" coming our way! :

www.nytimes.com...

www.bloomberg.com...

"The plan is likely to offer generous subsidies, in the form of low-interest loans, to coax investors to form partnerships with the government to buy toxic assets from banks.

To help protect taxpayers, who would pay for the bulk of the purchases, the plan calls for auctioning assets to the highest bidders."

Translation please: this sounds really awkward to me.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Now stop me here if I'm off, but, this almost sounds logical/rational...

Commentary: Boards are real culprits in AIG mess
www.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- The stories about the outrageous $160 million bonus payments at AIG have all omitted the most important names.

They are the members of AIG's Board of Directors Compensation Committee.

These people should have been on the hot seat before the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance, and Government Sponsored Enterprises, alongside CEO Ed Liddy. Although there is a lot of blame to go around, ultimately the buck stops -- or, I should say, the bucks should have stopped -- with them.

Why haven't we learned that it is the boards who are responsible for the massive failures of strategy and risk management at these companies? Regulators, journalists, securities analysts and investors routinely ignore the most obvious indicators of investment risk that are presented by bad boards of directors.

This is particularly obvious in the case of AIG, which has been a serial offender in corporate governance, especially in executive compensation.

Those of us who remember former CEO Hank Greenberg's departure from AIG in 2005, after a corporate governance meltdown that included excessive compensation, appreciate the irony of his comment to ABC News that the retention bonuses were "mind-boggling." Mr. Kettle, Pot is on line 1.

Compensation committees are not responsible for individual pay packages below the CEO, but they are responsible for determining their overall structure -- and for making sure that the CEO's job includes effective management on compensation issues.

Retention of employees may be a legitimate goal of a compensation program, but it can be accomplished in a way that is both effective and credible by being tied to performance goals and by delaying vesting until after the bailout funds are returned to taxpayers.

The Corporate Library released a report in February about the boards of the bailout companies, many of which were outliers in their governance and compensation practices. Some of these were clear indicators of investment and liability risk. In several cases, we found individuals who not only sat on more than four corporate boards but also sat on more than one of these particularly troubled boards during this period.

Former White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles, for example, served on the boards of Morgan Stanley, General Motors and Wachovia -- and at various times was also a director at Merck, VF Corp., Krispy Kreme and Cousins Properties.

Several other directors from these troubled boards also sat on either five or six boards altogether. We call the phenomenon of directors who serve on four or more corporate boards "overboarding."

Overboarding can limit the time and attention a director has for each board. It can also be an indicator of -- or a contributor to -- so many relationships and connections that it makes it more difficult to provide the respectful skepticism necessary for independent oversight.

In all, 11 of the 27 companies we identified as "troubled" had at least one overboarded director. Six had more than one; at Merrill Lynch, there were five. By comparison, fewer than 30 percent of S&P 500 companies have even a single overboarded director, and fewer than 5 percent have more than one.

Another key finding from our analysis: Shareholders at these companies were well aware of the relative weakness of these boards and had expressed their dissatisfaction by withholding votes from many of these individuals the year before these companies collapsed.

At least 13 individual directors, all of whom sat on at least three corporate boards during this period, had received a 13 percent or higher negative vote.

The highest of these was a 38.58 percent negative vote received by Sir Winfried F.W. Bischoff at McGraw-Hill, where he sat on the compensation committee. Bischoff also served on the boards at Citigroup (as chairman and interim CEO), Eli Lilly and Prudential.

Although the businesses of these companies do not overlap enough to impair Bischoff's designation as an "independent" director or to create legal conflict of interest concerns, it is relevant that McGraw-Hill owns ratings agency Standard & Poor's, which not only rates the other companies for which he was a director but also issues ratings on which the other companies rely in their assessment of risk.

Because of the extensive involvement that financial services companies have in many different aspects of the business of large public corporations, directors of those companies in particular should be especially cautious about overlaps and conflicts.

Badly designed compensation is an indicator of poor corporate governance, and poor corporate governance is an indicator of investment risk. Instead of trying to tax the bonuses at AIG, the government and the shareholders should insist on new directors.

The company's Web site says the compensation committee has five members. The two longest serving ones are James F. Orr III, who joined the committee on May 17, 2006 and Virginia M. Rometty, who joined it on January 17, 2007, according to the company's 2007 proxy statement.

The committee's charter says its responsibility include making recommendations to the full board regarding AIG's compensation programs and reviewing and approving any hiring, severance or termination payments.

People say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result. In this case, insanity is allowing the same people to continue to serve on the board after massive failure and expecting them to produce a different result.
A lot of valid points in this article, but, shouldn't this logically occur to be the correct avenue for congressional "Witch Hunt" Committees' to explore...?

It appears once again that TPTB are asleep at the wheel and have no idea, as to, getting to the root of the problem and getting the right info to deal with this...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Not quite sure if this fits into this thread but here goes...

Just spotted this piece about a hedge fund collapse:

link

LONDON -- U.K. hedge fund manager Weavering Capital put its $639 million Weavering Macro Fixed Income fund into administration late Thursday after the discovery that the fund's main assets was a $637 million derivatives trade with an offshore company controlled by the fund's founder and chief executive, according to a report in the Financial Times

I am definitely not an expert in this area but this sure looks shady to me.

Is this another case of mismanagement? deception? corruption?

What is your take on this news?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Star 4 U!

This is a good a place as any to post info like this...

I saw this yesterday, but, many others may not have...
(To busy/lazy/forgot to post it...thanks!)

...And in other related news...

CT AG says AIG documents show $218M, not $165M, paid in bonuses.
www.foxnews.com...
www.reuters.com...

Federal Reserve's Wider Regulatory Role in Doubt as Frank Retreats on Plan
www.bloomberg.com...

Red ink rises in U.S.; EU eyes bigger IMF war chest
www.reuters.com...
EU seeks doubling of IMF funds: final draft
www.reuters.com...
Sportsman's Warehouse files for bankruptcy
www.reuters.com...
Famed Greenbrier Resort Files for Bankruptcy
www.foxnews.com...
Now we know where to book a room when TSHTF/Sit-X occurs!!!

The state-sponsored shadow banking system
blogs.reuters.com...

UPDATE 2-Mexico says Citi unit to help in crisis
www.reuters.com...

ACAPULCO, Mexico, March 20 (Reuters) - Finance Minister Agustin Carstens said on Friday that Citigroup's Banamex unit is key to getting Mexico through the global financial crisis and sees only a brief U.S. government involvement at the bank.

Putting an end to speculation Citigroup (C.N) might be forced to sell its prized Banamex asset, the finance ministry said on Thursday that a law banning foreign governments from owning stakes in Mexican banks could be overlooked in exceptional times like the financial crisis.

"I spoke to the U.S. treasury secretary (Timothy Geithner) and he told me very clearly he has no intention of becoming a banker again. On the contrary, he wants to clean up those institutions and get rid of them," Carstens told reporters during a bank convention in Acapulco.

Mexico's government says it will ask Congress to change banking laws to set out exceptions to limits on foreign government ownership of local banks.

After an economic crisis in the 1990s, Citigroup, Spain's BBVA (BBVA.MC) and other big foreign players bought up most of Mexico's main banks.

Citi bought Banamex in 2001 for $12.5 billion, which was the biggest-ever acquisition at the time in Mexico.

"We have to recognize that foreign banks brought capital and resources to our financial system when it was devastated, and now they're part of the solution to our problem," Carstens said.

Bankers at the Acapulco conference welcomed the government's decision.

"As foreign investors, we want a peaceful country where the rules are kept to," said a senior bank executive who declined to be named.

Some opposition lawmakers had lobbied President Felipe Calderon to return Banamex to Mexican hands, saying foreigners were now too dominant in the banking system.

Mexico govt says US stake in Citi good for Banamex
www.reuters.com...
More at Links...

Hmmm...getting more disturbing all the time...

Goldman says did nothing wrong taking AIG payments
www.reuters.com...

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Goldman Sachs Group Inc did nothing wrong when it accepted payments to close out trades with American International Group, the giant insurer rescued by the U.S. government, Goldman's chief financial officer said on Friday.

CFO David Viniar, in a conference call, answered questions about Goldman's trading relationship with AIG, which was given $180 billion of taxpayer funds in the last four months of 2008 to save it from collapse.

The bailout sparked public outrage amid revelations that $90 billion of those funds were funneled quickly to banks that traded with AIG. Goldman received $12.9 billion in payments and collateral, while most AIG investors were wiped out and the mounting cost of the bailout sparked outrage.

Viniar told reporters the trades with AIG were "commercial contracts" and the insurer was obligated to make good.

"We don't think we did anything wrong," he said. "We had commercial terms. It is our responsibility to our shareholders to make sure that we are protecting ourselves."
More at Link...

White House considers reforms for nonbank fin firms
www.reuters.com...

WASHINGTON, March 21 (Reuters) - Establishing a formal process for the U.S. government to unwind failing non-bank financial firms, like AIG, has moved to the top of the Obama administration's financial regulation reform agenda, sources familiar with discussions said late on Friday.

While Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is expected to unveil the bare outlines of that agenda next week, sources told Reuters that President Barack Obama has put "unwind authority" on a fast track and wants urgent legislation from Congress.

For now, that priority will sideline other initiatives, such as setting up a "systemic risk" regulator, taking steps to protect consumers and investors, and restructuring the U.S. financial oversight bureaucracy, the sources said.

The government's handling of the problems at Bear Stearns and the Lehman Brothers collapse in 2008, as well as the AIG affair, were severely complicated by the lack of a clear administrative procedure for dealing with such situations.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp has a long-established process for bringing failing banks under government control, but there is no such procedure for non-bank institutions.

FDIC Chairman Sheila Bair told a Senate committee on Thursday that her agency's process for dealing with troubled banks could also be applied to non-bank financial firms.
More at Link...

Great...more for Congress to "investigate"...

We are talking about contractual law...more to be "Amended"???

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Layoffs spreading across sectors, bankrupt supermarket looted in north

www.haaretz.com...

The sight of people carrying off refrigerators, air conditioners, shelves and food from the market was another sign of the deepening economic crisis. Dozens of people from the town and neighboring Tuba-Zangaria were seen leaving the store with their hands full. By afternoon, the store had been stripped bare, including the doors and the office supplies.

From Israel...

You'd think this could never happen to me...

A special kind of awareness develops.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by DangerDeath]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

I'm sure it will come down to this in America sooner or later. All markets are feeling the strain of the Depression now.

I dont know if I've said it in this thread or not, but it hit my family in the face again this week when my mother and sister were fired on the same day. Now my whole family of 4 is out of work and looking desperately.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

You did mention it, yes. Sad and disturbing.
America is big, this may happen in certain areas definitely.

Luckily, you can't by ammo any more

The measures have been taken.
Cynically speaking - But not the right measures...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Dow -122.42 -1.68% 7,278.38
NASDAQ -26.21 -1.77% 1,457.27
S&P -15.50 -1.98% 768.54
===
Gold $950.86
Oil $51.99

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I wonder if Greenspan takes his children to where the big looting is done. He says another bailout of 750Bn needed...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It never ends.

Conn. official says AIG understated bonus pool

Employees of the company's financial-products unit were paid $218 million in retention bonuses rather than the $165 million reported last week, according to Blumenthal's office.

Source: Market Watch (can't establish link)
www.marketwatch.com...

[edit on 21-3-2009 by DangerDeath]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Star 4 U!

Good try!!!

I got it posted up near the top of the page...

Thanks fer the Looting Storys!!!
(New thread started to cover this topic)
www.abovetopsecret.com...
===
EURO 1.3579
GBP 1.4461
JPY 95.89

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Sorry, there's so much info, I'm getting dizzy

You're the boss!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

No Boss here...
Just OP...

Dizzying...yes...

Had a hard time keeping up last nite with posts gone wild also...

===
Gas $1.453
DXY 83.71
TNX 26.25

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I am sad to hear this and sincerely hope things will get better for you and yours asap!
I am sick and tired of hearing about good people being caught up in this chit-storm.

Oops...wanted to add these FYI tidbit: had the am local news on to catch the weather.They had on a couple of FBI agents who are in San Antonio "actively recruiting" for the NEW pet-project of the FBI,mortgage
fraud.They are going after not only lenders but regular people who "lied" on their aps with full intenet to seize assets for re-payment.
Over 2000 cases locally being investigated.

This is Orwellian to a fault?

2nd tidbit: Rural South Dakota,friend's family lives there...NO ammo ANYWHERE to be found and people are already starting to "trade it for services."
Damn...shoulda',woulda',coulda'...the heck with gold,LOL!
These are things I heard first-hand today.

The layers people,the layers of corruption are so many!

[edit on 21-3-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Boy...these guys just can't get a break...

Iceland takes over country's top two savings banks
www.reuters.com...

REYKJAVIK, March 21 (Reuters) - The Icelandic government said on Saturday its financial watchdog had taken over the country's top two savings banks, the latest part of the nation's banking sector to buckle under a weight of debt.

The government said discussions with creditors of both Reykjavik Savings Bank (SPRON) and Sparisjodabanki, formerly Icebank, had been unsuccessful and that their liquidity positions had continued to deteriorate, warranting such a move by the Financial Supervisory Authority (FSA).

"The Government of Iceland underlines that deposits in domestic commercial and saving banks and their branches in Iceland will be fully covered," the Ministry of Business Affairs said in the statement.

Eleven other savings banks would also receive liquidity support, it said.

The financial system and currency of the North Atlantic island nation were shattered five months ago when Iceland's main commercial banks collapsed in a matter of days.

Earlier this month the FSA took over Straumur Burdaras STRB.IC, the last major Icelandic bank left standing from the crisis in October.

Gudjon Gudmundsson, general manager of the Association of Icelandic Savings Banks, told state radio this week the government would probably become half owner of the country's 14 savings banks.

That would mean the number of savings banks, mostly small and scattered across the country, would fall from 14 to six or eight, he said.

SPRON had total assets of 267 billion Icelandic crowns (about $880 million) at the end of September 2008, including 212 billion crowns of loans listed as assets. Sparisjodabankinn had assets worth 289 billion crowns, with 105 billion crowns in loans and advances listed as assets at the end of June last year.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
THIS is NOT good,just spotted the news:

Venezuela military 'seizes ports'

news.bbc.co.uk...

"Soldiers were seen moving into major sites on Saturday, among them the port at Maracaibo, Venezuela's main oil-producing city..."

Look for this news to rock the oil-stocks/market on Mon for sure.
I'm seeing this as a real potential for crisis in terms of other oil-producing countries as well,they will absolutely start raising their pricing asap?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Yep Chavez has got tons of stuff going on down there...

Took over a bunch of food stores/businesses...natural resources...

Might allow Russian Jets/Bombers to hang out there...

Currency problems...

He's on a mission...

A look Ahead to Sunday nite/Monday Market opens...
==============================
Asian Market Indices

New Zealand 2599.03 -34.18 -1.30% 03/20
Australia 3405.00 -11.80 -0.35% 03/20
Nikkei 225 7945.96 -26.21 -0.33% 03/19
TOPIX 764.77 0.10 0.01% 03/19
TSE 2nd Sec 1795.84 0.07 0.00% 03/19
JASDAQ 39.43 0.64 1.65% 03/19
Korea 1170.94 9.13 0.79% 03/20
Taiwan 4961.62 -74.31 -1.48% 03/20
Taiwan OTC 74.09 -0.64 -0.86% 03/20
Shanghai 2281.09 15.33 0.68% 03/20
Shanghai A 2394.40 16.23 0.68% 03/20
Shanghai B 149.13 -1.13 -0.75% 03/20
Shenzhen A 791.99 -0.06 -0.01% 03/20
Shenzhen B 335.38 -3.50 -1.03% 03/20
SHSZ 300 2379.84 -2.73 -0.11% 03/20
Shenzhen comp 8647.51 25.04 0.29% 03/20
Hong Kong 12833.51 -297.41 -2.26% 03/20
HK CN Ent 7495.96 -235.47 -3.05% 03/20
HK Aff Crp 2932.42 -92.73 -3.07% 03/20
Singapore 1596.92 12.06 0.76% 03/20
SGX China 48.36 0.78 1.64% 03/20
Vietnam 266.62 -0.42 -0.16% 03/20
Thailand 429.64 1.92 0.45% 03/20
Philippines 1833.90 53.64 3.01% 03/20
Malaysia 856.82 4.64 0.54% 03/20
Indonesia 1360.89 19.29 1.44% 03/20
India 8966.68 -35.07 -0.39% 03/20
Pakistan 4576.92 -70.14 -1.51% 03/20
===============================
European Market Indices

Russia 696.93 2.24 0.32% 03/20
London 3842.85 25.92 0.68% 03/20
Paris 2791.14 14.15 0.51% 03/20
Frankfurt 4068.74 25.28 0.63% 03/20
Turkey 24038.89 70.06 0.29% 03/20
Hungary 10719.01 464.65 4.53% 03/20
Austria 1627.43 16.06 1.00% 03/20
Poland 23581.88 252.93 1.08% 03/20
Czech 730.00 -12.60 -1.70% 03/20
Sweden 661.59 -17.99 -2.65% 03/20
Finland 4624.68 -105.84 -2.24% 03/20
Norway 200.86 2.08 1.05% 03/20
Greece 1647.88 25.00 1.54% 03/20
Italy 12113.00 123.00 1.03% 03/20
Luxembourg 851.62 -9.64 -1.12% 03/20
Netherlands 212.71 2.33 1.11% 03/20
Iceland 241.19 6.99 2.98% 03/20
Denmark 226.94 -1.78 -0.78% 03/20
Switzerland 4787.17 -7.46 -0.16% 03/20
Spain 810.17 0.47 0.06% 03/20
Portugal 2076.60 -0.98 -0.05% 03/20
Ireland 2146.04 47.36 2.26% 03/20
Israel 675.18 2.27 0.34% 03/19
Egypt 373.96 4.70 1.27% 03/19
S. Africa 18886.45 313.01 1.69% 03/20
Morocco 22636.52 -228.95 -1.00% 03/20
Jordan 2630.73 5.77 0.22% 03/19
UAE Dubai 1532.76 24.71 1.64% 03/19

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I made a thread on this but I'll post here too:

Obama calls the man who nationalized Sweden's bank to Washington Friday
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Quote from article:
Now, US President Barack Obama cites Sweden as a possible model of how best to tackle failing banks.

Couple that with Bernanke and Bair saying "too big to fail must end".

And you get uncertainty again. Which is also perplexing because the bad bank plan will be announced next week. Does anyone else thing it won't be nice and pretty for the banks and their shareholders?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

It wasn't that long ago that Chaves went in and nationalized a HUGE USA company in the country also. This isn't really that big of a surprise if you look at how much he and Russia's president have been meeting.
It was bound to come out sooner or later that he was taking control of everything under the sun in that country. It is the only way he can truly "stay" in power for as long as he wants to. Control it all and the people have no choice but to bend to your will. He has taken well to his lessons from his Russian friends.

top topics

<< 152  153  154    156  157  158 >>

join