It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A great deppression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Could anyone inform me as to how far the world would be from a great deppression once it is announced that there is a global recession. I mean with my understanding of what is going on for the world to suffer a global recession that would mean all economies are either experiencing negative growth or their economy is stagnet.

Obviously production will drop around the world in all areas and how long is the world able to sustain this before it becomes a great deppression. I just look at the Australian tresurer he left here confident about Australias economy he attended the G20 summit and he came back completely shaken and keeps on warning of things to come.

Can anybody explain this because I've got a large family and I really dread the idea of waiting in a 2km line for a cup of soup

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Why wait?,by the time you see/read or hear it,it will be too late,don't panic but start stocking up on non-perishables now

[edit on 16-10-2008 by all2human]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Its just like anything else. There are varying degrees as to how bad something is. You tell me, whats the difference between a "severe recession" and a "mild depression". Just think about it.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by princeofpeace]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
We are in a recession which will get deeper. What's throwing the economists off this time is our global economy and in America we hide our poverty pretty well...for now.
I think one needs to look at these other postings promoting more fear and uncertainty. That said, I have warned my friends to have cash on hand as we could wake up any day to a "bank holiday" where no ATMs will work, no credit cards will work and possibly the stores you go to will not be able to give you change for the cash you hand them
This is where riots could break out as so many of us live paycheck to paycheck and rely on the handy neighborhood ATM.
The banks would re-open slowly. I'm trying to remember in FDR's time - I think the banks were closed anywhere from several days to a couple of weeks.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You never know what will happen. Maybe you should buy your soup tomorrow as soon as possible, but you might not need it. Who knows? By the way it's "depression" not "deppression" and if we do have one it will probably be the "Greater Depression" because no one has any of the means that they did in '29 to take care of themselves without the economy. Most people would probably turn into someone they usually would not be. If it does happen you might want to buy a weapon for defense, that is if we don't go into marshall law right afterwards. There are so many possibilities of what could happen and no one really knows, because the future isn't set in stone.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

I would be under the impression that some people may know of some forecats that if the world economy was to continue with a negative growth greater than 2 years there would be real concerns of a great depression or greater as you put it

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Just my humble opinion, but don't sweat all of these goings on around the world. However, don't stand idly by and wait for your soup either. Learn new skills: medical, horticulture, animal husbandry, self defense. Be, and I hate the word, proactive!

Because, if and likely when, the SHTF, you need to be able to fend for your family. Stocking up on food will only prolong the agony unless you can do something to feed your family in the long term.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
That is the point I am most worried about the long term the society that we have now just does not allow for us to hunt for ourselves back in 1929 there was still alot of open space back then, with alot of wild life just look at how big the worlds population has become. We are having a hard enough time feeding the worlds population through massive farming operations, look at Australia sure we have kangaroos and koalas and possums alike but your talking about 24 million people all doing the same thing at once, or in Americas case 240 million people all looking for something to hunt how long do we really think that we can servive by hunting wild life, or be able to grow our own crops with so many starving people about we would have to come together and have barracks of our own to protect the food that we grow with shifts to watch over them day and night and be willing to kill for the food that we do have if this does happen I think it is going to be true Armageddon not just a depression. At the end of the day if another depression hits now its likely to last several years not several months

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
stock up on MRE's that way if nothing happens you still have some on hand if you decide to go hunting or camping. The newer ones have a packet that uses a chemical to heat up the food. Other than that start going to the park and walk and walk more than a mile more like two. Talk to your relative or friend in the military about survival skills. Take a trip to your long lost uncle in the country and ask if you can join him when he goes hunting. Spend an afternoon, when you have the gas, and leave town and take a leaisurely trip on the backroads or learning the roads in your town. And quit listening and staring at the depressing news that includes both CNN and Fox. It's their job to sensationalize the facts. Stay positive. Learn something proactive like the previous poster says. If you keep positive this way you make yourself stronger for when the SreallyHTF or nothing happens at all. Just don't panic and by a fallout shelter. And yes there's still enough wildlife in America if we have to survive on hunting I see deer all the time at the park and late at night. I had my first wreck in a car because of a deer. Also find someone that has some skills in Arnis filipino stick and knife fighting. That way you can find just about anything about the size of you forearm or bigger to use as a weapon.

new topics

top topics

join