It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the obsession with one line posts?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
So now we have numerous members who make relevant and informative one line posts, but add extra lines just to avoid getting a warning, we've all seen them:

"Extra line added to make this a 2 line post" etc etc

Some of the most famous quotes in history occupy just one line, some of the best responses I have seen are just one line.

So can we apply some kind of common sense here, and start assessing the actual quality of the response, instead of its length?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Shushhh But i think its already in place

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Here's why...

ABOUT ATS: Warnings for one-line or short responses

...and points mean a lot to people.

The explaination makes sense to me. Post with clarity, class and more that one line.
Make your post count.

Cuhail

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
You have agreement with me there, like you say, sometimes its just better to write one sentence, then a whole paragraph, of useless data, lol

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hey there all

Its really not about a 1 line response but a 1 line that really does not add to the topic at hand,

Ie like me just saying

"Yea"

Heres a quote about it as stated in Cuhails linked thread above,

We've seen a recent rash of new one-line responses to posts that add nothing to the flow of discussion.

One Line or less Responses or "me too" atta-boy comments contribute nothing to the discussion. These include rows of smilies, "you're wrong", or other similar short responses.

Each mod has the ability to apply nominal points warnings (20 points) for both of these minor board infractions. Please help us maintain the best discussion board possible by considering your responses in both content and length.

Unfortunately, those of you who have fallen into these habits, may get a few warnings in your U2U In Box. These warnings are not full Staff Warnings, but provide you with a link to your one-line post.

Please help keep ATS quality at its highest.

Hope that helps answer your question

Asala x

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
So can we apply some kind of common sense here, and start assessing the actual quality of the response, instead of its length?

The common sense in this case is that which we ask from our members. It's simple... if you don't have anything of substance to add to the conversation, don't add anything.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The one line post is the most misunderstood guideline on ATS. It's not a character count that determines what is and what isn't a one line post. You can post a sentence reply and if it adds to the thread or is relevant and pushes forward the discussion it isn't a one line post.

Here are a couple examples of a true "one line post":

or

I agree.

or

Me too

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

what KL said...

Here's the way ATS looks at short/1-line responses;

ABOUT ATS: Warnings for one-line or short responses

One Line or less Responses or "me too" atta-boy comments contribute nothing to the discussion. These include rows of smilies, "you're wrong", or other similar short responses.

examples;

1) I agree with you

2) I agree with you because the .... is bigger than the ....

(Whatever the ....'s were)

The first adds nothing to the discussion while the second gives a reason which hadn't been stated before and, thereby, adds to the discussion.

Some 1-liners can be good while others do nothing but take up space.

Hope that helps.

[edit on 10/10/08 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I do understand the basic premise of not wanting one line posts, how they can disrupt the flow of the conversation but I do agree that sometimes one well written line can be very relevant.

I find some of the long posts more disruptive and don't end up reading the whole thing. They can get redundant and a bit boring.

I do agree however that posts of just smilies is very annoying.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sometimes one line says more than 300 pages.

I guess it's down to you, the member, to ask your self : "Is this really adding to the thread, or do i just want to say it?"

Its a thin line, ive crossed it to offten. And probley am now.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Although I try not to make one line posts, sometimes there is nothing more that can be added without detracting from that one line.

More than once I've made a one line post, and then got a u2u - opened with trepidation, I have been pleasantly surprised to find an applause.

If it adds to the debate, it's good.

If it's just posting something for the sake of it and not adding anything or making a good point, it's bad.

That's my impression anyway.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I don't think anyone has any misunderstanding about posts that say "I agree" or "he's got a point".

But if I post "Actually, the correct date is June 14th".

Do I get warned for making a factual correction?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Do I get warned for making a factual correction?

Nope!.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

So now we have numerous members who make relevant and informative one line posts, but add extra lines just to avoid getting a warning, we've all seen them:

FEAR That's what it is

Someone asks you

"Does anyone know where I can get good Earthquake data?"

I answer...

"Here is the best source... www.iris.edu..."

Now both those are certainly one line of post... but it provides all that was asked for..

So do I now have the need to add... "And this is to make it a 2 liner
"

I have never yet been hammered for a one line post of that type... but because of the FEAR of the dreaded Overlords
people feel they need to add the extra... just to be safe...

Now if I say...

Kewl thread man

Starred and Flagged

Is that a one liner?

You figure it out

[edit on 16-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
A true "one-liner" is a post that would mean essentially the same thing if you had never posted it.

[edit on 10/16/2008 by Majic]

...and a deep philosophical question: if you edit what would otherwise be a one-liner, would the edit tag make it a de facto two-liner?

Also, for the record, adding "this is not a one-line post" to a post doesn't mean I won't warn it. Fair warning.

And to carry this whole edit gag a bridge too far, I would like to point out that I have never warned a one-line post that contributed something meaningful to the discussion. Just sayin'

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

FEAR That's what it is

I think usually when someone writes "this is not a one liner" in a post, it's a sign that when they first hit "post" they got the "We don't like one-liners here because we want to see discussions progress" screen. At least, that's what has made me do it.

We have the star and flag system so we can express our appreciation for a thread without having to waste server space and bandwidth just to say "I agree"

If we disagree, we should probably say why, or it's not very helpful.

If we have something valid to add that only takes one line, we get a chance when that screen pops up to make sure we're really contributing, and then we can use one of the many workarounds to get our post posted. (Like, "this is a second line" or adding smilies, or an unnecessary sentence, or whatever).

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
I think usually when someone writes "this is not a one liner" in a post, it's a sign that when they first hit "post" they got the "We don't like one-liners here because we want to see discussions progress" screen. At least, that's what has made me do it.

Really? Never saw that. Maybe it doesn't show up if you Quote?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Maybe they just introduce the feature to cope with me

Seriously, I'm not sure what kicks it off. I don't always get it – even in blatant oneliners like adding to the Three Word Story. I'd say maybe half the time that I post a sentence or less, I see the "we don't like one-liners" screen and get bumped back to the post edit box.

I haven't paid attention to whether it only happens if I haven't quoted, though.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
sometimes less is more....

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
the mods policy on one liners is so simple and totally good sence, I'm only new on here and understand it completely, its amazing how some people have to make a big deal out of nothing... just to have a whinge.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join