It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cook County Sheriff Suspends Evictions from Forclosure

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Cook County Sheriff Suspends Evictions from Forclosure

www.huffingtonpost.com

Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart will suspend all mortgage foreclosure evictions beginning Thursday, he announced today.
These mortgage companies only see pieces of paper, not people, and don't care who's in the building," Dart said in a statement. "They simply want their money and don't care who gets hurt along the way
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
How can he do that if the bank owns the property?

I can see it helping people, but as to being legal I do not see it.
I think it is up to the renters to see if a property is in trouble before
you rent. If it happens you have a suit against the one who rented to you, but it would be a civil matter.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+40 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Who gives a *snip* if it's legal at this point. I personally applaud him, and think that more should act independently to stave off this monstrous set of actions by ALL the profiteers globally.

More power to him. He gets my vote

AB1

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10/8/2008 by maria_stardust]

I dont need to review it, I knew exactly what I was doing, but thanks for trying lol

[edit on 8-10-2008 by alphabetaone]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Yay for the American spirit!!! You will be seeing alot more of these things!!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Im not saying I don't agree with him. I just wonder how it is being enforced.

Ama

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

In TX (down here anyways), the constables are called to issue the eviction and be present in case force is needed to evict the people.

It may be the sheriff that does it there. He and his deputies will just refuse to serve the eviction notice and refuse to assist in getting the people out.

Good for him, I say

[edit on 8/10/2008 by xxpigxx]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

An elected official who cares about the people who elected him... What a concept!

I think we'll see more of these type stories as time progresses. I'm not of the opinion that this particular snowball can be stopped.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Starred and flagged!

It's stories like these that people need to be seeing and responding to...these types of actions will definately be a snowball that cannot be stopped

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

How would You do that? Wouldn't that be confidential info? What happens if it goes into foreclosure after the renters have been there for awhile? A civil trial? Where does the family go after being evicted from their home? A shelter? I think this guy rocks, legal or not. He's doing what I believe is morally right. These banks have no worry for the families involved, it's $ $ $. I hope when Karma comes around She gives Mr. Sheriff a big pat on the back.

Who looks after the little guys? We need to take it upon Ourselves to look after and protect one another. The blood sucking has to stop.

Peace. K*

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
S&F!!

Great find and as other's have mentioned, I think we see the collective conscious start to rise up against such pervasive greed.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It's all fine and dandy, and I agree with the sheriff decisions, but what happens when they declare Martial Law?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 38181

We either fight or end up in FEMA camps, that's what.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Mortgage records are public, at least in this state. Agreed, that once your there it can happen anytime. I think the ones who lease and take money from people who know they are going to be forclosed on should be prosecuted.

I think as credit gets tighter you we are going to see more banks calling in loans sooner, especially if they are backed by FHA, as they can get that liquidity back,
from the federal government. So something does need to be done to protect the people.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It's nice to finally see someone like Tom Dart stand up for his fellow man and do what's right, regardless of what may be or may not be "legal" at this point.

We've all heard the old saying that it takes just one person to change things and it looks like this guy is on his way.

I'm going to drop an email to the Cook County Sheriff's Dept. to let Dart and his colleagues know I support his efforts.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Someone should give this man a medal.

My concern, however, isn't in what he's (not) doing, but more in some of the language included in the bailout bill. I'm trying to find the specific section(s), but isn't there some stuff thrown in there allowing for hiring personnel to act as agents of the Treasury or some such?
If I'm not mistaken, that could potentially cancel out any Good Guy attempts like this. If the gov't buys up a bum mortgage and the sheriff/constable responsible for removing the tenants won't comply, well then the Property Police would just handle it.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Artista

You should point him to this thread to see the support he has

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Only the Sheriff can evict. The mortgage companies knew that when they made the loans.

Sheriff's have more power than most people know. They can overule Judges at their discretion.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I just wanted to add that I contacted the Cook County Sheriffs office and He was not available. I wanted to let Him know how great it is that He's willing to take a stand, regardless of the repercussions. I was then directed to cookcountysheriff.org. Feel free to leave Your messages on the site.

Peace. K*

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by anachryon

It's great to see someone take a stand against the greed and inhumanity. But I am sure they will find other ways of getting the people out of their homes. It will probably get nasty too.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
reply to post by anachryon

It's great to see someone take a stand against the greed and inhumanity. But I am sure they will find other ways of getting the people out of their homes. It will probably get nasty too.

Not without changing the law. In Illinois everyone knows...Noone but the Sheriff can evict you from your home.

To go around it they'll have to remove the Sheriff, an elected official. I am not sure about the process of removing an elected official but it won't be easy considering the environment.

What I see is a standoff that the people will ultimately win. I think this is becoming pretty clear. In addition to this story, many mortgage companies are in negotiations with the attorneys general of several states, Illinois being one of them.

Keeping people in their homes is being fought on at least three levels of Government.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by bruxfain]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join