It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tonights Town Hall Debate Discussion

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tommy_boy

He shouldn't have called Obama "THAT one." That's condescending.

It was obviously a comment made in the heat of the moment; I don’t think John McCain truly meant anything by it. If anything honesty showed through him, why should he have to pretend he likes Obama anyway? You can be respectful with out having to act like your opponent is your best buddy.

I think McCain lost the debate, on points and I think his demeanor was less than stellar, I also don’t think it helps him to appear like a grumpy old man who has contempt for Obama. However the media is paying too much attention to that comment instead of focusing on the important issues each candidate addressed.

I saw Joe Lieberman on TV today and they had the nerve to ask him about the “that one” comment. Perhaps they are trying to set this issue straight but it still annoys me, the Democratic Senator I’m sure can talk intelligently about many issues and they are wasting his time tackling that little comment.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
It was obviously a comment made in the heat of the moment; I don’t think John McCain truly meant anything by it. If anything honesty showed through him, why should he have to pretend he likes Obama anyway? You can be respectful with out having to act like your opponent is your best buddy.

I would say that it showed a lack of common courtesy. It was apparent that McCain has nothing but contempt for his opponent, and it did nothing to help him win over anyone sitting on the fence. He came across as a bitter, cold, angry old man, and other than his base, no one cared for this particular remark. It was a bad move politically. He should have known that the media would run with it. In my opinion, it shows bad judgement.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
as an 'interested spectator', and I must add, strict neutral, from across the pond, I can't help but see a few striking things:

- Barack Obama exudes confidence on the public stage, he conducts himself with a sense of elegance, clarity and dignity. John McCain looks like a tired old man, restricted to throwing insults and shoddy rhetoric at his opponent. Do Ameicans want another bumbling idiot being their representative worldwide?

- Obama is focussing on real issues that will affect ordinary Americans, such as healthcare and job stability. Additionally, he has a 'building bridges' outlook on world relations. McCain wants to continue spending untold billions on maintaining a continued stance of being the 'world police', while adopting economic policies to continue protecting the wealthy and corporate. How will this help approach help the overwhelming majority of voters?

While I am neutral, I must confess that I believe the greatest hope lies with an Obama presidency. Think of it as an opportunity for America to be 'reborn', with a new degree of optimism. A McCain presidency, I fear, will lead to 'more of the same'. Of course, I won't be voting, but those of you who will, have a think about it, you have a great opportunity to change the way the world views America.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I agree with many of your points. Star for you
. However I still think there are more important things to talk about and that all of us, Senator or not, say unwise things in the heat of the moment when we are trying to emphasize a point. It wasn’t an ideal comment but is it really worth all this attention?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Oh, I agree, there are far more important things to talk about given the current state of the global economy! I just wish the two candidates had. It was just the same ole crap that they have been spewing for months! The only new thing new was the absurd suggestion McCain made about buying up all the bad mortgages. We are over 10 trillion dollars in debt, just threw away almost a trillion dollars to bailout Wall Street, and now he wants us to buy up bad mortgages??? Sorry, but it ticks me off how cavalier these politicians are with our tax money.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

I would say that it showed a lack of common courtesy. It was apparent that McCain has nothing but contempt for his opponent, and it did nothing to help him win over anyone sitting on the fence. He came across as a bitter, cold, angry old man, and other than his base, no one cared for this particular remark. It was a bad move politically. He should have known that the media would run with it. In my opinion, it shows bad judgement.
One could argue Obama showed a lack of common courtesy by constantly reffering to Senator McCain as John in the first debate. Its all hogwash in the end and distracts all of us from the real issues at hand.

Mr. Happy Pants (Obama) is nothing but a script cabinet. Yes, McCain was probably a little bitter and cold, but you find me Americans that aren't at the moment.

The last debate is going to be more of the same. But hopefully people will see how rehearsed Obama is as compared to McCains natural and honest feel.

[edit on 10/8/2008 by AndrewTB]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

The only new thing new was the absurd suggestion McCain made about buying up all the bad mortgages.

Yeah as I’ve said before it seems McCain is again trying to throw anything at a wall that will stick. Maybe it is the same wall Obama’s jello is nailed to?

I don’t think that comment helped him with his base, and the rest of America seemed to react like “what the hell?”

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Tom Brokaw destroyed that debate. Total liberal media bias.

From the opening words where he raised his chin and voice to announce Obama and lowered his chin and voice to announce McCain, he showed his bias in body language then manipulated the questions. Hell half the questions were his own. Town hall style is supposed to be questions from the public not corporate media canned everyday questions like we got there.
It is no coincidence that the town hall setting was McCains best style and Obama's worst that Brokaw destroyed the setting in favor of Obama.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
One good reason not to drink and post.

There was no bias. I hear that every time yer guy loses.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Grafilthy]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

Tom Brokaw

Tom was pretty boring but to be fair it wasn’t MSNBC or NBC’s idea to do the town hall format that way. The Debate Commission (is that the correct name for the organization? I forgot it) decided how the town hall setting would be and both candidates pre-approved it. Neither had to agree, they chose to and they got what they agreed to.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Tom Brokaw

Tom was pretty boring but to be fair it wasn’t MSNBC or NBC’s idea to do the town hall format that way. The Debate Commission (is that the correct name for the organization? I forgot it) decided how the town hall setting would be and both candidates pre-approved it. Neither had to agree, they chose to and they got what they agreed to.

No they didn't get a classic town hall. They got precanned corporate america questions. Half the questions were Brokaw's own. For a wide range of america we are expected to believe only three topics were asked? Brokaw picked the questions whether they agreed to it or not Brokaw had absolute authority over the direction of the debate. Brokaw is biased and it was transparent.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Perhaps they are trying to set this issue straight but it still annoys me, the Democratic Senator I’m sure can talk intelligently about many issues and they are wasting his time tackling that little comment.

It goes beyond that, rapinbatsisaltherage. Alone, the comment is just a meaningless comment, but this shows a pattern of behavior from McCain that is telling.

- Starting with the first debate, he's been condescending to Obama. He wouldn't look at him, he wouldn't' address him directly.
- He makes comments during this debate that condescend to a young independent voter regarding Fannie Mae.
- He calls Obama "That One."
- He was flat out rude to Brokaw in a joke that came off wrong.
- He leaves the debate IMMEDIATELY after it was over instead of visiting with the crowd.

On their own, they mean nothing, but together, it at least begs the question of whether his rhetoric about being in tune with average Americans is genuine, or if he's just blowing smoke and saying what he has to say.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

No they didn't get a classic town hall.

Where did I say they did? I was explaining to you it was not meant to be classic town hall style, it was only a town hall format that both candidates new the details of prior to and agreed to.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Brokaw picked the questions

Where was it stated he picked the questions? I know they were previously picked but where has it been stated he personally did so? Anyway what did you expect? I’m sure many asked questions, they had to pick out of those many questions. What questions did you consider biased?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Folks, please remember that the negotiation on the rules of these debates are big deals. The campaigns call the shots, and the moderator is bound by those rules. If the debate was boring, it was a direct results of the agreed-upon rules, and not because of the moderator's enforcement of those rules.

They obviously did not agree to rebuttal time, so Brokaw tried to enforce that.

I'm not a Brokaw fan necessarily, but he did his job in my view. the debate was boring because the campaigns structured them that way.

Additionally, it also seems ridiculous to me that the Republican Party, prior to the end of the debate, was already sending emails to the Elections Committee about the format. This is absurd, since the CAMPAIGNS are responsible for the rules of engagement.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Oh, I just have to say it one more time! Here's who should moderate ALL Presidential Debates!!!

Hell, if she were running, I'd vote for her!!! Can you imagine her meeting with Congress???

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Hell, if she were running, I'd vote for her!!! Can you imagine her meeting with Congress???

Can't stand her! Would be hilarious though.....

"Shut up Lieberman! I said shut up! Didn't your mother teach you anything???"
So funny I can't stand it.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't hear McCain refer to himself as a maverick one time during that debate. Thank god! Last night, his catch all phrase was "My friend".

I don't think McCain brought anything new to the table, seems he was more interested in discrediting Obama. I'd like to hear what he has to say about winning this war, since he says he 'knows how to win it". Well, How?

Obama didn't bring anything new either, but at least he mostly stayed on focus. Yeah, he did defend himself, as well he should, but he didn't sink to McCains level.

McCain, as some have said, looked much older and more frail last night. He didn't look well.

It was almost painful to me to see McCain talk to that young African American guy like he was mentally slow. He was extremely condescending and rude. I wish the people asking questions could reply and hold a conversation with both McCain and Obama. Just once would I like to hear one of them say, " but you didn't answer my question."

I'm looking forward to the next debate. In my opinion, I think Obama scored more points last night.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Clark W. Griswold]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark W. Griswold

'knows how to win it".

He says the same thing about catching Osama. I wonder why then his assistance hasn't helped our government do so in the past seven years?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark W. Griswold

I think you're right, Clark, on all points. Except the last debate, to me, is exciting because it's the last one. But in terms of content, there will be nothing new. Their talking points are set. Each will go after the other on the same stuff, they will rebutt in the same way. McCain will be able to attack more, so he'll be swinging wildly and attacking more in that one, especially if he's 5+ poll points down.

In the last debate, the tie goes to Obama. That's the 12th round, and Obama's in the lead in points. WAAAY in the lead.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join