It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few meters planetoid will hit Earth

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
1 kiloton... that's the size of a suitcase nuke!
It should have hit 2½ hours ago

There is no such thng as a sitcase nuke.

Rusian propaganda, bougth into worldwide.

We can't come close to creating one. Nuclear weapons don't work that way.

Full size refridgertor is about the smallest size and that takes 3 round round the clock engineers to keep it viable.

It will fit into a cargo transport and we offload them all the time at our ports.

That's scary enough.

*Edit for spelling*

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Q Level]

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Q Level]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Cool

A snapshot could be great!

But those little comets are not that unusual.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q Level

There is no such thng as a sitcase nuke.

Rusian propaganda, bougth into worldwide.

Thus far, only the United States and the Soviet Union/Russian Federation are known to have possessed nuclear weapons programs developed and funded well enough to manufacture miniaturized nuclear weapons. Both the United States and the Soviet Union have acknowledged producing nuclear weapons small enough to be carried in specially-designed backpacks during the Cold War, but neither have ever made public the existence or development of weapons small enough to fit into a normal-sized suitcase or briefcase.

en.wikipedia.org...

So during the Cold War we could make mini-nukes that fit in large backpacks. It's been many years. We have suitcase nukes
Hell, we probably have pocket watch nukes. We spend a gazillion dollars on weapons development.

[edit on 7-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Q Level

Yes, there are suitcase nukes. Most are unaccounted for after the fall of the USSR, so probably worthless by now, but still. Also, there's this.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I know its a long shot, but you dont think this could have been a result of this Meteor blowing in the atmosphere do you?

No explanation other than it was flying near the North West coast of Australia, at level flight, when it was allegedly hit by a huge wave of turbulence.

The turbulence must have been incredible to break peoples bones? probably not, but something to consider.

Here

Probably just grasping straws, you have to admit though, people dont normally break bones for no reason, and pilots are good at predicting turbulence.

Shockwave maybe?

Several more links,

Qantas jet makes emergency landing

Upto 50 injured in mid air incident

Mid air incident forces Qantas flight to declare Mayday

As i said probably nothing, but with talk of a possible EMP burst, and the plane reported to have hit turbulence, and lose instruments, could have been a second Meteor, can anyone find a time?

Dozens hurt in Mid air Turbulence

[edit on 7/10/2008 by azzllin]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
reply to post by Q Level

Yes, there are suitcase nukes. Most are unaccounted for after the fall of the USSR, so probably worthless by now, but still. Also, there's this.

Don't believe everything you hear or read.

Thre are none accounted for after the fall of the USSR, because there were none, but it made for good propaganda.

Too easy to fall into that trap of buying unto the hype.

Your back pack could at best be a dirty bomb. Still not a nuclear bomb.

Reasearch will tell you the neccessary weight and size for a nucler reaction used as a bomb. Requires constant survailence and maintenance.

Not saying that small devices aren't out of the question, but not suicase size.

Small enough to have a serious/dangerous yield would be around refridgerator size.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I have to ask. You don't suppose this is Blossom Goodchild's "DIAMONDS," do you?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone posted this but MSNBC has a picture, I'm not sure if it's from today but here you go.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 7-10-2008 by miguelbmx]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I'm reading many things about an "EMP" burst from an asteroid. It won't happen.

Wikipedia EMP info

You need a release of Gamma Radiation coupled with the Compton effect to have any chance of a large EMP range. Simply "blowing up something" in the atmosphere doesn't do it...

...Unless the meteorite was made of uranium and reached critical mass during reentry, starting a chain reaction and a nuclear detonation.

(There have been no uranium rich meteors to date that would contain enough uranium to achieve critical mass).

Now... a large meteor hitting the Earth would transfer an immense amount of energy into a large explosion that would mimic a nuclear detonation, without the radiation (gamma rays, etc....)

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

New Delhi: It was a spectacular show in the sky early Tuesday morning, when a small asteroid entered the earth's atmosphere releasing a huge amount of light and energy before exploding. The asteroid, 2008 TC3, entered the earth's atmosphere at 2.46 am (GMT) in Sudan (Africa). The asteroid was also visible in Europe but not in Asia. "Measuring only a few meters across, the space rock created a spectacular fireball, releasing huge energy as it disintegrated and exploded in the atmosphere," Director of Nehru Planetarium N Rathnashree said.

almost fogot the link

nothing bad happened. but i wish saw this shooting star

[edit on 7-10-2008 by silencee]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Gimme gets a gold star, for being unwavering in his insistence that this was no big deal, and for being a steadfast voice of reason.

Good work, Gimme. I recommend you highly for some official applause, for whatever that poor recommendation is worth.

As I said earlier, it was a safe bet you were right, but when you have a whole series of people pounding on you to change that bet, it is not very easy to remain firm, which you did.

Good work. Keep posting and denying ignorance!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Q Level

I worked on nukes in the Navy, I can tell you that your 100 % wrong.

Back on topic now

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Any rock a few meters in size, will be destroyed by Earth's atmosphere, not even having a chance to hit the planet.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by robwerden
reply to post by Q Level

Back on topic now
I can't believe the Navy trusted someone with nukes that doesn't know the difference between your and you're

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Q Level

Back on topic now

In support of what you are saying, it was well known that 8 inch nuclear rounds were produced to fire from tanks and howitzers. The tanks, in an ideal situation, could fire these up to 1 kilometre, and the rounds had a lethal range of up to 1 kilometre. So the idea was you fired from the top of a ridge with the wind behind you, then charged down the ridge in the other direction as fast as you could.

The existence of these rounds and small demolition nukes was officially declassified. I used to used the declassification document when people argued that nukes could not have been used in 9-11 because they were so huge and devastating. However these documents seem to have been withdrawn from the net and I suspect they have been reclassified. I'd be interested to know what anyone else can find.

I found one article referencing the 8" nukes by William F. Burns, former director of the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency (ACDA), who actually put some together.

... a corporal in the van was going to tell us how to put five components together and make an 8 inch projectile. After about three hours and after many false starts on his part, with the manual we were able to more or less put the projectile together. After this we were certified as being able to put together "a nuclear round," and two weeks later we deployed to the United States Army Europe. In Europe, we suddenly found ourselves proud owners of not only a training round but several of those olive green colored nuclear rounds.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by careface

reply to post by Q Level

Back on topic now
I can't believe the Navy trusted someone with nukes that doesn't know the difference between your and you're

LOL

I know the difference between your and you're, and that helps make me a good English teacher. It does nothing to help me in engineering or science.

I've known plenty of people who range in their areas from adequate to utterly brilliant and wouldn't have a clue about basic grammar.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
did it hit this morning?????? nothing in the news so far... ore is it banned for public?????

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
did it hit this morning?????? nothing in the news so far... ore is it banned for public?????

There is nothing to be banned. There was one report (see a few posts up,) of a pilot seeing a small flash in the sky in the right place at the right time, and that's it.

Seems it burnt up in the upper atmosphere too quietly for anyone else to notice.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by careface

what a trollish response, because we all have the time to sit and edit our posts all day...

Not everyone lives in moms basement

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join