It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Knife With Your Hoodie?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Cars Kill bunchs of peoples everydays !!!

a guy killed another guy with a wooden chair !!!

Lets boycott chairs and cars , its dangerous and it kill peoples!!

ok ok guys, you can throw rocks at me i have my helmet.....

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

It only takes about a quarter of an inch to slit a humans throat. Anything in existence can be a weapon.

As to the OP; is it really going to make a difference in knife crimes to shut down a company because they make an overpriced jacket that just happens to contain a blade? No. If a person really wanted to stab someone they wouldn't even have to have a knife. Carkeys, a shard of glass, etc. It won't make a difference. Just like outlawing guns won't make a difference. It's like drugs. Banning drugs doesn't keep people from doing drugs. Banning guns doesn't keep people from getting guns. It only serves to detract from the regular citizenry. Problem now is, the only people getting these guns ARE the criminals. Just like the only people shanking innocent bystanders in the UK ARE criminals.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
You Brits blow my freaking mind with your ignorance.

Answer me this: How many people each year die of knife wounds in the UK? And how many people die of car accidents each year in the UK?

And you idiots want to ban knives? Please, I could gut your ass with a number 2 pencil before you could scream for help, should we ban them too? Oh how about rocks, rocks are a ranged weapon that can inflict damage remotely, that sounds MORE dangerous than a knife...

I could subdue someone quicker with my bare hands then with some tiny cheap ass 2 inch knife.

It's that freaking people not the inanimate objects you morons. If you banned every single thing on your crappy little island that could possibly be used as a weapon you would still have people who want to kill other people and there would still be murders.

Maybe some thought should be put into why these people want to hurt others. I know, I know they are just evil right?

Maybe if someone you love was beaten to death and they had no means available to them to defend themselves you would be able to pull your heads out of your asses and see just how dead wrong you are.

People will murder people with or without weapons. Can you physically restrain ANYONE that might want to hurt you? Or would it be nice to have something to level the playing field?

Oh and about the hoodies being a gang thing. LOL!
Want to BAN them too? How about forced government issued uniforms? That would stop anyone from appearing too sinister for the faint of heart...

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I could subdue someone quicker with my bare hands then with some tiny cheap ass 2 inch knife

Boycott hands ?

More seriously, at this speed, soon we're not gonna be able to do anythings because it could be potentially dangerous ..

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Well, as far as knives stand, we robotics tech's during our education used combat knives. We modified them... put a hooked point, and a flat-head screwdriver point at the very tip... turned the ripping blade into a wire stripper by placing exact sized cuts of different guages along the back end, and flattened the lower shaft to be used to bend objects along a 90 degrees angle.

It basically became the most useful tool I've ever owned.
Not to mention, because of it's obvious advantages, not only did the schools administration permit us to have these on us in sheaths... the program coordinator actually recommended we all make them and carry them.

They couldn't be used as weapons effectively any more, as it would be as difficult as using a screwdriver to hunt with... but they were still combat knives at heart never-the-less.

Mine has since rusted horribly cause I didn't heed the instructors warning and have it rust proofed... but anyway...

the point is, knives don't add up to criminal activity... it's what you do with the knife that does.

Granted, concealing the knife adds up to suspicion... but by acting on suspicion you are setting a precedent, that anyone with a blade, is automatically guilty of something.

... which would make plenty of chefs, hunters, technicians, and stay at home moms look pretty guilty indeed.

Basically, what I'm saying is, companies keep logs of what they sell... maybe the police should be looking into using this company as an ally... to see if a known offender premeditated his assault by buying concealed weapons...

... instead of attacking people who will undoubtedly buy these things for the sake of curiosity.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by somedood

that is so ridiculous, firstly we aint talking about someone who purposefully goes out to hurt or rob or murder, i personaly am talking about a kid given a knife that he wouldnt normally have, I.E. he wouldnt have it if he hadnt bought the jacket.

the whole point of the thread is that it is irresponsible of a company to sell a knive as part of a jacket, i know that must be a hard concept for you to grasp having been brought up in a gun culture. but our "crappy little country aint done too bad in the past an were just trying to stop things before we get to the same point you country is in, with people shooting each other because they dont come from the same neighbourhood.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

Oh I must have missed it, was this a Harry Potter hoodie or something? Last time I checked hoodies were not just for kids. Just because someone sells something does not mean it is for kids. Not everything on this earth needs to be child proofed.

I grew up in this country where we "kill each other for being from a different neighborhood" with a knife in my pocket and a gun in my hand. I have never shot anyone, I have never shanked anyone. I have had access to knives and guns my entire life, but being a decent human being I have never used one to harm someone.

Honestly all you ban knives people scare me. You make it seem like anyone that happens across a knife would stab someone with it. WTF. Would you go on a murderous rampage if you happened to find a knife or a gun? Are you afraid of what you might do if you had access to a weapon? It really seems like those who would like to see every potential weapon banned are just afraid of their own dark thoughts...

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
ok ill try again no offence meant but you just dont seem to be getting where im coming from.
i am not talking about banning knives
hooded sweatshirts an jackets are linked to gangs, mostly made up of youths, in britain. the same as certain coloured bandanas are linked to gangs in america, that does not mean everyone wearing a bandana is in one of the gangs
if you carry a knife and a gun are you not more likely to use one if you were mugged? which would end up with you charged with assault or murder. personally having worked with both kids who've killed and kids who've been stabbed i'd rather err on the side of caution.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DrBones666

Well,You chose to use your age as some sort of varification of your "enlightened" opinions...It was not my choice,and i am not here to use age as some kind of argument/defense...I'm 10 years older than you,and i really don't care... Funny too see you throwing around things like"Retard Attempting Poetry" and than whimpering about my generalization of your own generalizations,LOL...

Anyhow,back to the subject at hand #1. I seem to remember a couple things in them history books about "Gangsters"/"Mobsters" of the 30's 40's 50's,So again,your Utopian Analysis could no be any further from the truth...

And whilst everyone worries about a 2.5' pocket knife,did you all miss that clothing line in the USA that came out last year that had BUILT IN holsters,for concealing GUNS in "Urban Clothing"?!...If you think this knife thing is as bad as it gets,thats not even the half of it!...LOL

...Mr.Lif,Aesop Rock,Sage Francis,Outkast,The Coup,Brother Ali...Just A Couple *R.A.P* "Really Amazing Poets"!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DrBones666

Well,You chose to use your age as some sort of verification of your "enlightened" opinions...It was not my choice,and i am not here to use age as some kind of argument/defense...I'm 10 years older than you,and i really don't care... Funny too see you throwing around things like"Retard Attempting Poetry" and than whimpering about my generalization of your own generalizations,LOL...

Anyhow,back to the subject at hand #1. I seem to remember a couple things in them history books about "Gangsters"/"Mobsters" of the 30's 40's 50's,So again,your Utopian Analysis could no be any further from the truth...

And whilst everyone worries about a 2.5' pocket knife,did you all miss that clothing line in the USA that came out last year that had BUILT IN holsters,for concealing GUNS in "Urban Clothing"?!...If you think this knife thing is as bad as it gets,thats not even the half of it!...LOL

...Mr.Lif,Aesop Rock,Sage Francis,Outkast,The Coup,Brother Ali...Just A Couple *R.A.P* "Really Amazing Poets"!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
This is the same issue as that with switchblades in NYC, I as a new yorker can purchase a locking knife with a significant blade quite easily, but add a device that changes no real functionality of the knife but equates it with gang culture and suddenly its illegal.

If suddenly knives painted red became the hot thug trend, and there was a huge gang movement towards red knives. Even if red knives became entrenched in gang culture, it doesn't matter, we still shouldn't make selling red knives illegal because... oh yeah, its just a color that represents something.

The hoodie is legal. The knife is legal. Even if hoodies are as entrenched in gang culture as you seem to think, there is no reason to make the hoodie and the knife being sold together illegal

this whole thing is ridiculous

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Your grammar is terrible and you have a peculiar nuance for using what we in the States call "redneck gibberish". Are you sure you're from the UK?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Ahhhh i can see it now..

What a bright Future for both Fashion & Arms Dealers.

Next on the catwalk will be Bikini's with Uzi's in the Bikini Tops.

Oh and let us not leave the Terrorists out...

Stylish ure Leather Vests, with Side pockets & straps, Complete with a ready to use Plastic Explosive outer cover for those days when you just need to get some attention.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Dude, you're wasting your time trying to argue common sense against Americans. After all these people think it's fine to hand out a rifle on opening an account with some banks. They hold onto their right to bear arms, which was essentially brought in to allow people to hunt for themselves way back in th 1800's. Whilst it made sense back then, their feirce protection of the constitution doesn't allow it to evolve into something sensible, modern and civilised.
This is the UK, there are no vast open spaces like America. Very little hunting to be done. Most of these kids live in urban jungles, concrete for miles, and encased in a gang culture where its cool and tough to carry and use a knife. Only last week a TKMAXX shop assistant was stabbed outside her shop in England - Ironic? You'd think that they would't have stocked them at least out of respect - and you're argueing that knives are usefull to them? You've obviously not seen a stab or slashing victim then.
Just like you have your drive by's, we have stabbings. Restriction is sensible, you can't buy a knife unless you're over 16 (and yes, there are exceptions for carrying them before you all start whining, camping etc).
Selling them as part of a street jacket doesn't help anyone.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman

Dude, you're wasting your time trying to argue common sense against Americans. After all these people think it's fine to hand out a rifle on opening an account with some banks. They hold onto their right to bear arms, which was essentially brought in to allow people to hunt for themselves way back in th 1800's. Whilst it made sense back then, their feirce protection of the constitution doesn't allow it to evolve into something sensible, modern and civilised.
This is the UK, there are no vast open spaces like America. Very little hunting to be done. Most of these kids live in urban jungles, concrete for miles, and encased in a gang culture where its cool and tough to carry and use a knife. Only last week a TKMAXX shop assistant was stabbed outside her shop in England - Ironic? You'd think that they would't have stocked them at least out of respect - and you're argueing that knives are usefull to them? You've obviously not seen a stab or slashing victim then.
Just like you have your drive by's, we have stabbings. Restriction is sensible, you can't buy a knife unless you're over 16 (and yes, there are exceptions for carrying them before you all start whining, camping etc).
Selling them as part of a street jacket doesn't help anyone.

You really believe that the right to bear arms is so we can hunt?!?!?You have it wrong there my friend.Read the second amendment carefully.It is a defense against tyranny brother.And if you think we cant stand up against their technology,look at Vietnam.Farmers with A-K 47's held us off for a while,until we were driven out of that area.Get your facts straight "Bloke"

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

Hunt / Tyranny - whatever, its all the same. Facing much tyranny in the US these days? And what are you talking about technology 'Dude'?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman

After all these people think it's fine to hand out a rifle on opening an account with some banks. They hold onto their right to bear arms, which was essentially brought in to allow people to hunt for themselves way back in th 1800's. Whilst it made sense back then, their feirce protection of the constitution doesn't allow it to evolve into something sensible, modern and civilised.

You are wrong there my friend. From wiki

Codification of the right to keep and bear arms into the Bill of Rights was influenced by a fear that the federal government would disarm the people in order to impose rule through a standing army or select militia,[2] since history had shown the way tyrants eliminated resistance to suppression of political opponents was to simply take away the people's arms and make it an offense to keep them.

So - you see the main reason is to use them against an tyrannical government if need be, and has nothing to do with the hunt.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency

You are wrong there my friend. From wiki

So - you see the main reason is to use them against an tyrannical government if need be, and has nothing to do with the hunt.

Right, Ok, I'm mistaken. Regardless, is the USA facing much of a threat from Tyranny in this day and age (Specifically internally?) Is that not what your massive miitary machine is used for?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Importantly, this jacket is a fashion item that would not last ten minutes in any survival or even outdoor/woodsman type scenarios. A knife has no place as an accessory, specifically a casual jacket sold in a high street store.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
leaking aside all arguments about knife crime / ownership

the claim that this garment reached the sales floor without ANYONE @ tk-maxx stores realising it had a knife attached is , to be blunt :

UTTER TWADDLE

an ex of mine worked as a buyers assistant for a major UK retail store - and the process of line selection is BRUTAL

every detail is debated , from style & cut - to finish , manufactufing quality -0 and the bottom line PRICE

the salesman from the manufacturer or wholesaler has to make a short prentation to the buying team , then the questions begin

and i cannot believe that the seller / agent never mentioned the " free knife " in his sales pitch , or that the knife was not spotted by examination or finally theat when asked ` why does it cost so much ` - the " bonus " knife was not mentioned to justify the wholesale price demanded

" we didnt know " is a pathetic lie IMHO

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join