It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008 Australian Happiness Index.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Australian men are happiest when they are having sex or surfing the net, but women prefer to get their endorphins racing by having meals with friends and petting their pooches, according to the 2008 Australian Happiness Index.

Rest, relaxation and entertainment topped the list for both men and women in the index, with quality time with your partner also making the top four for each sex.

But that's where the similarities end.

Sex ranks as a top five activity to make men happy and surfing the internet tops even that at number three.

Sex and the internet were also top 10 choices for women to make them happy, but enjoying a family meal and playing with pets or children ranked much higher.

Eating comfort food scored in the top 10 for both sexes, but the more discerning men questioned said they preferred great food and wine or drinking with friends to reaching for the chocolate.

Despite urban myths to the contrary, shopping does not make all women happy - only 30 per cent were happiest when shopping for new clothes, shoes or accessories.

It may come as little surprise that just 14 per cent of men were happiest when shopping.

One in two women said reading a good book made them happy whereas less than one in three men said the same, and 36 per cent of generous-natured women said buying gifts made them feel joyful, compared to a miserly 19 per cent of men.

The index was compiled by marketing consultants The Leading Edge who spoke to more than 8,500 Australians aged between 18 and 64.

"Australians are made happy on a week-to-week basis, not by possessions and achievements, but by entertaining experiences and by meaningful interactions with others," The Leading Edge managing director Karen Phillips said.

"Men are happiest whilst having sex" haha no suprise there

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Interesting thread. I'm not sure that, if I was an australian guy, I would be all too proud about those results. And I highly doubt that those stats are too different for american men. You're right, and it's sad to say...no surprise there.

I'd really like to hear if some of our australian members overall agree with those stats.

Rush

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Well now I should move to OZ.
Female who enjoys..in order..
1.Internet
2.Sex
3.Chocolate

My, my , my..what fun times are ahead.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
it depends what mood im in..lol

i get my kicks from having a laugh with friends, watching movies, driving in the mountains and occassionally discussing wierd and wonderful things with others and playing music with my mates... I doubt sex is my passion, id be disturbed if it was. Rather work and get paid then get laid..but thats my opinion

These days i get a kick out of going for coffee on nice days just really simple things tend to keep my occupied!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Considering I spend the majority of my day on the internet I would have to say I agree with the above 'Happiness' guide.

I have to say that among my Top Ten though is making chlorine bombs on a Friday night, getting drunk with a few mates then lobbing the bombs into my swimming pool to the great enjoyment of all involved (keeps the pool clean too!)

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Surveys, such as this one are full of it.

As the world and society changes marketers target their research towards a certain demographic.

Who and where and how many people were surveyed??

Fox.

(EDIT: saw bad grammar after hitting post.)

[edit on 7/10/08 by fox_3000au]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
It is also "wild card" statistics like this that make me question the validity....

"Sex ranks as a top five activity to make men happy and surfing the internet tops even that at number three.

Sex and the internet were also top 10 choices for women to make them happy, but enjoying a family meal and playing with pets or children ranked much higher."

Sex ranks as a top five, but the internet ranks as number three, so what is it? 4 or 5?

Sex and the internet also made the top 10, but other things were ranked higher.

Why not just grade the catagories? Instead of alluding too what they maybe...why not just say it? If the source is a Womens Mag, I bet that it was a headline on the cover.

Fox.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDN24
"Australians are made happy on a week-to-week basis, not by possessions and achievements, but by entertaining experiences and by meaningful interactions with others," The Leading Edge managing director Karen Phillips said.

i think this is generally true. we tend to love the company of friends or family and just being together i guess.

sure we are a rich country and people love their 'things' though i dont think thats what makes the majority of us happy.

......thankfully

oh and re guys and sex.....that must be true in all countries surely!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Well now I should move to OZ.
Female who enjoys..in order..
1.Internet
2.Sex
3.Chocolate

My, my , my..what fun times are ahead.

I'm eating chocolate right now.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by riley]

top topics