It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget black holes, could the LHC trigger a “Bose supernova”?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Forget black holes, could the LHC trigger a “Bose supernova”?

arxivblog.com

The worry this time is about Bose Einstein Condensates, lumps of matter so cold that their constituents occupy the lowest possible quantum state.

Nobody is exactly sure how these explosions proceed which is a tad worrying for the following reason: some clever clogs has pointed out that superfluid helium is a BEC and that the LHC is swimming in 700,000 litres of the stuff. Not only that but the entire thing is bathed in some of the most powerful magnetic fields on the planet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

[edit on 30-9-2008 by DisabledVet]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Black holes... BEC....Helium explosions....

Whatever happened to good old fashioned shooting your eye out?

arxivblog.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
If I understand the process and quantum reactions properly (there's a 78.2 percent probability I do NOT understand them correctly), any danger would be in the creation of the particles, and less so the potential reactions afterward. It's fascinating........... a new state of matter, as well as some atomic particles in more than one state..... absolutely amazing!

Imagine being able to slow down light itself to the point where photons could be studied and quantified. WOW!

I guess I don't understand at all how the superfluid helium could influence this.......... wait...... it was claimed that superfluid helium is a BEC??? That doesn't sound right, especially if there are 700,000 L. of the stuff. I would guess that the SF helium is not cold enough for one thing... and supermagents are required to both "trap" and "hold" BECs.

Okay, all of this is a tad out of my arena, but it's very interesting! The above was just my speculations, by the way....... I'll now go do the job I should've first, and see if I can back up any of my guesses

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
p.s. thanks for the thread.

I'm in that truly dangerous mode right now, where I"m pondering stuff.

Now, as to BECs thought to be able to slow down light..... what if it could be slowed to a crawl..... then a stop... and what if then, what..... reversed?

I wonder what anti-light looks like. I bet it's not darkness, I bet it's brighter than we could imagine, and transdimensional.

God phone home.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
It's possible although If it did happen they would likely only blow themselves up which would suit me just fine it would be a disaster but I couldn't see it being a danger to the planet more like a largish nuke.

Maybe that would be the best case I'd rather that then a black hole as cold as it sounds I would not have any sympathy for them.

Although my prediction is they will just come straight out and claim it's impossible like they have with the other things. And of course most people will jump on the bandwagon how many already think it's safe when it hasn't even collided anything.

CERN do not know just what will happen when the particles collide at the high ranges, anyway you look at it they are gambling.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
www.eurekalert.org...reply to post by DisabledVet

Dangit. I just did a post WITH links, and lost the whole thing to the threadhole. mmmmmffffT!!

Okay. daiseys, bluebirds.

It looks to me like it's pretty much how I thought.... in that the BCEs being refined are in the millions of atoms range. jilawww.colorado.edu... I'd consider that evidence -- but not proof -- that the SF helium is not a BCE, just superchilled helium.

It also looks like the explosion referenced on the article was a submicroscopic one. www.eurekalert.org... Still, it's certainly possible that a profound amount of the material could be fabricated..... I just don't think it pertains to the LHC.

Fascinating article, and by the way, all of my prattle is just my opinion, so if you happen to vaporize into a gooey ball of reverse-spin strangelet particles one sunny afternoon due to some LHC mishap, don't come crying to me

Good thread DV, thanks much friend. Good to lubricate the ganglia now and then.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Physicists slow down light

www.hno.harvard.edu...

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a super fluid and a bose einstein condensate are two different things. A super fluid is a few (insert generic small measurememt) degrees warmer than the BEC. Im not exactly sure what the problem is here. These BEC's we can make we cant really make a whole lot of. Is the problem here hyper expansion of a superfluid back into its gasious state or what?

anyways heres a really cool nova video on the subject

video.google.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

Nope. Nothing in the LHC is cold enough to create BECs.

So, no. Ain't gonna happen.

top topics

join