It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush to Make Statement on Financial Crisis in the Morning - Will He Use Executive Powers?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
No details yet just a ticker notification on news.bbc.co.uk...

Is the other shoe about to drop?
Is he going to use any kind of executive powers here?
Will he dare overrule the congress?

[edit on 9/29/2008 by Gools]

Title edited to change "Address the Nation" to "Make a Statement".

[edit on 9/29/2008 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
As a canuck I'm not sure is the pResident has the power to overrule congress.

Anyone?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Oh yes, the shoe is about to drop with a big bang!!!!!

Bush is not going to take this lying down. No way!!!!!

Get ready, people!!!!!

Thanks OP for this article!

[edit on 29-9-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Can anyone say Executive Order!? I was also wondering if they would suspend trading...

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I am sure that the Vice president has the power to over rule this particular mentally challenged president. Still I don't know... The 700 Billion dollar bill failed but he may yet pass it as an executive order. It is not an impossibility.
I just do not think it probable. In my mind I think Congress will hem and haw over it a bit more....But I would be willing to bet that the bill will pass before your PM gets his majority.

The whole NAU thing seems to ride on both that bill and Harpers majority.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
He couldnt rob us with a hold up, now it will be

his executive powers that allow him to rob us and keep us hostages.

Heres another thing. This may be the way it was planned so he could use ALL HIS EXCECUTIVE POWERS, KEEPING MONEY AND THE COUNTRY!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Ohh sweet jesus please tell me this is not happening!
If that S.O.B. declares martial law tomorrow morning I will be so pissed. I have alot of shopping to do tomorrow. I have a 10 o'clock pedicure and
a few odds and ends to get at Wal-mart.

What is the popular opinion on what this is all about?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbass
What is the popular opinion on what this is all about?

Nobody knows yet, this is fresh news.

The first thing that came to my mind was some kind of "emergency measure" like closing markets as was done for a few days in Russia last week (or was that the week before? - are they still closed?
).

By the way, tomorrow is also September 30... the end of the fiscal year.

It's crunch time.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
can anyone tell me how late that will be in GMT?

Thanks

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
in the morning??? I don't like the sound of this.

How many times do presidents address the nation in the morning?

Isn't it usually in the evening?

I understand he makes statements to the media at all different times of the day, but "addressing the nation"... this sounds a bit troublesome.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

Well he probably wants to see what other markets around the world do. However, he did address the nation early in the morning one day last week.

"Last week"... practically the good old days at this point.

[edit on 29/9/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cbass

My unit has not received any warning orders so I don't think he will declare martial law I think he would be remiss in his duty’s if he did not inform the military because we are a big part of martial law you need some one to enforce it. And you know his dumb behind can’t do it alone.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I'd imagine that his reasoning for addressing the nation in the morning is because it will have some kind of implication on the market. So he'd want to make his impact early on, either way, whatever time of day he speaks is never any good- for anyone.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm usually sleeping in the morning. I'm a big fat lazy butthole loser because I sleep in the morning. I guess that's why I never noticed.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Maybe it goes like this... President enters and comes to the podium...

My fellow Americans. Yesterday the United States congress failed to avert a major catastrophe in the markets at home and the ripple effect it would have on markets worldwide. It cannot be stressed enough, the importance of a secure and stable economy is, to both us here in America and elsewhere in the world. This decline must not be allowed to descend into an economic depression worse than anything ever seen, even surpassing the market crash of 1928. Therefore, the wellbeing and security of the nation being of such importance, I have made the decision to involk the following executive orders as defined and passed by the United States congress. Effective immediately, under executive order xxx123, I am suspending the stack exchanges of the nation. Effective immediately under executive order xxx456, I am suspending the US constitution and declaring a state of national emergency. Martial law is, as of this momment, in effect. The office of Homeland Security, in cooperation with FEMA, the FBI, and State and local authorities will coordinate and enforce the law. Detention centers have been ordered to be up and running. All violaters will be subject to military law. The law will be enforced. We will get through this hard time and come out better for it. I ask for your patience, your commitment, and your effort. Tankyou.

The President turns and walks away without answering questions.

Let's see if I'm right.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Can anyone say Executive Order!? I was also wondering if they would suspend trading...

Bush couldn't pass this by executive order, not legally anyway. The legislative branch controls the the budget. They create the spending bill and Bush can either sign it into law, let it pass into law after ten days without his signature or veto the bill. If he veto's it the Congress can over ride the veto with a 2/3rds majority vote to do so.

That's how it's supposed to work.

If he declares a national emergency or martial law, that's a whole nother story. All bets are off if he goes to those extremes.

That would be his best option though. Congress and the Senate are let off the hook, The thieves on Wall street get the money and Bush has nothing to lose, he's out of office in a few months regardless.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
JUST GOOGLE WORLD MARKETS...AUSTRALIA AND ASIA IS GOING DOWN FOR THE 2ND DAY....5% DROP IN AUSTRALIA AFTER 30 MINUTES...IT'S REAL BAD....

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The GMT time equates from 7:45 am to 1145 GMT. At least I think it will be a 7:45am, 7:00am is 1100 ZULU.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Benarius

Please don't use all caps in your post, there's no need to yell.

Besides, a picture is worth a thousand words:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
SORRY...WASN'T AWARE OF YELLING...thanks for putting up nice graphics...eeehhhmmm....how you do that ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join