It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stringing a Crossbow (solo method)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Stringing even a strong 180 pounder is doable solo.
Having a buddy to slip the string on the prod while you focus all your energies on bending it is a handy aide, but there might come a time when there isn't another around to help...

But half the battle, I find, is the technique and being innovative.
I briefly mention this in my crossbow thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But its in depth on other matters so here's it again briefly:

Using a towel to pad the stock I use my own bodyweight while gripping the pistol grip and having the technique of levering down one of the prods slowley but surely while your other hand has the string ready to slip on the other prod (which will be pointing vertical (if you have done it right).

But there might be easier ways than this also.
So feel free to add your own tips and tricks for stringing

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I do not know EXACTLY how it worked - but a mate of mine is big into archaic weapons - and he has some fearsome crossbows

and despite being a skinny beanpole - he can restring them solo

from whay i can remember he starts with a wire that will go on the prods with MINIMAL effort - then cocks the bow

and spips on a second wire

then releseses tension on the first - but NOT ny dry firing it as that would break the prods

then cocks the second wire

and hey presto - the correct lengh wire for use can now be fitted

realease ension again - and cock the ` service ` wire - and insert a quarrel - and FIRE

a BFO crossbow that is windlass cocked has just been restrung

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
I do not know EXACTLY how it worked - but a mate of mine is big into archaic weapons - and he has some fearsome crossbows

and despite being a skinny beanpole - he can restring them solo

from whay i can remember he starts with a wire that will go on the prods with MINIMAL effort - then cocks the bow

and spips on a second wire

then releseses tension on the first - but NOT ny dry firing it as that would break the prods

then cocks the second wire

and hey presto - the correct lengh wire for use can now be fitted

realease ension again - and cock the ` service ` wire - and insert a quarrel - and FIRE

a BFO crossbow that is windlass cocked has just been restrung

Interesting. I'd like to see a youtube video of this because, while I agree in principle, the preparation requiring different lengths etc seems overblown. Also I seem to be figuring in the fact that the initial wire would need to be cut off with a knife once the second string was notched and under tenstion.
A good tip though.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
What I have done to string my crossbow is I took a length of rope about 1.5 m in length. I tied a loop in each end. at this point I put a pad on the end of the stock and looped either ends of the bow with the rope. I put a small piece of 2x4 against the padded stock and put a stick or long slender object against the 2x4. the rope should be sitting looped around both ends of the bow with the middle of the rope over top of everything resting on the butt. by turning the stick or slender object the rope will tighten and draw the bow back. keep turning until you can slip the string onto the bow.

You will have to pardon my poor description but the gist of it is there. Applying torque to a rope while stabilizing the bow. the only difficult part is maintaining that stability and torque while you slip the string in place. Its doable with one person. But just like any other method two people would be much easier.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Some interesting techniques

I tried for about 4 days to string mine... telling myself, at each attempt, that i may have to do it on my own one day.

Eventually i gave up and purchased a stringer

I don’t consider myself a small bloke but WOW them things are strong.

When the string goes i shall try some of the techniques mentioned here... thanks

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

What you need is what the medieval crossbowmen called a 'bastard string'

Basically an over-length string or cable that fits onto the prod to get the tension part way, and making it easier to slip the string-proper onto the nocks whilst having only to exert that extra bit of force to bent the tips to slip the loops over the nock-ends, and then remove the bastard string...rather than having to take the entire 150lb strain AND fit the string all at the same time.

what may be a useful addition to the kit would be a racheted 'come-along' type tensioner that would distribute the loading evenly across the prod in order to string, whilst avoiding overstressing the fibreglass material its made from, so prolonging component life

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It is actually much easier.
All you need is a longer, "much longer bow string"
hook it to the limbs pull it back enough to put the proper length one on!
There is no need to pull it back or get anywhere evan close to the 180lb draw....just enough to overcome the static non-drawn position to install the right string...usually this is around 40-60 lb's

top topics

join