It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Clergy Rally Against Gay Marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
ATLANTA (AP) - More than two dozen black pastors added their voice to the critics of same-sex marriage, attempting to distance the civil rights struggle from the gay rights movement and defending marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

"When the homosexual compares himself to the black community, he doesn't know what suffering is," said the Rev. Clarence James, an African-American studies professor at Temple University.

Jones and 29 pastors rallied late Monday with their supporters at an Atlanta-area church where they signed a declaration outlining their beliefs on marriage and religion.

apnews.myway.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
ahhh, but you didn't tell us your take on the article!

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
LOL I thought it was already well known that I am far from a supporter of same sex marriages.

I think that if two adults want to be gay and llive together, it's all good. But I feel that marriage and adoption should be left to unions between a man and woman.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Sorry, I've been away for a few monts and don't recognise the avatar or name

I wonder if that will start a movement by the black communities. This'll be something to watch...

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Well, if nothing else, I think it will define the line between DEMOCRATS and LIBERALS.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kramtronix
Well, if nothing else, I think it will define the line between DEMOCRATS and LIBERALS.

What do you mean?

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Most liberals, who vote Democrat, are all for same sex marriage.

Most blacks, who are not always LIBERAL, but usually vote Democrat, are mostly against same sex marriage.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I find it ironic that, generally speaking, minorities vote for the party which wants to keep them as close to the bottom as is possible, and attack any of those minorities who vote republican or are successful.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well, the Democratic party moved mountains to help minorities in the 60's. However, this ain't 1964 anymore, so I don't know why minorities still largely vote Democrat.

How does the D party hold back minorities though?

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Personally, I think that affirmative action goes a long way to do this. Essensially, it says you're not good enough to participate in our country, so we'll give you a handicap in order to help you out.

Quotas do much the same thing, in that they cause much angst with employers since they are forced to hire a certain number of people with a certain skin color, and this causes resentment towards the people of that skin color, instead of against the people who passed the laws.

Those are just a couple of examples, and if Colonel comes to this thread, I'm gonna get an ear (eye?) full!

Edit:
I do think that affirmative action was needed in the 60s, but I think it's about time to start phasing it out. look at society today compared to that in the 60s, and you'll see we've come a long way.

[Edited on 3-23-2004 by junglejake]

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yeah, I guess I can see those points.

Affirmative action is garbage.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Yeah, because we all know how stable the typical union between a man and a woman is in this country...

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
Yeah, because we all know how stable the typical union between a man and a woman is in this country...

huh?

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I was speaking of the whole big deal being made about gay marriages...

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Good thing Americans weren't so narrow minded in the 60's or these leaders would be living in a very different world today.

JD

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
What if your black and gay?

Or even worse, black, gay, and female?

Talk about triple discrimination

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

"When the homosexual compares himself to the black community, he doesn't know what suffering is," said the Rev. Clarence James, an African-American studies professor at Temple University.

Yeah like when Hitler put all those blacks in the camps and gassed them......OH wait that was the gays wasnt it?

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hahahahaha, good call Amuk

The funny thing is, is that the people in the Nazi camps all had to wear different designators.

Take a look near the bottom for the homosexual patch.

Nazi Patches

Look familiar?

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Hahahahaha, good call Amuk

The funny thing is, is that the people in the Nazi camps all had to wear different designators.

Take a look near the bottom for the homosexual patch.

Nazi Patches

Look familiar?

Isnt that the teletubby thing?

Fawell would have been proud.....LOL

top topics

join