It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Letterman Reacts to John McCain Suspending Campaign

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
John McCain was meant to be a guest on the Letterman show tonight, however, he called up at the last minute to cancel using the excuse that he had to fly to washington to fix the economic crisis, howver, Dave caught the liar out.

Just watch...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Thank you for posting. I love Dave!

I loved the late-night cam. They discontinued that some time ago, I was just a young plucky.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

I think the lesson here is: don't piss off or stand up David Letterman.

"You need a ride to the airport?"

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

The gripe of Chris Rock was that Bill Clinton would not mention Obama.

So, after the President's Address to the Nation tonight, right after, on Larry King, Bill touted reform in the housing market that Hillary wanted to pass last year. Funny.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
McCain = FAIL

What pissed off Dave, and rightfully so, is that McCain LIED to Dave about his reason for not being on the show. He said he had to rush off to Washington. But in truth, he's actually planning on doing an interview with Couric.

Letterman is top notch and well respected - to disprespect the man by cancelling the show and then lying about the reason is an EPIC FAIL.

My point is McCain should have been honest, but alas, his true colors are shown. He's on his "crusade to save the economy" and really he's just sitting down and having an interview with Couric, and lying about it.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Con. Barney Frank:

“Now that we are on the verge of making a deal, John McCain airdrops himself in to help us make a deal,” said Representative Barney Frank, of Massachusetts and chairman of the House Financial Services Committee. “Frankly, we are going to have to interrupt a negotiating session tomorrow between Democrats and Republicans on a bill where I think we are getting pretty close to troop down to the White House for a photo op.”

source

hi hi, that sounds about right.
what is mccain thinking?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Thank you for the link. I watched part of it live. But I think I was in some sort of void.

Classic Dave.

The economy is going to crater. Sigh. With or without a 700 bill bailout.

You don't dis the L man.

And he was obviously taking it easy on him. I wish he would have really let it rip.

To quote McCain by a reporter "it's all spin". Yep, my head is spinning now.

[edit on 9/25/2008 by jpm1602]

[edit on 9/25/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Great Letterman Video.

We can't watch any Letterman or Leno shows in Europe because the internet streams are only for the US

McCain is Palin's running man.

Now that was funny

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I loved it when Dave said that if McCain hadn't taken the last 2 years off, to run for president, maybe we wouldn't be in this crisis...too funny!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Gee, I wonder who Letterman is voting for?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I wish I could say I was surprised that McCain would pull a slimeball stunt like this. Sadly I'm not. What exactly is HE going to do in Washington to 'save the economy'? What a joke. Paging Karl Rove... paging Karl Rove.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
That was great. Letterman is pretty classy. He should have torn into McCain more, but he restrained himself.

jtma508, "Stunt" is exactly the right word. Not the first or last of the McCain stunts, I'm sure.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
What's worse than lying to get out of something?

Lying when you don't "have to".

All McCain had to do was tell Letterman that he was going to do an interview with Couric instead because of the importance of the subject matter or to reach more of an audience. People have canceled on Letterman before. But McCain lied about it when he didn't "have to"... If he lies so easily to cover his butt, how do we know when he's telling the truth? What is he willing to lie about?

:shk:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Small things like this shows the real value of a mans word.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Geeze could this be the reason for the demise of the USA,people listening to comedians for their political information,might as well listen to other celebritys as well,who cares what a comedian says,his whole purpose in life is to get laughs,and acting like a scorned little girl is not funny kind of pathetic I think

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Yes but with MSM and most politicians being controlled by corporations, people like Jon Stewart, Colbert and Letterman are the only ones speaking the truth and holding people accountable for what they say.

Accountability is the word of the day.

edit for spelling mainly

[edit on 25-9-2008 by TheInformer]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Letterman is a great comedian and businessman and I've admired him for years, especially since I've been haunted by our likeness since his rise to stardom.

However, his interjection of his politics into his show has not been to his benefit and his raising hell over a show cancellation because Senator McCain has put his job as senator above show business and his campaign is both silly and selfish.

If Dave was the trouper he claims to be, then he could have respected Senator McCain's cancellation and his reasons therefor and gone on without a whimper.

Instead, we get an embittered, pedantic, political diatribe.

We love you, Dave, but it's time to retire.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Dunno, it's a pretty mild reaction, with a lot of general praise for McCain, just some criticism of his campaign tactics.

Calling someone a "genuine hero" is not exactly an epic trash-talking

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Letterman knows that a scathing attack against McCain or Obama would alienate half his audience.

Prefacing his attack on McCain with all that praise was just apple-polish and he didn't spare Palin one bit.

Letterman is entitled to his opinions, but his wearing his feelings on his sleeve and acting like McCain blew off his scheduled appearance on the show for a pair of free tickets to "Mama Mia" doesn't show much class.

In fact, it was a cheap shot.

[edit on 2008/9/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I think what brought on his reaction was his claim that McCain had called him to say he had to rush to the airport and get back to Washington, then within 30 minutes he was appearing on another set getting ready for an interview. It would seem that McCain wasn't 100% honest with his reasons for not turning up.

And as Letterman said, in such circumstances he could normally expect the VP candidate to show up in the main candidates stead...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join