It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serapis - a genetically engineered Hybrid?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

admit it

you just got pawned

now come on and tell the truth, we know you think von daeniken is a historian!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus

admit it

you just got pawned

now come on and tell the truth, we know you think von daeniken is a historian!

Fett,

I'm sure you're just teasing here, right?

I mean, even an a-hole like me wouldn't suggest that Sky would be that mistaken!

Harte

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Thanks for bumping this thread. Keep it coming

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

A Serapeum is an ancient Egyptian temple dedicated to the Egyptian god Serapis who combined aspects of Osiris and Apis in humanized form. The word “Serapis” is a mixture of the words Osiris and Apis.
Combining animals together for a cheap imitation? Building expensive tombs to hold them? Combining Gods together to make one? Serapis? That's a lot of trouble to go to, especially the digging of those tunnels.
Suppose the originals were robbed because they held treasure, but why take the bull mummies? Seems most tombs were robbed and they left the poor mummies without their decorations and broke some arms... How many mummies do they find smashed into bits?

The Apis bull is unique as he is the only Egyptian deity represented solely as an animal, and never as a human with an animal's head—perhaps, because from the earliest of Egyptian religious practices, they were animals sacrificed to the cow goddess and represented the resurrected, renewal of life (Hapy and later Osiris).
WIKI
So why treat the Apis bull so much differently than other Gods?

[edit on 1-10-2008 by seagrass]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

The bovines in the region in which Ptah was worshipped exhibited white patterning on their mainly black bodies, and so a belief grew up that the Apis bull had to have a certain set of markings suitable to its role. It was required to have a white triangle upon its forehead, a white vulture wing outline on its back, a scarab mark under its tongue, a white crescent moon shape on its right flank, and double hairs on its tail.

The bull which matched these markings was selected from the herd, brought to a temple, given a harem of cows, and worshipped as an aspect of Ptah. His mother was believed to have been conceived by a flash of lightning from the heavens, or from moonbeams, and also was treated specially. At the temple, Apis was used as an oracle, his movements being interpreted as prophecies. His breath was believed to cure disease, and his presence to bless those around with virility. He was given a window in the temple through which he could be seen, and on certain holidays was led through the streets of the city, bedecked with jewelry and flowers.
Why so many symbols and markings? Did Ptah's original look this way? Why so many magical qualities of a cow such as this and not "regular" cows. Concieved by lightning as opposed to the regular way?

The Apis was a god to be venerated for his excellent kindness and for his mercy towards all strangers. Apis was the most popular of the three great bull cults of ancient Egypt (the others being the bulls Mnewer and Bakha.) Unlike the cults of most of the other Egyptian deities, the worship of the Apis bull was continued by the Greeks and after them by the Romans, and lasted until almost 400 A.D. [edit]
Three bull cults. Mnewer and Bakha... why did they need three different cults, and why would the Greeks and Romans continue to worship the Apis(Mithraism) as opposed to the others?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Combining animals together for a cheap imitation? Building expensive tombs to hold them? Combining Gods together to make one? Serapis? That's a lot of trouble to go to, especially the digging of those tunnels.
Suppose the originals were robbed because they held treasure, but why take the bull mummies? Seems most tombs were robbed and they left the poor mummies without their decorations and broke some arms... How many mummies do they find smashed into bits?

The pseudoskeptics here would have us believe they went through all this trouble for nothing.

Thanks for posting. Its much more brain required to ask difficult questions than to post "debunks".

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I've tried to imagine the worth of a bull mummy, and I don't see how a sneaky tourist or graverobber would get that home, nor his wife allow him to have that in the house.

The ancients believed that the powerful bull represented the personality of the king; slate palettes dating back as far as 3100 BC even show kings as bulls.

This animal was chosen because it symbolized the king’s courageous heart, great strength, virility, and fighting spirit. Bulls’ horns even embellish some of the tombs of courtiers who served the first Saqqara kings.
Kings as bulls or bulls as kings? Bulls as gods it would seem.
Desirable qualities to assume into a person. To emulate.
WORD OF THE DAY~Anthromorphed

During the early dynastic period animal gods were gradually anthropomorphed, being portrayed with animal or bird heads on human bodies. Over the course of time these animal deities appeared many different ways, including in full animal form, animal heads with human bodies, and completely human.

The Apis bull cult is probably the best known of the three most prominent and divine bull cults, and it is considered to be the most sacred. Herodotus wrote that the Apis was the "calf of a cow which is never afterwards able to have another. The Egyptian belief is that a flash of lightning descends upon the cow from heaven, and this causes her to receive Apis."
I don't think I would have another after that either. Did the lightning kill the "womb" or do devine births have exclusivity?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

But according to Herodotus, this religious belief was desecrated in 525 BC by Persian King Cambyses when he overtook the holy city of Memphis. Herodotus states that the day after Cambyses’s bloody battle, he awoke to discover the Egyptians in Memphis celebrating. Upon asking why a defeated people would rejoice after being so brutally beaten, he was told that a living god had just been born. Cambyses demanded that this god be brought before him, and when he was presented with the Apis calf, he laughed with disgust and called the Egyptians pagans and fools. He then stabbed the calf in its hindquarters, which eventually caused the calf to die, at which point Cambyses had it cooked and served at a banquet. Horrified Egyptians considered this blasphemy to be the reason for all of Egypt’s future tragedies.

Herodotus’s account differs greatly from Egyptian records, which appear to take an opposing view. These records state that between 525 and 522 BC, Cambyses partook in a religious ceremony in which he dedicated the sarcophagus of a mummified Apis bull as part of his pharaonic obligations.
So did he desecrate all the bull mummies too? Perhaps he killed the calf and then ate it and told others the story that he had partaken in ceremonied by eating it. What mummy did he dedicate? the one that lived before the calf was born? They kill the old Apis bull once a new one is born.

When Egypt fell under the rule of the Ptolemies, a new god was created by Ptolemy I in an effort to unify Greeks and Egyptians by establishing a deity that would be familiar to both Divine Cults of the Sacred Bulls cultures. The new god was named Serapis, which combined components of the Greek gods Zeus, Asklepios, and Dionysys as well as the Egyptian deity Osiris and the sacred Apis bull cult. Although the god had a Greek appearance, it also had some of the features of an Apis bull as well as an Egyptian name. Serapis was declared a god of fertility and the underworld, but even though Egyptians tolerated this new deity, they never truly accepted it. On the other hand, because Greek leadership supported the new Serapis cult, many Greeks did accept and follow it, but the artificially created cult never achieved its goal of religious unity between Greeks and Egyptians.
Taking from one religion and absorbing it into your own is not unlike what the Vatican did. They took Mithraism and Serpent worship and many other "symbols" as their own. Every time the gods and religions get "diluted" it becomes less powerful, less believable, and something to argue. source

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

What is conveniently ignored is that the Bulls found come from a much later period than the period in which temples such as the Serapeum of Saqqara were built. The bulls in Alexandria for example are dated to have been buried around Roman times (A.C.),

Perhaps the Romans brought them and buried them to appease the masses. The Romans certainly liked the idea of bull sacrifice and veneration as they adopted Mithraic cults up until Christianity took it's place.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Howdy Hanslune. Long time no jab.

You asked about the SUN in Myth... Well as it seems the Sumerians were not confused about it being a star as opposed to a god, since that is what you are implying and trying to get our dear Sky to admit.

Now, mainstream historians refuse to analyze this information for what it is. This is the case because this data is so unbelievable… and it’s so unbelievable because the paradigm upon which they base their interpretation of this data is so erroneous. This stuff just wont fit into the pattern that they have set for this period of our history.

Nevertheless, the data exists in spite of their disbelief. It is a fact that the early Sumerians knew of the solar system. They knew that the solar system was made up of the Sun –a sphere- (Apsu) at its center and was circled by spherical celestial bodies. They knew of Mercury (Mummu), Venus (Lahamu), Earth (Ki), the Moon (Kingu), Mars (Lahmu), Jupiter (Kishar), Saturn (Anshar), Uranus (Anu), Neptune (Ea), Pluto (Gaga) and a mysterious celestial body known as Marduk or Nibiru. The Sumerians assigned to these celestial bodies (as is the case to this day) the names of some of the very gods who had imparted to them this celestial knowledge. They knew and understood that these celestial orbs were not those gods. They were in no way confused. Nor did they believe that the stars in the night sky were deities. Depictions of the solar system as they understood it have been found in various works of art from that period. It should be impossible to view these depictions and not see them for what they obviously are. If one goes by the current paradigm, one can see quite clearly that this knowledge would be impossible.
link

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Thanks dawg.

Here´s a summary of the opening-post for those too lazy to read it:

Mummified beings that were a cross or mix of various animals have indeed been found by Egyptology, thereby confirming ancient historian accounts of hybrid-beings and ancient genetic engineering.

I LOVE your summaries!!!!

But in all honesty, your threads are fascinating, this on is no exception...

I wonder where they got their technology from?

Man goes from clubs and spears, to genetic engineering overnight?

(Overnight is not meant to be taken literally
)

Star and flag from me

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

You´re a damn alien so you should know the answer to that question

Anyway, back in the day, there were three classes of society (according to the historians): Mere mortals, half-gods and "Gods". The ones who had the technology called themself "Gods". After awhile they left and took their technology with them (imo).

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Yes. Thats a possibility. The Romans brought them in and they have nothing to do with the original ones...which seem to have been stolen.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

I wonder where they got their technology from?

Thats a question the experts wont touch. Because then they would have to look at Manetho's writings (all of them) as fact.

Every aspect of Egyptian knowledge seems to have been complete at the very beginning. The sciences, artistic and architectural techniques and the hieroglyphic system show virtually no signs of a period of 'development'; indeed, many of the achievements of the earliest dynasties were never surpassed or even equalled later on. This astonishing fact is readily admitted by orthodox Egyptologists, but the magnitude of the mystery it poses is skillfully understated, while its many implications go unmentioned.2

Another primary source for Egyptian history, Manetho's History of Egypt, was written in the third century b.c. Manetho, the high priest of Heliopolis at that time, wrote History of Egypt in order to preserve the fast-disappearing Egyptian traditions and culture. Later commentators tell us that it had been divided into three volumes: I. The Gods, II. The Demigods, and III. The Spirits of the Dead and the Mortal Kings. Though the third volume has been used by Egyptologists as the standard reference for the 31 dynasties of Egypt, for some reason the first two volumes have been relegated to the realm of myth and legend.

Manetho was from Heliopolis, a city very much dedicated to astronomy. Egypt's NASA.

Dwelling in Heliopolis, the oldest organized religious center in Egypt (possibly the world), the Followers of Horus sought the answers to eternal life in the stars. Their chief concern was recording the passage of time through intense and regular observation of the sun, moon, stars and planets and their movements through the heavens. This was typical of all ancient religion, but what was most intriguing about their astronomy was that the Heliopolitan priesthood understood the concept of precession, the "Great Year" of 25,920 years. (Click here for a detailed explanation of Precession.) Previously thought to be discovered by the Greeks, new evidence points to the fact that the Egyptians were fully aware of Precession and all of its ramifications for the apparent motion of the stars relative to earth.
source

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
source

King Amenophis of Egypt, when he heard of their invasion, was perplexed remembering what Amenophis, the son of Papis, had foretold him. He gathered many Egyptians, and deliberated with their leaders, and sent for their sacred animals, above all those worshipped in the temples, and ordered the priests to hide the images of their gods with the utmost care. He also sent his son Sethos, who was also called Ramses, and only five years old, from his father Rhampses to a friend of his. He continued with three hundred thousand of the most warlike Egyptians against the enemy, who met them. But he did not join battle with them, afraid to be fighting against the gods. He turned back and returned to Memphis, where he took Apis and the other sacred animals which he had sent for, and continued to Kush, together with his whole army and masses of Egyptians.
Lots of things are hidden in times of war, or destroyed. Including evidence.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The Egyptians kept King's Lists just like the Mesopotamian/ Sumerians did. Berossus was a contemporary of Manethos and also a historian.

The List of Berossus (ca. 747 B.C.) Berossus, the Hellenized Chaldean philosopher/astrologer, proposes in his Babyloniaca (in the first section of Book II) a second list of antediluvian kings who reigned after the appearance of Oannes, this time including ten sovereigns, four cities and 120 periods of reign (the two following sections of his Book II are devoted to a description of the Flood and to the post-diluvian kings). Berossus borrowed his narrative from the archives of Babylonia-Borsippa, and these archives themselves, with regard to the Creation and the first ages of the world, copied revelations ostensibly inscribed on tablets by Oannes, the first fish-man and "the inventor of letters, sciences and arts, the founder of laws, cities and all civilization. " (Joseph Bidez, "Les écoles chaldéennes sous Alexandre et les Séleucides," in Mélanges Capart, Brussels, 1935, p. 50).
Oannes was a Fish-man. Clothed to resemble a fish. Emerged from the sea. ( I am sure he wore a miter hat.)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
harte, my old adversary,
i see you are still mindlessly dismissing others ideas,
you still havent learned to just stand back if you dont agree,
the poster of this thread obviously wants positive influence and not negative,
youve said your part, now let this thread either flourish with creativity or drown in emptyness,

anyway, i have indeed returned, if you want to invoke more of your unwanted attention, please go back to one of my old threads and re-spark our little 'debate'

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Stolen? Maybe destroyed by Christians.

ishop Theophilus of Alexandria was Nicene patriarch when the decrees of emperor Theodosius I forbade public observances of any but Christian rites. Theodosius I had progressively made the sacred feasts into workdays (AD 389), had forbidden public sacrifices, closed temples, and colluded in frequent acts of local violence by Christians against major cult sites. The decree that went out in AD 391, that "no one is to go to the sanctuaries, walk through the temples," resulted in many temples throughout the Empire that could be declared "abandoned" and the universal practice immediately began of occupying these sacred sites with Christian churches. In Alexandria, Bishop Theophilus obtained legal authority over one such an abandoned temple, to turn it into a church. He stripped it of its pagan images and arcana and publicly displayed them in his new church in such an offensive manner that a mob of pagan Alexandrians fell upon the Christians. The Christians retaliated, while Theophilus withdrew, and the pagans retreated into the Serapeum, still the most imposing of the city's remaining sanctuaries, and proceeded to barricade it. A letter was sent by Theodosius that Theophilus should grant the offending pagans pardon — but destroy the temple. A marginal illustration on papyrus from a world chronicle written in Alexandria in the early 5th century shows the triumphant Theophilus (illustration, left); the cult image of Serapis, crowned with the modius, is visible within the temple at the bottom.
source.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

Oh, I like you.
Welcome home.

The Sumerians have legends of retaliation of gods by the "bull of heaven".

[edit on 2-10-2008 by seagrass]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmmonSeth
harte, my old adversary,
i see you are still mindlessly dismissing others ideas,
you still havent learned to just stand back if you dont agree,
the poster of this thread obviously wants positive influence and not negative,

Last I checked, this was an open forum. What the O.P. "wants" is not pertinant to the idea of open discussion, wouldn't you say?

I must be doing something right if I'm making the "woo-woo believers" squeal like this.

Originally posted by AmmonSethyouve said your part, now let this thread either flourish with creativity or drown in emptyness

The subject of the thread betrays the lack of creativity on the part of the O.P.

Originally posted by AmmonSethanyway, i have indeed returned, if you want to invoke more of your unwanted attention, please go back to one of my old threads and re-spark our little 'debate'

More squealing?

Post a new one - preferably one not so easily dismissed as this one about Egyptian "genetic engineering" by unknown, and non-evidenced, alien meddlers.

Harte

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join