It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police arrest UK woman for "offensive" child's toy in window

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Ok, so you actually think beauty pageants ARE good for little girls...???

I actually don't think i really want to get into this.
it's completely off topic and i have a feeling that i shouldn't really be getting "into it" with you.

thanks for your wonderfully open and accepting views.

:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Give up dude, this was the 2nd spot down on a Google search:

Tesco has been forced to remove a pole-dancing kit from the toys and games section of its website after it was accused of "destroying children's innocence".

The Tesco Direct site advertises the kit with the words, "Unleash the sex kitten inside...simply extend the Peekaboo pole inside the tube, slip on the sexy tunes and away you go!

"Soon you'll be flaunting it to the world and earning a fortune in Peekaboo Dance Dollars".

The £49.97 kit comprises a chrome pole extendible to 8ft 6ins, a 'sexy dance garter' and a DVD demonstrating suggestive dance moves.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

it's completely off topic and i have a feeling that i shouldn't really be getting "into it" with you.

You're right, you shouldn't have...

You just got owned above.

And no... beauty pageants don't teach young girls to be strippers.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

thanks for your wonderfully open and accepting views.

Look! You caught on to the concept of sarcasm!!! I'm proud of you!!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I got owned...

Yeah....and you're how old?

You also mislead with the haloween costume thing... you said stripper haloween costume..... NO SUCH THING

You wonder in to a post aimlessly....attack a country...not the topic, or even a poster but a COUNTRY???
You have nothing to say on the topic but clearly have issues with a country...?

I pull you up on this and your comeback is "beauty pageants are not bad for little girls."

I didn't want to get into it because i could already see how deluded you were... arguing with you will get either of us nowhere..

Well done
:

[edit on 25/9/08 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
And no... beauty pageants don't teach young girls to be strippers.

Beauty pageants are probably the sickest thing going.... seriously, you don't see them as bad?

Drowned in a layer of make up lies and sick age inappropriate outfits, it's a disturbing world where little girls can behave like sexy adult women and no one notices how wrong it is.

You my friend, are truly beyond my concern.

WTG for derailing the thread and showing how ignorant and xenophobic you actually are!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Ignorant to what?? Your OPINION?

I'll admit, I don't have a clue what passes through your brain.

And you claimed you couldn't find anything about the stripper outfit toy, I showed you the story. It was the second from the top on a Google search.

You make the feeble attempt to align a toy that teaches a little girl to be a STRIPPER and a beauty pageant.

That's ridiculous at best, absurd tripe at worst.

How about you explain to me how a beauty pageant is similar to buying a toy for your child to entice young boys to drop play money in her garter belt, complete with a DVD to teach the daughter seductive dancing techniques.

Go ahead, explain how the two are similar.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

"And you claimed you couldn't find anything about the stripper outfit toy, I showed you the story. It was the second from the top on a Google search."

No, you said haloween costume... had you've been honest and actually accurate, i may have known what you are talking about.

"You make the feeble attempt to align a toy that teaches a little girl to be a STRIPPER and a beauty pageant."

Being in beauty pageants is worse than any message this toy could deliver

That's ridiculous at best, absurd tripe at worst.

As is your entire motive for even posting in a thread that you have no idea about... we were talking about Golliwoggs and racism, until you came and ignorantly(oh, so thats where the ignorant comes into it) started bashing the UK for something completely OFF TOPIC

How about you explain to me how a beauty pageant is similar to buying a toy for your child to entice young boys to drop play money in her garter belt, complete with a DVD to teach the daughter seductive dancing techniques.

A beauty Pageant is worse. It instills degrading values and morals into young and naive CHILDREN about looking sexy and showing of what they have. It is filled with pushy "moms" who should know better, making their kids do things they probably don't want to do and putting them in outfits that they certainly should not be wearing.

If i even have to explain any of this to you, then as i said...i am wasting my time.

Thanks, Blup.

"Deny Ignorance"

Edit to add: As this toy was removed from shelves after the controversy and beauty pageants are still happening all the time in the USA, i would say that without a doubt, beauty pageants are far worse.

[edit on 25/9/08 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Wow, these threads keep a jumping!....I have my concerns re pageants too - there is so much pressure on children to grow up. I vaguely remember the pressures myself, but nothing compared to the stuff going on today.

I remember one of mates been completely horrified when her 8 year old came up to her as she wanted to wear thongs as they looked sexy!...Even though her daughter is 16 now - think she is still in a state of shock!

As for pole - can I just say not all pole dancing is stripping. Of course it can be very seedy, but there are people who perform and practically do gymnastics on the thing. Its brilliant - well the tricks aspects. Its really hard work - for those who do do perfomances

Here are two of my fav vids - hopefully you appreciate what I am saying, but understand the issues surrounding it as it did get a bit of a bad rep. As for politically correctness - its referred to as vertical dancer - think the idea is to move it away from the seedy side and to see the performers as artists...this also includes men by the way!!!....

Elena Gibson - www.youtube.com...

Miss Pole Dance Australia 2006 - www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Ooops there that poor spelling again - meant to say pole dancing is referred to as Vertical Dancing

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I personally wouldn't mind or care if someone owned a Golliwog doll, but I still think that people who have them should be sensitive about it.

It's not always about people being politically correct, you know. Sometimes people are actually offended by Golliwog dolls for good reasons! Has anyone stopped to think about those people who were abused and called derogative names like golliwog or wog?? That actually happened. To some people these aren't just dolls. They symbolise/d racism; that can't be ignored. The name golliwog and other variations, were used as derogative names to a lot of people and they are also a reminder of times when these people were racially abused and hardly anyone gave a damn.

Yes there a people who have great memories of these dolls that were apart of their childhood, and that's great, I honestly believe it really is. But there are also people who don't have great memories of these dolls, and we can't just forget about them because of the people who do have great memories, do you see what I mean? There really needs to be balance.

And when is it ever a good thing to forget the past? I've read that some peoples opinions, are that things like this happened in the past and we should just forget about. I don't think that's very wise though. We should never forget the past. We can't just ignore what happened. We need to remember what happened so we can learn from it

As I said before, I don't mind or care (not that it matters lol) if someone owns one, I have no qualms about that. If anyone wants to own one, then I could care less. But to say that these are just dolls and nothing more, well I couldn't agree. There is so much history and hurt associated with these dolls, I just can't understand why people can't be a little more sensitive. I don't believe Golliwogs should be banned or people who own them be made out to be racists - because it's not true - but I just believe that people should sensitive about it.

Just keep in mind that some people actually have good reasons for finding Golliwog dolls offensive

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
This is wrong. Next, they ban C-3PO dolls for being insulting to robotica. Then, they ban Windows for being insulting to the intellect. Then, they ban Microsoft for.... wait, maybe SOME good can still come from this...

[edit on 27-9-2008 by J.Smit]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by candyfloss

" Have you only just noticed or does your pseudonym reveal alot more about yourself then you want us to know?Golly is on trial right now for crimes against political correctness and it's right to exist at all. "

Have I only just noticed what, exactly?

That the planet is going bonkers?

You do realize that this is a trap, right? a B.S. policy is created and shoved down peoples throats, and the only reason the people go along with it, is to avoid being persecuted, then prosecuted.

It boggles the mind, the things that are dredged up to cause mayhem and discord amongst the people is amazing.

P.C. is mind poison, and should be rejected as often as needed. The trouble is, that doesn't leave much time for anything else!

And how do you think I feel about GOLLI?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkly_Eyed777

"" It's not always about people being politically correct, you know. Sometimes people are actually offended by Golliwog dolls for good reasons! Has anyone stopped to think about those people who were abused and called derogative names like golliwog or wog?? That actually happened. ""

SO WHAT?!?!?!?!??!

Whatever happened to that childrens rhyme;

" Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me"

WHAT HAPPENED to that concept?

Who TOSSED it out and replaced it with garbage?

I know the answer to that, do you?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by toasted

I think you should read my post a few entries back about blackberrying to see radism is alive and well.Without political correctness things would'nt change for the better for people who are discriminated against.It's how it's put into practice that's the issue here.The police were only carrying out the law and had to respond to a neighbours complaint.We probably don't know all the background info and I'm sure theres more to this than meets the eye.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by toasted

Originally posted by toasted
reply to post by Sparkly_Eyed777

"" It's not always about people being politically correct, you know. Sometimes people are actually offended by Golliwog dolls for good reasons! Has anyone stopped to think about those people who were abused and called derogative names like golliwog or wog?? That actually happened. ""

SO WHAT?!?!?!?!??!

Whatever happened to that childrens rhyme;

" Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me"

WHAT HAPPENED to that concept?

Who TOSSED it out and replaced it with garbage?

I know the answer to that, do you?

Are you saying you don't care that people were abused and called names? Is that how you really want the world to be? Where we have no respect for other people and what they've gone through, but instead just tell em to get over it?

Ok so the world is a tough place. And being called names may seem trivial compared to more serious crimes. But if that's the attitude that we're going to have, we're never going to achieve world peace. Which I was under the impression a lot of people wanted.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Took this shot tonight while xmas shopping in the Gateshead metrocenter here in the Uk. I can't say I'm totally shocked to find stuff like this for sale...but do we really need stuff like this in this day and age? Hardly promotes racial harmony i my oppinion.

Apologies to those it may offend.

Wayne...

[edit on 8/12/2008 by the secret web]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by the secret web
Took this shot tonight while xmas shopping in the Gateshead metrocenter here in the Uk. I can't say I'm totally shocked to find stuff like this for sale...but do we really need stuff like this in this day and age? Hardly promotes racial harmony i my oppinion.

He is actually quite cute. Looks just like the happy little character he was based on. But I guess some can see "evil" everywhere.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by the secret web

I'm with Sonya on this one. Looks like a cute and cuddly doll. It's only a racist statement if you want it to be.

Most frustrating thing for me is that the self appointed racist police just don't get how they unwittingly perpetuate the very thing they hope to eradicate. sigh.

* BTW dude, I find your avatar much more offensive than the Golly

[edit on 9/12/08 by RogerT]

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join