It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Hamas Founder Sheikh Ahmed Yassin Assassinated

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
bolshevik, i agree with you entirely!!

however two problems come to mind.

1) yes if there was a ceasefire Israel should stop operations, however the ceasefires are negotiated by Israel and the PA and hamas is not in the habit of following the PA.

2) yes negotiation is the ONLY way to stop this bull#. however, every time negotiations seem to be going somewhere members of Hamas et al do everything in their power to derail it.

The problem isn't the Palestinians or the Israelis, the problem is the groups of lunatics who have shown - through their actions and their timing - that they have NO interest in peace whatsoever. (for evidence of this, research terrorist attack dates recently which "coincide" with meetings between Sharon and Quriea every damn time. It's a small group of maniacs, but their mission is accomplished every time the meetings get called off. Sadly, the citizens of Israel and the Palestinians suffer needlessly because of this.

yes, youre right. but its not just hamas who arent commited to finding a solution to the problem. sharon has based his political legitimacy on his hardline actions against terrorists - indeed polls have suggeted that that is the only reason the israeli people are willing to put up with his corruption. so im not entirely convinced that a peaceful resolution would suit sharon's interests.

another problem is that when it comes to negotiation, the plans are universally offered and debated by the west, and more specifically america, so i can understand why hamas would be suspicious of the motives of the peace talks. i mean, would israel seriously consider a resolution initiated by iran?

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
DJ, I agree. They don't want peace; they want 'death to Israel.' How can there be negotiations? And, if you think Israel is heavy-handed because of it's military capabilities, then what do you think would happen if Hamas had the same capabilities - they really would bring death to Israel. Groups like Hamas are terrorists organizations and Yassin was a legit target and they shouldn't be negotiated with, otherwise they will keep terrorizing. The Palestinians need leadership that doesn't support Hamas and the other groups. Arafat is no such leader.

Once that is in place negotiations and real peace can be obtained.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Groups like Hamas are created by oppressive powers working degrading on ordinary people. This systematic degradation must come to an halt for change to happen. This for sure means NOT killing there symbols and leaders! Even doe I see Yassin was a very bad factor for the region too, he still was an important symbol of resistance and pride to the Palestinans. The erradication of Hamas leaders now or any to come will make no positive change in the region. It will only fuel the minds with hate, of the few that still had hope for a road to peace. Saying that Hamas followers are purely terrorists is also wrong. As then 1/5 of the Palestinian people would be terrorists. Taking away the hopelessness of their lives especially for young generation would be a start.

Please don't get me wrong I DO condemn all act's of violence and terror, palestinian and Israeli.

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Hoaks]

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Hoaks]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
In case someone questions why Israel took this freak out here is a list from an Israeli news agency of the attacks they can verify came from his group.

Since the beginning of the Oslo War in September 2000, Hamas has perpetrated 425 terrorist attacks of various kinds, in which 377 Israelis were murdered and 2,076 civilians and soldiers were wounded according to IDF statistics. During the Oslo War, Hamas has perpetrated 52 suicide attacks, in which 288 Israelis were murdered and 1,646 were wounded.

Among the more infamous Hamas suicide bombings and terrorist attacks were:

June 1, 2001 � A suicide bomber detonated an explosive device at 11:30pm in the Dolphinarium discotheque killing 21 and wounding over 120.

August 9, 2001 � At 13:45, a suicide bomber blew himself up in the Sbarro Restaurant at the intersection of Jaffe and King George Streets in Jerusalem, killing 15 and wounding 132.

December 1, 2001 � Triple Bombing attack � 23:30 - Two suicide bombers on Luntz Street on Jerusalem's Ben-Yehuda Mall detonated bombs followed by car bomb on Rabbi Kook Street 15 minutes later. 11 dead and 180 wounded.

December 2, 2001 - 12:00 - Egged bus No.16 was targeted by a suicide bomber at intersection of Yad L'Banim and HaGiborim in Haifa's Halissa neighborhood. 15 dead, 45 wounded.

March 9, 2002 - 22:30 � A suicide bombing attack in Jerusalem's in Moment Caf�. 11 dead & 54 wounded.

March 27, 2002 - 19:15 � A suicide bomber in the Park Hotel in Netanya during the Passover Seder meal. 29 killed & over 130 wounded.

June 18, 2002 � 07:55 � A suicide bomber � Number 32A bus at Patt Junction near Gilo, Jerusalem. 18 murdered and over 50 wounded.

August 4, 2002 � 08:40- A Hamas suicide bomber detonated an explosive device on board a No. 361 bus at Meiron Junction. Nine persons were murdered and 53 injured.

March 5, 2003 � 14:20 � Suicide bombing attack on Moriah Blvd in Haifa on a No. 37 bus traveling in the Carmel area. 17 persons were murdered and 40 wounded.

August 19, 2003 � 21:10 � A suicide bomber blew himself up on a #2 bus traveling from the Western Wall to Jerusalem�s Har Nof neighborhood. The blast occurred near the intersection of Route 1 and Shmuel HaNavi Street. The terrorist was disguised as an Orthodox Jew. 23 killed & over 136 wounded, including approximately 40 infants and children.

September 9, 2003 - 17:50 � A Hamas suicide bomber blew himself up at a soldiers' hitchhiking station at the Tzrifin Base near Rishon L'Tzion, near Assaf HaRofeh Hospital. 9 killed and 30 wounded.

September 9, 2003 - 23:20 � A suicide bomber blew himself up inside the Hillel Caf� on Emek Refaim Street in Jerusalem�s German Colony neighborhood. Seven persons were killed and over 55 injured.

March 14, 2004 � 16:30 � Two suicide bombers blew themselves up inside and directly outside of the Port of Ashdod, murdering eleven and leaving about 20 injured

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
In case someone questions why Israel took this freak out here is a list from an Israeli news agency of the attacks they can verify came from his group.

Since the beginning of the Oslo War in September 2000, Hamas has perpetrated 425 terrorist attacks of various kinds, in which 377 Israelis were murdered and 2,076 civilians and soldiers were wounded according to IDF statistics. During the Oslo War, Hamas has perpetrated 52 suicide attacks, in which 288 Israelis were murdered and 1,646 were wounded.

Among the more infamous Hamas suicide bombings and terrorist attacks were:

June 1, 2001 � A suicide bomber detonated an explosive device at 11:30pm in the Dolphinarium discotheque killing 21 and wounding over 120.

August 9, 2001 � At 13:45, a suicide bomber blew himself up in the Sbarro Restaurant at the intersection of Jaffe and King George Streets in Jerusalem, killing 15 and wounding 132.

December 1, 2001 � Triple Bombing attack � 23:30 - Two suicide bombers on Luntz Street on Jerusalem's Ben-Yehuda Mall detonated bombs followed by car bomb on Rabbi Kook Street 15 minutes later. 11 dead and 180 wounded.

December 2, 2001 - 12:00 - Egged bus No.16 was targeted by a suicide bomber at intersection of Yad L'Banim and HaGiborim in Haifa's Halissa neighborhood. 15 dead, 45 wounded.

March 9, 2002 - 22:30 � A suicide bombing attack in Jerusalem's in Moment Caf�. 11 dead & 54 wounded.

March 27, 2002 - 19:15 � A suicide bomber in the Park Hotel in Netanya during the Passover Seder meal. 29 killed & over 130 wounded.

June 18, 2002 � 07:55 � A suicide bomber � Number 32A bus at Patt Junction near Gilo, Jerusalem. 18 murdered and over 50 wounded.

August 4, 2002 � 08:40- A Hamas suicide bomber detonated an explosive device on board a No. 361 bus at Meiron Junction. Nine persons were murdered and 53 injured.

March 5, 2003 � 14:20 � Suicide bombing attack on Moriah Blvd in Haifa on a No. 37 bus traveling in the Carmel area. 17 persons were murdered and 40 wounded.

August 19, 2003 � 21:10 � A suicide bomber blew himself up on a #2 bus traveling from the Western Wall to Jerusalem�s Har Nof neighborhood. The blast occurred near the intersection of Route 1 and Shmuel HaNavi Street. The terrorist was disguised as an Orthodox Jew. 23 killed & over 136 wounded, including approximately 40 infants and children.

September 9, 2003 - 17:50 � A Hamas suicide bomber blew himself up at a soldiers' hitchhiking station at the Tzrifin Base near Rishon L'Tzion, near Assaf HaRofeh Hospital. 9 killed and 30 wounded.

September 9, 2003 - 23:20 � A suicide bomber blew himself up inside the Hillel Caf� on Emek Refaim Street in Jerusalem�s German Colony neighborhood. Seven persons were killed and over 55 injured.

March 14, 2004 � 16:30 � Two suicide bombers blew themselves up inside and directly outside of the Port of Ashdod, murdering eleven and leaving about 20 injured

yes, and how will killing yassin stop any more attacks?
this attack will simply encourage more palestinians to strap bombs on their chests and walk into israel.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
There is no negotiating with hamas or the PLMB. Israel did what they believed was in their own interest, their own security.

I doubt that the US gave a thumbs up for this activity. The US knows that Israel is the pivot for reactionary movements, and wouldn't do anything to inflame Iraq further.

On the other hand, it could be a hope that bombers and resources would be diverted to the fight against Israel. Decisions, decisions...

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
i was just surfing the web, and I noticed that almost everyone, the UK, France, Vatican, EU, UN, Egypt, Pakistan, Indonesia, Turkey and even some Jewish groups including some in Israel are condemning the assassination of Yassin except for US.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
These guys just crack me up. Here are two quotes from BBC today.

French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin said terrorism was "a menace that affects us all", stressing that there could be "no compromise" on the issue.

news.bbc.co.uk...

and...

France also joined in the condemnation, and European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana said it was "very, very bad news" for the peace process.

news.bbc.co.uk...

So, I ask, does "no compromise" equate to "actually, quite a bit of compromising"? The world may never know.

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Fry2]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
You know I never have had a problem with this attack, the parapalegic bastard deserved to die and it brings a smile to my face whenever I hear all that was left was his damn wheelchair. Leave his family with nothing to bury.

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Agent47]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Israel has effectively said bring on your suicide bombers but know that they will no longer hold back from killing those who lead the bombers. I am surprised Arafat did not get hit also.

Both sides have equal blood on thier hands and both sides are wrong. If only they could just create one free state like the U.S. were all could live mostly in peace is sad.

its just so easy to smile and be friends with people with other religions and other races here... I know its not like that every were in the U.S but its close. It is weird that I rarely care what peoples color or religion is except when choosing girlfriends. I duno why but I tend to be attracted to my own race more than others but I do not intentionally exclude others hmm. Guess im not completely inocent of discrimination =/.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I believe one reason the US is not crying out like those idiots in Europe and other places is because we will not hesitate to kill Osama.

Let's face it, 9/11 was bad and messed us up. Israel gets bombings all the time. You do what you need to do to make yourself safe. They knew darn good and well what they were doing, just as we did when we went into Afghanistan.

Personally I feel if the palestinians don't rise up against these tyrants in their midst, they are no better than the terrorist. They may find themselves causalties in the destruction of Arafat and his terrorist. It will be their own fault for not doing more to stop the murderers...

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Al Jazeera doesn't hold back.
If you go to the link below and on the right hand side click the link for pictures of the assasination they a have actually put photos of his body on there. YOu have to look close to realize it is a person.

This will do nothing but inflame those in the region. Not sure what they are showing on the air as well.

english.aljazeera.net...

JON

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
He was thought of as Isreals Bin Laden, so what do you think the US would do if they had a chance to send a rocket up Osamas corn hole?

JON

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Al Jazeera shows that stuff only to incite more violence because thats the only way they can get ratings in that particular demographic

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is a very good read (below).
I'm sure it will not sit well with some, though.

Yassin was a prime mover behind the blowing up of innocent civilians in Israel, be they Muslim or Jewish, citizen or tourist, at work or at rest, by the employment of suicide bombers whose deadly loads are laced with nails and other shrapnel to cause maximum injury. Did it not occur to the higher-ups in Hamas, including the sheikh, that their bombs might draw revenge attacks? Yassin acknowledged as much when he spoke of being a "seeker of martyrdom."

Remember that Hamas' goals are not susceptible to concession or negotiation. The two-state solution, as envisaged by the Oslo agreement, would have been agreed and enacted during the last year of the Clinton administration if it weren't for the irreconcilable claims of militant minorities, such as Hamas, which in Yassin's words consider all of the land of Israel and Palestine to be "consecrated for future Muslim generations until Judgment Day."

Hamas is not a criminal conspiracy; it is a political-religious movement that has declared war on Israel. It can hardly be immoral to kill its leaders in self-defense, and it is for that reason Yassin was killed. If targeted assassination of the leaders of those who are trying to kill you is illegal in international law, than international law in this respect is itself wrong. The clause that bans killing by a state of those who would murder its citizens should be nullified in accordance with the higher precept of self-protection.

Peace can now be considered

A very realistic article indeed, well worth the read.

seekerof

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DANG!

Isreal is going to get it this time. and i mean big. no bus bombing. im thinking hostaages or a really big bombing or sharon getting wacked

[Edited on 3-22-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
hopefully the retaliation gets sharon... an eye for an eye... this is the worst news i've heard all week and i can see the area escalating... and once again Israel will have triggered it

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Maybe Yassin triggered it, oh seven or eight years ago when he started the campaign of indiscriminate suicide/homicide bombings against civilians regardless of political symbolism.

Osama bin Laden did one biggie against the USA.

Yassin's ideology is indistinguishable from Osama bin Laden, but he and his people have perpetrated several HUNDRED. Others still have been stopped by the very vigilant Israeli police and citizens.

The USA tried to Yassinate Bin Laden with a cruise missile in 1998, after the second or third one (Kenya & Tanzania bombings).

Why did Israel wait for a few hundred?

Q

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Umm...why is everyone acting so surprised? The only thing I'm surprised about is that the IDF waited this long to snuff his sorry posterior.

All the internaitonal whining sickens me. They talk like he was friggin' Santa Claus or something.
True, he may have been 'an old man in a wheelchair'. I think this quote may have been a bit out of context for sure. 'Old man in a wheelchair who commands thousands to strap explosives to themselves and blow people up and whose goal is complete and total genocide' would be a lot closer, I think.

I don't understand the whole burial bit...I mean, did they just sweep up what was left with a dustbuster?
I'm all for the overwhelming force. Make it clear that if you send people to blow everyone to bits then it makes you a target to be treated just the same, by people who are a lot better at blowing things up than you are.

This whole 'martyrdom' business is a bunch of BS. I've seen the look on what's left of the suicide bombers' faces. Sure enough, they look like someone who decided that maybe this wasn't such a great idea, only too late.

[Edited on 23-3-2004 by Q]

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
A thumbnail historical sketch of this "unholy roller" may be useful::

NARRATIVE SECTION: My name is Sheikh Ahmed Yassin. Not only am I an expert
on Muslim law, but I am also a member of the Muslim Brotherhood. In 1973, I
built the Islamic Congress from a charitable organization into "an empire that ruled
most of the religious life on the (Gaza) Strip." This organization later became a
political vehicle for the Muslim Brotherhood. In 1984, I was sentenced to a term
of 13 years in prison by Israeli officials on charges of holding weaponry. Next, I was
released in 1985 as part of a Jebril prisoner exchange; however, I was not allowed
to return to my position of chairman of the Islamic Congress. Soon after my
prison release, I was sent back to prison in order to serve a life sentence. This time
I was charged with having caused the deaths of two Israeli soldiers and
four Gazans whom I found to be disloyal. I am not saying whether or not I killed
these victims or had them killed; however, these victims were clearly informants
for the "Israeli government". More recently (in 1988), I founded a new fundamentalist
underground called Hamas (Harakat al-Muqawama al-Islamiya).
Moreover, I am the leader of this movement to this day. (Correction needed here)

BRIEF PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Paralyzed,thin, round-faced, dark brown eyes

BACKGROUND BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION: Place of Birth: town of Al-Johra (in the area
of current day Gaza); Mother's name: Sadah abdallah al-Habeel; Father died when he
was three. Former Chairman of the Islamic Congress, Leader of
informal cultural and educational movement called the Muslim Brotherhood,
Founder of Hamas (an acronym for "Islamic Resistance Movement");
Career Path- Muslim Cleric, spiritual leader (unholy roller)

Perhaps if the Israeli's had the "death penalty" none of this would have happened.
Then the old shriek would have had an electrically powered chair instead of
the manual version. Would have saved some really neat missiles as well.

/\/ight\/\/ing

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join