It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Religion Drug... Should It Be Outlawed???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The Religion Drug
By Alex Gomez

Side Effects Of The Religion Drug

War
Murder
Prejudice
The Holding Back Of Human Progress

Drugs themselves are not hazardous to people. Not unless they are abused. Popular drugs such as marijuana, and steroids can actually be healthy. Steroids are often given to patients with insufficient testosterone, and loss of muscle tissue. Marinol (marijuana in the form of a pill) is often prescribed for the treatment of nausea, and vomiting in cancer patients. It is also prescribed for the treatment of weight loss in AIDS patients. The religion drug can also be healthy. Through the centuries religion, and belief in Gods has given many people hope, people who otherwise would not have any. Many people also claim to have had their prayers answered, and claim to have had their family members mysteriously cured of illnesses by way of prayer. The religion drug may have a positive effect on believers, but it has some of the worst side effects when it is abused. These are side effects that not only hurt the user, but millions of people as well. When steroid users abuse their drug, it can lead to anger, rage, death, and on rare occasions even murder. When a marijuana addict abuses marijuana, it can lead to lowered cognitive abilities, critically lowered learning abilities, and in some cases even death.

Side Effects of The Religion Drug

1. War – The religion drug is the only drug in history to have "all out war" as one of its side effects. Religion is often used as an excuse to go to war. There are wars that have been fought over differing religious beliefs. The Muslim Conquests, The French Wars of Religion, The Crusades, and The Reconquista all come to mind. In this modern age of technology, Shiites, and Sunnis are fighting a never-ending war in the Middle East, because of their differing religious beliefs.

2. Murder - Another side effect of the religion drug is murder. Effects of this drug have caused some of its radical users to murder abortion doctors, and bomb abortion clinics. A Saudi Arabian father cut off his daughters tongue, and burned her to death. The motive for the attack, & murder was simply because she converted to Christianity. In Australia there was a similar case where a husband stabbed his wife to death, because their daughter spoke of converting to Christianity. It is the Islamic way that "If children fail, the mother is at fault and will bear the brunt of the blame."

3. Prejudice -Yet another side effect of this religion drug is prejudice. In the bible homosexuals are referred to as an abomination. They are to be stoned as punishment, because the act of homosexuality is seen no differently than an act of murder. Many believers view homosexuality no differently than they would view bestiality. In doing so they are implying that homosexuals are nothing more than animals. Homosexuals have been attacked, murdered, and protested against, in large part due to that quote from the bible. The hatred of homosexuals is so deep in religious belief, that during an interview, a Muslim professor claimed that Allah, as a punishment for homosexuality, and fornication, brought upon the horrible tsunami that struck Thailand, and South East Asia in December 2004. Homosexuals are ostracized even though homosexuals, and what they choose to do behind closed doors causes no harm to you, or me, or society as a whole. Religion, on the other hand does.

4. The Holding Back Of Human Progress – The use of Stem Cells had the potential to save millions of lives. However, chronic sufferers of the religion drug deemed it as nothing more than a massacre, and were successful in delaying further research into stem cells. The main argument of the religion drug abusers is that extracting stem cells from a non-human cell that cannot be seen by the naked eye is "murder". However, what they fail to realize is that by delaying Stem Cell Research, they have allowed the deaths of millions of people. Had this delay in Stem Cell Research never happened, many of those millions of people could have potentially been saved.

We have seen throughout the years, that when a drug has detrimental side effects, it is often outlawed. Such was the case with marijuana, and steroids. You do not need to read this paper for proof that religion is by far, the most harmful drug that has ever plagued humanity. All the centuries of war, murder, prejudice, and oppression speak for themselves. Now the question that needs to be asked is this, if we know that the religion drug has caused the most horrible acts, and has the worst side effects of any drug in history, why has it not been outlawed?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
hhhmmm,I can't see this one going down to well

I only half agree,I don't think that religion should be outlawed,that's bleedin daft. But I don't think that it should have a big as a hold on world goings on as it does. Religion is a personal thing,a spiritual thing. I also don't think that it should be controlled in the way it is,like I said before,it's a deeply personal thing. You don't need to lay out a mass of laws like that,most of it's common sense. Don't hurt people,don't theive,don't kill,don't shag behind your loved ones back ect.

*shrugs,I dunno*

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

But I don't think that it should have a big as a hold on world goings on as it does. Religion is a personal thing,a spiritual thing.

I wish I can agree with you, especially on the part I quoted because I feel it should be a personal thing, but it just isn't so. Religion has too strong a hold on people. Most people that believe in God don't even know why they believe in God, or they only follow their religion because they were born into it. Religion also has too much control, they even managed to slow down stem cell research in order "to save lives" and in the process let millions of other lives be lost. It is a problem that needs to go....
religion.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

Absolutely , unequivocally yes from me, but I can't see it ever happening. It's like a virus.

I used to use this analogy, back when I could be bothered to get my point across (I have grown weary...)

Put one representative from every religion in the world into one room together and get them to talk about their beliefs , their faith and the reasoning behind it all. Watch as everyone disagrees on huge numbers of points, hear many voices raise, see many faces contort in anger and disagreement, watch as body language turns tense and /or hostile as they verbally battle out their clashing opinions. Observe the general division, the ego's flying, the defenses up, the general dissent . Maybe the Bhudists would exercise a little less emotion but they are all high on meditation so are more detached.

Multiply these numbers to envision this scene on a global scale and you will realize just how religion separates man from man. No one can agree on very much beyond a belief in "GOD" - every individual religious faction has their own personal set of rules, regulations, guidelines, theories , and so on. All religion does is cause chaos amongst humanity , it does not join us in some brotherhood of man. Even now, wars are still instigated and fought in the name of religion. It's a dark, dividing force filled with half truths.

Real , absolute truth would unite the world, not separate us all.

[edit on 18/9/08 by cosmicpixie]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This is a continuation of a thread written 2000 years ago, started by Matthew, eventually finished by John...

Its called the New Testament...

'Religion' was outlawed in me...when Jesus saved me!

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
first of all your understanding is very little.

1. religion will be outlawed but it will be by antichrist soon when the world joins into one world order which is what the illuminaties plans are. We will be killed off (christians). is that gonna make you happy?

2. If there was no religion you are (sadly) mistaken that the world would be peacful. Communism would run wild, Nukes would go off because nation would rise up against nation and communism and athiesm would spread throughout the world.

3. The true teachings of Christ are.

" Love thy neighbor as thy self "

" Love God with all thy heart "

" love thy enemies "

what the hell you talkin bout that without these teachings the world would be a better place?

The reason you bring those points up because you are taking very few instances in human history and the wars of the catholic church and so forth to claim that the Church teaches war. the truth is that the church teaches

" thou shall not kill "

Like I said, if everybody embraced Christ real teachings. No war would ever exist.

and basically, do you think communists are told to (love thy enemies)?

hell no. They will kill their own countrymen led alone their enemies.

You see what you souls see is the wars and famine that comes from a few events, but not the true tenits of Christs teachings.

he said.

" blessed are the peacemakers "

Not blessed are the war machines.

God will never die off, you aint getting rid of him, he isn't going away. he worked tons of miracles and we will continue to believe in him and his teachings nomatter what.

But what you will recieve during antichrists time is the destruction us Christians, you will get your wish, but then havoc will destroy your earth because no moral code will exist and it will create huge wars including WW3..

peace.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
" delaying stem cell kills off millions "

you don't understand it from our view.

Say the person got a cure from stem cells which is immoral to us. And then a week later the person cured died in an accident. What does it profit the man cured?

God cares about curing the soul first and then people will actaully want to go home. many saints longed to die and go to heaven because they reached that state here.

God wants those people to (if they have a sickness that cannot be cured) to prepare for death, ask God ernastly to cure them and if he doesn't then prepare to go home.

everybody will die. Doesn't matter if stem cell created 10,20, whatever many years onto someones life, they will die eventually. while they would enjoy that time, I can see that, everybody wants to live forever, God might want them home sooner which is why he might give them that sickness.

so your looking at it from a worldy perspective. Don't disregard Christians view point because it doesn't seem agreeable with you.

peace.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The teachings of many world religions in respect of love thy neighbour, do unto oneself as you would have done to you, etc etc, aren't really the problem, it's this building a whole religion around some rather simple advice that is the problem. One can hold beliefs in things without subscribing to religion you know.
Man should be strong enough to take responsibility for his own life and actions and where mistakes are made, ask his own self to accept his failings and forgive...not externalize his own power and make himself accountable to some ideaology, that's just madness

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
cosmic pixie, i completely disagree.

Many 100s of saints witnessed miracles, talked to angels, seen Christ face to face. padre Pio had the stigmata for 50 strait years to suffer for people sins. many saints raised the dead. i myself have seen cancer in it's late stages uncurable cured by prayer of a holy priest.

Christ himself worked miracles, came to earth, fullied the prophecies. So saying it's just making a religion out of something simple and basic is not what we believe.

It's called revealed truth. We believe Christ is the messiah, and he has shared with us countless miracles to go alone with the prophecies.

The reason we are accountable to God is because he is a father to us. he wants the best out of us like a dad would.

anyways the OP will get his wish soon.

peace.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

cosmic pixie, i completely disagree.

Many 100s of saints witnessed miracles, talked to angels, seen Christ face to face. padre Pio had the stigmata for 50 strait years to suffer for people sins. many saints raised the dead. i myself have seen cancer in it's late stages uncurable cured by prayer of a holy priest.

Christ himself worked miracles, came to earth, fullied the prophecies. So saying it's just making a religion out of something simple and basic is not what we believe.

It's called revealed truth. We believe Christ is the messiah, and he has shared with us countless miracles to go alone with the prophecies.

The reason we are accountable to God is because he is a father to us. he wants the best out of us like a dad would.

anyways the OP will get his wish soon.

peace.

(1) "miracles" happen with and without religious overtones, no-one can claim they are specifically related to religion/God/Jesus

(2) Prayer is no different to cosmic ordering or positive suggestion. Cures have also occured with psychic surgery and psychic doctoring, again, not directly related to religion/god/jesus

(3) The mind can see what it wants to see. A quick read of various NDE's indicates people see whichever religious figures they expect to see near the "tunnel of light".

(4) The Council of Nicaea decided which books made the Bible and which books didn't. A thorough read of the Apocrypha and other supporting historical information lend strong credence to the concept of Jesus being just a man, albeit a highly evolved soul. There is good evidence to trash the idea of Virgin births, miraclulous conception, resurrection from the dead and plenty of indications Jesus was in a relationhsip with Mary Magdalene

(5) Try reading works by Barbara Thiering, a religious scholar with decades of research behind her. The miracles in the Bible are metaphors, there is evidence to support Jesus having been born to an unwed Mary and Joseph, and raised intially by the mystical Essene priesthood, the leader of this faction given the name "god" by the followers, his right hand men referred to as "angels". I bought into everything I was taught once too, but years of study opened my eyes. It doesn't detract from what a great soul Jesus was but he was just as human as the rest of us

(6) Angels, spirit guides, spirit helpers...all pretty similar but given alternative names. The existence of such advanced souls I don't question but I fail to see why there is a need to link them into the "God"/Supreme Being concept

(7) To glean insights into who we are and where we came from, it would be wise to go to the oldest texts known to man, not a bible that was put together fairly recently. The oldest known texts to man are the Babylonian Tablets, which descrcibe things in great detail. The OT is a very watered down, doctored version of the older writings.

(8) Man has decided to personalize the God concept. Man decided to view God as a physical being . There is of course a unifying force in the universe, an energy which binds everything together, sustains the universe. This creative life energy is the source of all, but why claim it is a physical being ? That's a tad presumptuous ! Also, this creative energy force is made of the same stuff as what it created- the stars, the galaxies, planets, you, me, the tree down the road....it IS us and we are IT. There is no division, no separateness, no suboordination to something "superior". We are it, it is us....ones internal voice is the only guide we need, if only we would listen closely....didn't Jesus even make it clear that the kingdom of god was within us ?

(9) A supreme being who wanted everyone to know the truth would be able to do so in such a manner as to avoid any and all confusion, doubt or division of opinion. But that is not what has occured. Instead, every religion is at odds with each other on many points. There is no order in the world through religion , only chaos. It is a system that has had plenty of time to prove itself but it just doesn't work .

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
" 1 "

I didn't say miracles have to have a religious overtone, I'm talking about the specific miracles related to christ like stigmata and rasing the dead. god does create miracles throughout the world and does it for his glory, then there are the miracles of faith pertaining to faith

" 2 "

You don't know what prayer is and this is something I cannot explain to you in here, but after death you will see what it does. As for the preist who prayed for my aunt that was cured in her late stages, supposed to die in a month. If what you are saying is true then everybody should be cured of cancer if it's that easy. the guy is not a psyphic doctor, he was a preist. You can believe what you want.

" 3 "

I'm not talking about NDEs, you guys have all this info and no ability of faith. The girl in my sig talked to her angel everyday and Christ and she also had the stigmata that would happen (instantly) in the eyes of a preist out of nowhere. Some visions are from God and after death you will see what i mean.

"4 "

The Apocryphal Gospels were clear couterfits because of when they were written and how they were written as deemed by the apostels which is why the true gospels written before them were in the bible. The fact is that if those gosepls contradicted the true gospels how can God be divided against himself? So the way you put it as if both gospels are correct which is incorrect because all 4 gospels say christ was the messiah and God and existed before Abraham was made, that one was in John.

" 5 "

Barabara Theiring. How do you know she was not a lier? was she there? No. God was definitely human but he was also divine. This is the problem with liars who distort facts to fit their own agenda then they can get anybody to easily just believe what they say to be fact. it's all theory and I don't buy it for a minute.

" 6 "

Angels are used to watch over people and be their guide. Also they fight off bad angels who go throughout the world harming others. Angels are like humans that God created for his companions and he uses them as helpers.

" 7 "

The OT is from the beggining of man. The story of the beggining which texts date back many years before the bible was put together.

" 8 "

The energy though if it is what you say it is doesn't have a personality. God is a spirit and wants us to know him thats why it's called revealed truth. Not something we don't know but something he wants us to come to know. The reason is because Moses spoke with him, seen his works like parting the Red Sea and he spoke with humans from the beggining. He also came as Christ to earth to share it with us.

The reason Christ said the kingdom is withint us. This is nothing more than (love) and his graces... Not the answer to the universe is withint us. Your understand hasn't reached his words yet pixie.

" 9 "

No no, you got it all wrong. God gave us free will. So people can decide to create other religious ideas. God isn't gonna create a religion, the truth one and then force people to believe who will not listen. This is the free will aspect of the world.

I wish you wouldn't of asked so many questions, I don't have the time to answer all these.

peace.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I've been through the religious thing, I do know what prayer is, I have studied the Bible but also questioned everything in it. That's where you and I differ. The pursuit of Truth has been the guiding force in my life for the past 18 years and I am still on it. The answers are not all in one little book I'm afraid, this has become blatantly obvious to me through my years of reading, study and research - though it would be so sweet if they were.

I could answer all your counter arguments and tear alot of what you have said apart, but I've neither the time or inclination.

I wish you nothing but joy and comfort in the lovely little womb that is your personal belief system , I have no further desire to contend any of it as at the end of the day, what you personally believe is none of my business and something I am not that concerned about.

Namaste

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You can try and tear my arguments apart but it's going to be mostly theory and not proof behind your statments.

most of what you gave me was baised on not concrete evidence but theory.

I will stay in my little (womb). but you don't know my life and haven't seen what i have. I also believe in the saints and the stigmatist and I believe in scripture. For you to say it's untrue when you don't know for sure doesn't mean it is.

the religion thing for me isn't just a thing, it's what Ive seen work in my life, how God provides for us, how God has worked countless miracles in my families life and how i never grew up religious and how it has changed me within, confession and communion.

oh btw scientists have tested the eucharistic miracles in italy and the vidence is that the blood is still fresh from 800 ad 1300 years ago. This is what i mean about miracles of faith.

check you later CP, glad you stopped by the forum.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
They also have DNA from over 10,000 years ago...

I agree it's ugly to try and tear a person or their arguments but the fact is it is all theory really.

I really would love to see actual proof

Now outlawing religion...not at all

Keeping it in check and not letting it run the law...absolutely

-Kyo

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Kyo zero what are you may I ask?

It's that I hear people say ( I tried the religious thing )

God is not a vacuum cleaner we try out and then put back if you don't like it. Some people actually believe Christ is God as he said he was. it's called faith and it should be respected because people don't know if he's God or not.

peace.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Not to you pixie, I heard others say they tried the religious thing before as if it's a rollercoaster.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well let's put it this way. If religion was outlawed would poverty, war, drugs, sex, gambling and all the bad things suddenly vanish? If leader's can't play the religion card they will play a different one. Religion has been tainted, corrupted and has been lead in a different way then it should be.

Should it be abolished? I think organized religions should be abolished. I think the Vatican should be abolished and all the wealth it has produced given to the poor. I think, I think, I think, but what do I know?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
I think, I think, I think, but what do I know?

That is a great line right there. I'm going to use it whenever I can if you don't mind.

Don't look here, it's a just a second line of text.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
No problem friend use it whenever you want.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

athiest antidote

elitism
genocide
stagnation of development

david

new topics

top topics

join