It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First person convicted of murder using brain scan technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

First person convicted of murder using brain scan technology

www.nytimes.com

The new technology is, to its critics, Orwellian. Others view it as a silver bullet against terrorism that could render waterboarding and other harsh interrogation methods obsolete. Some scientists predict the end of lying as we know it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Ahhh yes.... this is it. All done.

The FED buying up all the financial intuitions, globalizing economy's, RFID chips, mandatory immunizations for our children, and now brain scans......thought crime.

It's actually pretty sad how we're all pretty powerless against it.

Reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I don't know what is sadder really, the fact that this occurred in India, where you can set your sister or mother or wife on fire and not be charged, or that the NY Times is spouting this in the first few lines as "new technology."

And gee, what a shock, the "defendant" this "new technology" was used against was a female.

“Technologies which are neither seriously peer-reviewed nor independently replicated are not, in my opinion, credible,” said Dr. Rosenfeld, a psychologist and neuroscientist at Northwestern University and one of the early developers of electroencephalogram-based lie detection. “The fact that an advanced and sophisticated democratic society such as India would actually convict persons based on an unproven technology is even more incredible.”

www.nytimes.com...

No what's incredible is he just said that about India.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
“I find this both interesting and disturbing,” Henry T. Greely, a bioethicist at Stanford Law School, said of the Indian verdict. “We keep looking for a magic, technological solution to lie detection. Maybe we’ll have it someday, but we need to demand the highest standards of proof before we ruin people’s lives based on its application.”

I have to agree. For example, someone could frequent a store where a murder took place, they could even have interacted with the person murdered, this will bring up images in their minds even if what is asked has nothing to do with the actual murder. The mind can forge additional images to a scene when given only a few pieces to the puzzle. Once it does, it's in a person's brain whether it's the actual true event or not. This could convict them for the murder?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

I'm doing a study of the book 1984 (George Orwell), and this is plain scary. Thought Crime, the process of thinking crime. Its coming. I will do everything within my power to stop it, if it does take over, even Man's last sanctuary, his mind, will be no longer private. The day of Though Crime is the day the world ends.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
On the converse side, remember when DNA testing came out....sure, it convicted plenty of people....but it also set many free as being wrongly charged.

This may do the same.

But EVERYONE has secrets. And now they may not be able to be kept no matter what. Your memory now could be your worst enemy.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
DNA is solid form evidence. The mind will never hold a solid form of evidence because the mind is always changing and rearranging. DNA does not change, rearrange, invent, it stays the same. Solid.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well, according to the book "Genie in your Genes" DNA DOES change with thought.

And we know DNA can mutate. But according to this author your thoughts actually change your DNA.

Check it out.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I think this has flaws cause if someone guilty of a crime convinced themself that they didnt do it then wouldnt that make this new tech useless

And how easy would it be to convict innocent people by having the intent of using suggestive thought on them

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Unknownsoul]

top topics

join