It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama The Sexist: You Can Put Lipstick On A Pig

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
It looks like Obama the sexist is collaping under pressure.
He just said the most stupidist thing to date, practically calling Palin a pig.

How ridiculous. He most certainly did NOT call her a pig.

First off, if you are going to label someone's statement as being one of his or her stupidest, at least spell the word right. I'll give you a pass on "collapsing" but you aren't helping your case. Don't inadvertently make yourself a contender.

Look, I'll assume you to be naive to the many figures of speech currently in use, and have mistakenly taken one of them as being literal, so maybe an introduction is in order.

Alxandro meet "Figure of Speech".
"Figure of Speech", Alxandro.

Definition:

A Figure of Speech is where a word or words are used to create an effect, often where they do not have their original or literal meaning.

If someone says that they are 'starving', they do not mean that they are in fact dying of hunger, but that they are very hungry. This is a simple example of a figure of speech, where the word is used to heighten or increase the state that they are describing. A metaphor or a simile are two of the most common forms used.
usingenglish.com

my bolds

I'm tired as hell of these types of absurd deflection "news" stories when we should be focusing on one of the many crises Americans are facing or will soon face.

PLEASE NOTE: Hell itself may not actually be tired.

- Lee

[edit on 9-9-2008 by lee anoma]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by northof8
Just google "palin pig" and see the fury that is being brought down on Obama right now. This is not going away tomorrow. It may not decide the election but I would suspect that women that see this will not be impressed.

On the contrary, I think these types of remarks from the left are part of what is driving the McCain/Palin tickets poll numbers up. I think many people are seeing the vicious hate that some on the left are putting out against Palin as being truly un-American and they are right. It is un-American. We are better than this type of stuff. People are tired of this sort of thing and just want to know what candidates are going to do for them to improve their lives and well being. Instead, every year the election cycle gets more hatful and divisive. Not just from one side but from both sides. It just so happens that this years the left is particularly nasty. In my opoinion, that shows desparation. Unfortunately, that is showing on this board.

If Obama does not stop this sort of rhetoric he WILL loose this election...if he hasn't already.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by northof8

Sigh...

My intention by bringing up McCains reference was to show that this is a phrase that is used very common in the political arena, I for one can say for sure beyond any doubt that McCain didn't intend to call Hillary a pig, why some of you guys can see it the other way in regard to Sen. Obama's comments is beyond my comprehension.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Originally posted by northof8
Obama thinks Palin is a pig.

Well, let's be fair. Obama doesn't likely think Palin is a pig. BUT I do believe he did intend to imply an insult nonetheless.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by loam]

Well from the crowds reaction that is exactly the point that came across. I watched the video a few times and the crowd took the meaning for what it was. Palin is a pig with lipstick. Does Obama really think that? I think he does. I think deep down he knows Palin represents American values and Obama doesn't like that.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

It fundamentally comes down to this.

Obama's timing sucks.

With Palin having just used a similar expression about herself in a national speech with great effect, Obama using a similar expression days later was not his smartest move.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I have never heard this term and I am not rabid...do I believe he intended to insult her no...but this shows his ignorance once again as to how he will be demonized for it in the public spot light...

I am glad if he gets crucified for it, I am a McCain/Palin supporter...just goes to show he is not smart enough to lead if he keeps putting his foot in his mouth...imagine what gaffs or mistakes he would make talking to terrorist nations...

Argghhh...what a nightmare he will would have been if elected before Palin came and put a nail in his coffin....

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

Sigh...

My intention by bringing up McCains reference was to show that this is a phrase that is used very common in the political arena, I for one can say for sure beyond any doubt that McCain didn't intend to call Hillary a pig, why some of you guys can see it the other way in regard to Sen. Obama's comments is beyond my comprehension.

Sigh back at ya...
Again, One more time... Two very different uses of the phrase lipstick on a pig... McCain's use was as intended in the usual meaning when used in normal political discourse. Obama's was used to call Palin a pig and that crowd not only knew it, they endorsed it.

To watch Obama supporters try to defend this is laughable....

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

How exactly does one differentiate a cheer generated by a slam against McCain versus one against Palin? I'm not trying to be snide, I'm honestly confused by your post.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I agree with you.
Obama is starting to show his true personality.
I feel that he is making himself look bad.
Especially when McCain never insults him.
I'm actually getting bored with him.
He sounds like he is preaching to people.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by MagicaRose]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Amen sister...i think sister anyway (based on your cool avatar)...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by round_eyed_dog

How exactly does one differentiate a cheer generated by a slam against McCain versus one against Palin? I'm not trying to be snide, I'm honestly confused by your post.

Watch Palins speech then watch Obamas speech and let it sink in. If after watching both of them you can't see what he did wrong here I don't know what to say. I mean when the main streem media starts picking it up you know he screwed up.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by northof8]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Did that answer my question? I'm even more confused now than before you answered.

Political deke by Gretzky!

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I saddened this thread has survived as long as it has. Take a step back and look at what is going on here. Debate on whether Obama use an age old expression as a sexist remark against Gov Palin.

Sickening...
Moving on to more enlightening threads, whether they be for or against Obama, I dont care... Just not this....

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The irony of this coverage on conservative news sites, radio and blogs is that these are the same people that deprecate the so called burdens of "political correctness" yet dive headfirst into the "sexism" pool over an innocuous figure of speech.

Amazing.

Hypocrisy truly is the greatest luxury.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'm probably going to regret getting involved in this discussion, but it seems to me to be quite a stretch to believe that its only a coincidence that the Dems have been using these 'lipstick' references repeatedly since Palin made that joke last week. Obviously, it was an attempt to use her words against her.

That's not to say he definitely intended to 'call her a pig'. I do not know what his intent was. It doesn't really even matter. The problem he faces is the simple fact that everyone, even if for only a moment, will have to consider that yes, he did mean it in the worst way. Many will ultimately reject that consideration, but many others won't. Will it cost him at least a few votes? Almost certainly.

At the end of the day, I have this to say to Barack Obama: You should have known better. Obviously, people are going to make the connection between those two phrases less than a week after Palin first delivered that line! Regardless of his intent, it was horrible judgement on his part. He should have known this would happen.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Speaking as an Alaskan ... My farm animals where once paid SAG acting wages for a television ad for the State Fair in Palmer Alaska.
My goat was dressed in tuxedo jacket with a top hat, the sheep was
dressed in a straw bonnet and the chicken came as herself dressed in down.

So it doesn't bother me one bit what Obama says in public.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

A slam is a slam and Obama is hiding behind the euphemism.
He did something similar when he first acknowledged Palin by intentionally mispronouncing the name of her hometown,Wasilla. which he sarcastically and snidely called "Wassilly".

Sure this pig thing is a figure of speech and it shouldn't really matter, but all I'm saying is in the court of public opinion, it just might.
My point is Obama said something extremely careless and this is something he cannot afford to do, especially now.

I think you need to learn how to "read between the lines".

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

I don't have to be a conservative or a liberal to recognize *rude* when I see it.

PC has nothing to do with it.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

You can put lipstick on a pig...polish a turd....its all good. I found it quite witty.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

McCain is the pig, Palin is the lipstick. You just have to think rhetorically to get it. Luckily, plucky is here.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join