It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain speech discussion, before, during, and after

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I think it was a pretty decent speech, actually.

I don't ever find myself feeling the hostility towards McCain I do towards most conservatives - I think he's a decent guy, I just think he's wrong.

For the most part, he kept it above the belt, which is one of the reasons I respect McCain, and won't vilify him.

Certainly I think this speech will play much better to undecideds than the Romney/Guliani/Palin stream of nasty partisanship last night.

The thing with McCain is, he's a lot smarter than most of his party, IMO.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
He has the upper hand now and he will win. I don't like republicans but heck, compared to the alternative I am on board now. They did a good job.

One odd thing though, in the McCain film biography part they kept showing "average americans" and noticeably chose black americans to represent the minorities. Same thing with the cameras focusing on the crowd. Why? They need to appeal to the people that might actually VOTE for them, and that should have meant diversity being shown as hispanic and asian.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Let me say .. I haven't been too high on McCain .. in fact I was leaning towards not voting for either .. but after the past week's developements and the RNC, I know who I'm voting for barring any unforeseen issues

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I have to admit that I like when he spoke about Obama, he only used the truth rather than slander. I liked that he didn't hammer in fear and terror to influence ppl. I like that he WASN'T Obama. The old man, although not an electrifying speaker (which is a point plus to me), has me considering. THAT IS CONSIDERING, not an absolute yet. I'd have to say one thing that I always did think was a huge plus for john mccain was that he stood beside his fellow soldiers despite the risks to his life... which does show strong loyalty.

(His wife was an annoying speaker though... just had to throw that in)

eh, it may just be that I REALLY don't like Obama.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electricneo

I applaud those who went to Canada-who know the truth-that's courage.
there's no courage in being a zombie puppet who merely follows orders.

There sure as hell isn't any courage in leaving your country. Thoreau went to jail for the courage of his conviction. Hippies who went to Canada for convenience are not even in the same league.

I don't applaud anyone whose loyalty is conditional.

Or whose courage is situation-based.

I don't believe that anyone who served in vietnam was automatically a villain. But then, I was rooting for the Vietnamese people and the American military.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
If people didn't see plz... for ats

"Hey guys I just posted an Obama vs McCain thread to be used like the georgia war thread for all the election debate

the entire forum is covered in the election and... it really is weak for ATS

Could you all please let these die and switch to using that thread instead of posting in 100 different ones?"

It just makes sense, not even saying this thread isn't a relavent stand alone, it could be just that... it has to start somewhere

people have been getting pissed, people say they want to leave ats...

I've been sick of seing Obama in the title of thread s for months now it's Palin

This makes sense to do

wasn't even my idea, others mentioned it and I thought it a wise move

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
He has the upper hand now and he will win. I don't like republicans but heck, compared to the alternative I am on board now. They did a good job.

One odd thing though, in the McCain film biography part they kept showing "average americans" and noticeably chose black americans to represent the minorities. Same thing with the cameras focusing on the crowd. Why? They need to appeal to the people that might actually VOTE for them, and that should have meant diversity being shown as hispanic and asian.

haha! I noticed the same thing, although I also noticed quite a few hispanics being shown as well. Not so much the asian.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Very, very nice overall. He spoke to his core conservative base, but at the same time, admitted that the Republican party of the last 8 years has made its share of mistakes. As I suspected, there were few partisan attacks aimed at Obama, but instead, an attempt to reach across party lines. He even delivered it all quite well. This was a very good nomination acceptance speech for McCain.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by vor78]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
reply to post by skeptic1

Thats what he has Palin for! The barracuda.

And thats historically what the Vice Presidential candidate is supposed to do....go after the other party, while the Presidential candidate sticks to their vision.

I LOVED hearing "Barracuda" after his speech.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I must admit he did pretty good. Pretty hard to repeat what Palin did especially since we all know that McCain is not as articulate as Obama or Palin.

For the most part he kept it very diplomatic. I am glad he did.

I was also impressed that he admitted that he at times has been an imperfect servant and admitted that both parties are responsible for not getting the job done.

I know all of this is scripted but sincerity you cannot script.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
haha! I noticed the same thing, although I also noticed quite a few hispanics being shown as well. Not so much the asian.

Well I guess they can't control the stations that film the crowd, and it was probably easier to pick out black faces. I guess I did see a couple of hispanics, and McCain did specifically call out to hispanics with his "migrant farm workers daughter" comment.

I felt sorry for Cindy McCain, she was obviously so nervous! She was forced into doing that, poor thing. Though her speech was way too long.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Loved the protesters!!

So glad some got thru I am sure they took a beating!

I can't believe the camera persons actually showed the protesters!!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The media is ripping McCain for the speech. Even some Fox News talking heads said that it wasn't that impressive, but they are comparing his speech to Gov. Palin speech which is I think is not fair. They are also bashing him because he dare to talk bad about the GOP, which the Barack camp quickly jump on.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
HEY guys, I like that he was not nasty...
Not much for the specifics but...

Does anyone know where I can find live reaction to the speech?

Please that you,,, good job JOHN, wrong but the high road.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
Am I mistaken or has McCain not bad-mouthed Obama even once? As I recall, the first 12+ minutes of Obama's speech were about McCain....

The only mention McCain has made about Obama and his supporters has been positive.

Maybe this speech will be about why we should vote for McCain and not why we shouldn't vote for Obama.

Hey he did good, but yes he did throw a few jabs in.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
The media is ripping McCain for the speech. Even some Fox News talking heads said that it wasn't that impressive, but they are comparing his speech to Gov. Palin speech which is I think is not fair. They are also bashing him because he dare to talk bad about the GOP, which the Barack camp quickly jump on.

Yeah I heard some commentators say that too, but I think it was the right angle. The die hard Republicans that might be offended at the criticism of the current admin don't have a choice, they HAVE TO vote for McCain.

By criticizing the current admin, and calling for change McCain was appealing to the independant/undecided voters. His goal is not to please the people that are already voting for him, it is to INFLUENCE those that are undecided so they WILL vote for him.

It was a smart move.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I watch both conventions. I must say that McCain's speach tonight won me over. He seems very sincere.

Rudy Giuliani drove the final nails in Obama's coffin however.

"His rise is remarkable in its own right. It's the kind of thing that could happen only in America. But he's never run a city, never run a state, never run a business, never run a military unit. He's never had to lead people in crisis. This is not a personal attack. It's a statement of fact: Barack Obama has never led anything."

"Nearly 130 times he (Obama) couldn’t make a decision. He couldn’t figure out whether to vote yes or no. It was too tough. He voted Present. I didn’t know about this vote present when I was the mayor of New York City. You don’t get “Present” in an Executive Job. As the President of the United States it’s not good enough to be Present. You have to make a decision." --Rudy Giuliani

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I've never really considered McCain a great orator, but he did well tonight. Workmanlike is the word I've heard most to describe it. I liked how he diferentiated himself from his party and appealled to independents. He's always been one of the few politicians I really respect.

Time to move on to the debates see how they go. I'm glad the conventions are over though.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
In another thread, I made the point that McCain did what Obama wouldn't-- actually demonstrate his commitment to change: loam's odd, but humble view.

His speech even supports directly the point I made.

It's McCain's to lose now.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Good analysis, right on point. The question now would be how far the Obama camp use the ammunition that Sen. McCain handed out to them, and not only the Obama camp, this is going to be used as well for the Congressional races.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join