It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question about the sanity of discussions here on ATS.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
When I go on most web-forums and I talk about politics over there and like they have discussions about politics usually the discussions are okay. There are times when someone will say something-- I will say something-- or another user will say something and like then it'll be like everyone against me sometimes where all the users will not believe in my opinion because they think it's silly and they ask me for proof-- or like there are other topics where users are able to debate each other intelligently-- and there are topics which erupt into flamewars. I love how ATS takes a policy that advocates intelligent discussion. There are just times when I feel afraid to participate in a thread because other people might become really emotionally high from what I said (my definition of a user being emotionally high: when you say something and the other user with an opposing viewpoint will make an emotionally charged viewpoint). My question is this: is that really an issue here on ATS? I like the intelligent discussions here on ATS-- just something I worry about from time to time is the sanity and etiquette on this forum.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Politics is a hard topic to moderate I would imagine. Especially in an election year. My suggestion is to not fall for the baiting into a fight with another member if they do become emotionaly charged about an issue.

If it is really bad there is always the allert feature that is available to allert the staff of an issue with a member.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
It just goes to show how sensitive people can be about the world of politics. I would blame that on the last 8 years of the "fear factor" that was pounded into everyone's heads after 9/11. Although the subject has always brought about heavy debate and the familiar "flamewar" discussions, it is more prevelant these days than ever.

I always tell myself that its all just one big sales pitch and I am not interested in bying anything today.

Perhaps examining the "United We Stand, Divided We Fail" organization may help to understand the "polishi*s" of this nation a little better.

Cheers!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
that's why i hardly discuss poltical issues - neither in a forum nor in real life.
politics and religion are subjects which are treated very personal and therefore people are somewhat emotinal about it. it is much easier to talk about bedroom affaires than about politics.
it doesn.t matter what nation you off or if it is an election year in the USA.

i've always got the feeling as if the opponent just wants tp persuade me of her/his opinion. which makes me feel disrespected and boom - emotions!

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
People will always flare at times when they attempt to discuss politics; tis the nature of the beast.

My suggestion is to give the Political BullyPit in the Politics forum a read and decide whether or not it is possible to have civil political discussion.

We still have it at times in our other political forums, but you may have discovered that people are still prone to have there outbursts...

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
IMHO people get so worked up over politics because all of us (or most of us) are ego centric... or we think our ideas are the best and others must be oxygen thief's for not agreeing with us.

Now, discussing politics is very important, people need to think about what is going on and the consequences of what politicians campaign on.

When discussing politics people often commit horrible fallacies on purpose and on accident. Here is a good website to see what I mean. Fallacies

If you can make a good argument that is accurate and free of fallacies then you should be able to get people to think for themselves. That is the key.

Here is an example.

To start I am a conservative. ( Now you know where I am coming from).
I truly believe that 85-95% of all candidates at all levels of government have the best interests of the country in mind when making policy and holding office. I just disagree with others (other conservatives, moderates, and liberals) on what path to take.

so, here is my argument against Barak Obama.

I disagree that raising taxes on oil companies will do any good for the average citizen.

Many economists have the opinion that prices will rise when taxes are increased.

The average citizen that is having trouble affording energy now will not be better off if prices go higher due to taxes.

Now. I feel that that is a good political view that can be discussed.

so, to sum up. people forget that others can be right and disagree

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
POLITICS

Poly=Many
Tics=Bloodsucking Vermin

I say put them all in a ring and last man standing will be worth following

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
How does the old saying go? Never discuss age, religion or politics in polite conversation. Why? Because they are the three topics most likely to generate offence.

Octopussassin
www.nuganhand.wordpress.com

top topics

join