It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain's pick is.....

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

You are way off base with this Andrew. I know your tactics here but that's a stretch even for you. Making reference to Clinton is hardly acknowledgment that this is the only reason she was chosen. And why shouldn't she make reference to that? She is the only woman who made it onto a presidential ticket isn't she?

Furthermore, I think most people are going to be shown that in reality, she is more fit to be President that Obama himself. Regardless, if Obama really wants to make that an issue, it's just going to backfire. It will quickly be pointed out that the race is between Obama and McCain, not Obama and Palin. Obama doesn't want to get into an experience battle there.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

your post serves no relevance to my post what so ever

you offer us why you like her - fine - good for you - you can like her for whatever reason you want.

But don't come back and tell anyone who votes for obama because he's black that they're ignorant.

That is the strategy the mccain campaign JUST took

refer to the [ ex ] section in my last post

those are HER WORDS

"vote for me because im a woman"

not "vote for me because im a great leader"

link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

BTW Palin is a member of Feminists for Life of America ,

The more I read and learn about her, the more I can't figure her out. NRA member and union member. Mother and Governor. Conservative but got into office and slapped around the conservatives.

She's hard to label.

I like that about her.

link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

on another note... msnbc reports palin smoked marijuana and didnt like it

I like the caveat of "when it was legal in Alaska"

link   

hillary voters who vote mccain are ignorant. borderline stupid. not cause mccain is stupid. but that mccain and palin stand for everything shes not

I am not so sure about that, many are on her side, she is strong and has over 80% approval rating in Alaska, they love her,

No matter what her political affilation, I as a woman admire her accomplisments

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GirlNextDoor

Originally posted by badmedia

I think I might actually vote for Obama now. I don't want the republicans to win, because if McCain does win it will be another 8 years before we have any chance of getting an actual conservative president, and if McCain loses then we can get another chance in 4 years.

I hear ya. But what are Obama/Biden going to do in four years? How much bigger will the government get? And the deficit? And our taxes? Ugh.

Well under bush it has gotten huge....

I know. I know. I'm no fan of Bush. Believe me.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

You are way off base with this Andrew. I know your tactics here but that's a stretch even for you. Making reference to Clinton is hardly acknowledgment that this is the only reason she was chosen. And why shouldn't she make reference to that? She is the only woman who made it onto a presidential ticket isn't she?

It's not a stretch at all. She's saying "women who supported Hillary - WE can still break the biggest ceiling in America...help me break that ceiling" she's pandering to the Hillary audience. Period. The fact that you choose not to believe it is a problem you have to deal with internally.

Furthermore, I think most people are going to be shown that in reality, she is more fit to be President that Obama himself. Regardless, if Obama really wants to make that an issue, it's just going to backfire. It will quickly be pointed out that the race is between Obama and McCain, not Obama and Palin. Obama doesn't want to get into an experience battle there.

Really?

The only people i see making it a race between palin and obama is people like you.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Yes I heard that< Oh well Obama had his Blow and a little pot and booze, lol

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GirlNextDoor

BTW Palin is a member of Feminists for Life of America ,

The more I read and learn about her, the more I can't figure her out. NRA member and union member. Mother and Governor. Conservative but got into office and slapped around the conservatives.

She's hard to label.

I like that about her.

Right she is the real deal, her own woman.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Yes I heard that< Oh well Obama had his Blow and a little pot and booze, lol

Im convinced bush is still on it, and cheney needs bush to share

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

your post serves no relevance to my post what so ever

you offer us why you like her - fine - good for you - you can like her for whatever reason you want.

But don't come back and tell anyone who votes for obama because he's black that they're ignorant.

That is the strategy the mccain campaign JUST took

refer to the [ ex ] section in my last post

those are HER WORDS

"vote for me because im a woman"

not "vote for me because im a great leader"

Don't put words in my mouth, I said no such thing, I said he has little accomplishment in comparison

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

It's not a stretch at all. She's saying "women who supported Hillary - WE can still break the biggest ceiling in America...help me break that ceiling" she's pandering to the Hillary audience. Period. The fact that you choose not to believe it is a problem you have to deal with internally.

So what? She is a woman in case you missed that. That doesn't mean that she is pandering for their vote, or that this was the only reason she was chosen.

The only people i see making it a race between palin and obama is people like you.

Right. And every MSM news outlet, and quite a few Obama supporters here at ATS.

Nice one.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by nyk537]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

So what? She is a woman in case you missed that. That doesn't mean that she is pandering for their vote, or that this was the only reason she was chosen.

Right. And every MSM news outlet, and quite a few Obama supporters here at ATS.

Nice one.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by nyk537]

Well in defense of Andrew, the first speech towards this election, sarah immediately uses the female line.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Again, so what?

She is a female. Do you expect her not to mention that fact or something?

Andrew said she specifically said and admitted that she was only pandering for those votes, which is completely untrue. Just because she makes mention of something is no admittance of anything.

Hillary did run you know, and she didn't make it to the ticket. She never said, please come vote for me just because I’m a woman.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
My honest assessment after an afternoon to mull the selection over.

Palin was chosen by a desperate John Mccain who needed to find himself an edge. After being outshined and ignored for weeks by the media and most undecided voters, the GOP campaign desperately needed a boost in energy and in press coverage. By nominating a female outsider they killed two birds with one stone.

First being that they needed and wanted to figure out a way to attract bitter Hillary supporters and moderate-conservative females to the ticket. It will be a fail as far as drawing HRC supporters due to the facts that are quite obvious, her stance on abortion and other rights that Clinton supporters will not support or agree with.

The second major contributing reason that she was chosen - sensationalism. Simply put, the neo cons needed something different, something that they could hang their hat on and say "hey look at us...we are about change too".

This is primarily due to the fact that Obamamania has been sweeping the nation, the Democratic party is seeing record turn out and support (especially coming off of such a successful convention). The Republicans knew they needed to find some reason for people to pay attention to their ticket. They needed, and I hate to use the word, but they needed a "gimmick" to breathe life back into their cause.

In reality, if Mccain had simply picked some run of the mill white male politician to run along side of him they would have been viewed as the same old same old, and would have likely been demolished come voting day. They knew it and they took a big risk by naming an unknown female to the VP slot.

So like it or not, this selection will certainly draw attention to the Republican cause. If nothing else it will turn heads and divert attention away from Obama, which they depserately needed to do.

Im not saying she isnt a great woman, and Im not saying she wouldnt do a good job, but she really isnt very qualified for the job that she is seeking. And truth be told, if the situation were any different and the GOP wasnt so desperate to draw in new voters, she would still be Governor of a far away state and she would still be virtually unknown to anyone outside of Alaska.

Maybe the move will pay big dividends, maybe it will backfire horribly. Either way, you have to admit that we are in for a historic race and it will be exciting to be a witness to history in the making.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
reply to post by shellyhk

Gender feminists won't be swayed, but there are a lot of women who are somewhere between the lunatic left and the moderate right who will be very interested in this ticket.

She's no guarantee of victory, but the Democrat foundation has been shaken.

[edit on 2008/8/29 by GradyPhilpott]

Make no mistake, I agree with you there...it just saddens me that women will vote based soley on the fact that she's of the same gender....and because I'm female, people are quick to assume that I will do the same. I hope that the majority of Hillary's female supporters won't fall prey to that and realize that these women do not stand for the same issues. We already know what angle Palin is leaning towards by saying, "It was rightly noted in Denver this week that Hillary left 18 million cracks in the highest, hardest glass ceiling in America. But it turns out the women of America aren't finished yet, and we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all."
I certainly don't trust that Palin could do the same job that Hillary might've been able to do and I was never even for Hillary in the first place. I'm all for shattering the glass ceiling, but let it be the right woman and not just any woman.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

She sounds nice. But it isn't enough to win this conservatives vote. Because even if she is the VP, we still have McCain as the nominee. And McCain isn't a conservative.

No, McCain isn't a conservative, but Palin is. But at least there is one conservative on the ticket!

The liberals are just pissed because the fact is that race and sex are an issue in this election. It is the elephant in the living room, and everyone knows it.

The liberals thought that they had the election in the bag with a black candidate. 90% of black voters are for Obama, so stop pretending like these issues don't exist. And a large block of Hillary supporters wanted to see a woman in office. Another HUGE block of the base felt like they just COULD NOT compromise on McCain because he sucks so bad. This decision appeals on both those levels, and was an enormously smart move by the Republicans to regain the conservative vote. Do the conservatives know this is pandering? Yes. And we don't care. I wish the Republicans spent more time pandering to their base. Bring it on! WOOT!

So, my message to all you liberals: such it up -- turn about is fair play, and payback sucks

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
more msnbc news. mccain met palin once .. .ever..... thats not much research.....

more evidence to her being strategy

plus shes against abortion even in the case of rape and incest

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScienceDada

She sounds nice. But it isn't enough to win this conservatives vote. Because even if she is the VP, we still have McCain as the nominee. And McCain isn't a conservative.

No, McCain isn't a conservative, but Palin is. But at least there is one conservative on the ticket!

The liberals are just pissed because the fact is that race and sex are an issue in this election. It is the elephant in the living room, and everyone knows it.

The liberals thought that they had the election in the bag with a black candidate. 90% of black voters are for Obama, so stop pretending like these issues don't exist. And a large block of Hillary supporters wanted to see a woman in office. Another HUGE block of the base felt like they just COULD NOT compromise on McCain because he sucks so bad. This decision appeals on both those levels, and was an enormously smart move by the Republicans to regain the conservative vote. Do the conservatives know this is pandering? Yes. And we don't care. I wish the Republicans spent more time pandering to their base. Bring it on! WOOT!

So, my message to all you liberals: such it up -- turn about is fair play, and payback sucks

um around the same percentage of black voters were for bill... so dont act like African Americans in the democratic party is a new thing

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Excellent summation

So far I've sounded like a Palin supporter which I have not been. When she ran for Governor I did not think she was qualified. I have been proved wrong and I have to admit, any crooked Republicans need to be a bit worried. She will blow the whistle on them and has proved that here. She also stood down the big oil companies here in negotiating a gas pipeline deal. There is no big oil connection with her either. Lots of us were surprised.

Is a person who cleaned up a State Government and stood toe to toe with Big Oil and held her ground many times more qualified than Obama? Could be? This will indeed be an interesting election.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join