It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Users limit ignore list?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Hey, how about an Ignore All button? That way you could just sit and just talk to yourself.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu

Originally posted by Matrix1111
When you see a Jehovah Witness at the door on a Saturday morning for the upteenth time, do you answer the door? Or when you see that the homeless guy you just gave money to get into his BMW, do you give him money the next time you see him?

Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing again and again, but expecting a different outcome.

OMG we are so on the same page, I use the insanity quote over and over.
You sir are going on my friends list!

Likewise!!

LOL!!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I currently have a 4.0 and I teach computer classes in college.
I know dbases like the back of my hand. Ignore takes no more than friend or foe in your dbase.

Really? Well you may want to take a whole lot closer look at your hand friend! You are missing your fingers!

Friend or foe takes the exact same dbase load as ignore, if not more because there are two variables.

Now you have me doubting your stated credentials... You honestly can't see what action "ignore" executes that "friend" or "foe" do not?
You claim to be a database expert yet you miss this most elementary and obvious piece and then have the temerity to call me a liar?!

MAKING THE POSTS OF THE "IGNORED" NOT VISIBLE TO THE PERSON WHO "IGNORED" THEM IS DATABASE INTENSIVE WHEN HUNDREDS ARE SURFING ALL AT ONCE. NEITHER "FRIEND" NOR "FOE" DO THIS.

Not to mention the fact that "friend" and "foe" are not "two variables" at all (do you just make stuff up that you think sounds right as you go?), they are two separate and SINGULAR labels. Not even actions, just labels.

I suggest you stop with the libelous attacks on our volunteer staff immediately as well. I am certain that it must be frustrating for you to realize that your "4.0 GPA" and "computer teaching" has left you severely wanting for knowledge but I won't tolerate the abuse of my friends.

It never ceases to amaze me how those with the least amount of real world knowledge are typically the loudest and most rude when screaming their ignorance from the rooftops.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

In my experiences in life - i've learned that the person who brags is usually just barking loud because they have no bite. The staff can handle themselves, but i feel an almost...intentional ploy from this user - a sort of "goof" like "Mack" in the opening scene of super troopers

Handle this ATS and leave your views at home please.
You are letting me down.

if you are being serious.....

you are on ATS. ATS is run by members of ATS... "leave your views at home"?
If "home" is ATS - then you're telling them to keep running things they way they see fit

I have to say this is the first time i've ever read a post that made me ancy

the staff handled it very well

The fact that you are not banned after that tirade is reason enough to prove to you that ATS is the greatest discussion forum on the web.

Any other website and you'd be seeing an HTTP error every time you'd try to load...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

I would have starred this if I could,

Friend or foe takes the exact same dbase load as ignore, if not more because there are two variables.

How? I am no computer expert by any means. But it seems to me that it would take more dbase power to look up and remove posts for individual people than to simply list a person as friend or foe.

(p.s. um arguing with the website owners and moderators isn't a way to make friends or influence people
)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by nexusmagazine

Duncan...

Your mad exaggeration skills not withstanding
, there is a practical reason the ignore list is limited. The database that is ATS is huge, I mean really huge. The queries required every time you call up a thread are greatly increased with each "ignored" user name you have on your list.

The software must review every post in the thread and compare it to the names in your ignore list and then remove those posts from your "version" of the thread. Now multiply that by a few hundred people all surfing the site at the exact, same second and you'll see why we have to limit the ignore list.

We already have the most powerful machines available for lease as data base servers through a hosted service. The next move for us is to a "co-location" set up which means we have to buy the hardware (load balanced server clusters), a "direct to the backbone" connection and hire on site staff to make sure we are always up and running and do the maintenance, late night/emergency repairs, etc...

We are looking at $50,000.00 + or - for this upgrade when it's all said and done. That's a HECK OF ALLOT of $0.30/1000 eCPM ads!

While I am sure being a busy guy makes it very difficult for you to avoid the posts you don't want to read, all I can say at this point is we are working our tails off to improve that for you, but, I am pretty sure that even after we upgrade it won't be much better unless someone reinvents the basic architecture of the common data base.

Springer...

While I don't know how the ATS application is tiered or the specifics of the database architecture; there are a few general concepts that hold true for all web based applications that connect to DB backend.

Dealing with real-world, large scale enterprise information systems I can speak from exeperience and concur that certain queries can take up far more CPU cycles and consume the memory of even the most powerful cluster of DB servers and web-farms.
There are ways to overcome these issues though. In my experience adding more powerful hardware to overcome the issues of poorly optimized SQL, and front or middle tier application logic, only temporarily mitigates any systemic instabilities or over-consumption of system resources. I'm not implying that the codebase ATS uses is faulty.... though I have never analyzed a system that couldn't do with a thorough code review and gain increases in performance on the order of 25% to 75% or more; with a nominal performance increase usually in the 50% range.

Depending upon the type of database the ATS system uses the probability of adding to the Ignore list is limited, or not, by the following:

1. if the DB is the typical flat-file, non-relational type used by various flavors of LINUX then there isn't much to do and no amount of optimization will allow for additional Ignores without a whole lot extra dev time. This is due to the nature of how non-relational databases operate, they must do a serialized lookup, row-by-row of each database, each time it is queried. Caching and prefetch can overcome this somewhat... but usually it is a whole lot of work. I stay away from non-relational databases.

2. If the DB is a relational database like Oracle or MSSQL then there are many optimizations, stored procedures and batch jobs that can be done on the backend to improve performance. Additionally a relational database can accomodate more indices of each subset of data (joined tables in another database), thus reducing the serialized lookup limitations of un-indexed relational databases and flat-file databases. Also making sure that "ALL" tables in all databases are indexed will help with initial queries.

3. The application architecture is also a major contributing factor as well. Typically I design systems that separate the frontend logic, from security and business logic and the processes of the back-end. Your typical 3-tier business system (sometimes it is necessary to add additional tiers in severly complex systems). Ignores - would/should fall into a middle tier logic app. The queries to the backend would remain the same but would transit through a middle tier. At that middle application tier the result-set of data would have logic based upon a users "preferences" - the result set would be filtered by middle tier logic rather than backend logic. Thus relieving any stresses on the frontend or backend..... essentially shifting the CPU cycles and MEM consumption to an intermediate app tier.

I don't know how ya'll have things setup over there..... but that's my 2.5 cents.

-Euclid

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by euclid

Oh my Gosh!!!

Most of what you just typed is way over my head.....but, I saw the last bit....about the 2.5 cents

Guess inflation is affecting this board, as well??

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

If they have this 'ignor' function, i don't understnad why they can't have an Unlimited number of slots...

I have never used the funciton...

Even morons should be able to voice their opinion...
Even is ATS doesnt like that idea..

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I don't come here to debate, so much as research and be around like minded people. I'd love an expanded ignore list.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Well. I think i'm on a lot of peoples ignore list, which is fine. I don't set out to try and upset people but frequently do, so if they are happier to ignore and not get upset then fine.

Off topic i know - apologise in advance - but can someone explain why my points balance is in the minus? Is it because i am on so many peoples ignore list......lol

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Call me 'stupid', but what is this Ignore List ? Personally, I think everybody is entitled to their opinion. There are many ways to look at a subject, and each perspective leads to the truth.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Do you want people reading misinformation? I dont get it.

I don't get it either.
Are you forced to read these posts?
Wait! I know the answer!
No, you're not.
And if people can't decide for themselves the difference between information and disinformation all the ignores in the world aren't going to teach them anything...Accept to be a sheeple.
Ignoring = ignorance.
You can learn something even from the most inept and offensive.

...taps...

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Damn. I must really work too hard. I have my own built in ignore. It's pretty simple, uses very little resources, and always works with no limit. But I realize it's difficult for some people to use.

And some of the same people that complain about the Nanny State want ATS to make it easier on them to ignore idiots. What hypocracy. (And no, I really don't care how the word is "properly" spelled. The ones who have a fit over such anal retentive things are the very babes in the woods that need a Nanny to keep everything tidy so their minds won't have to make any effort at all.)

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheFreeBird
Damn. I must really work too hard. I have my own built in ignore. It's pretty simple, uses very little resources, and always works with no limit. But I realize it's difficult for some people to use.

And some of the same people that complain about the Nanny State want ATS to make it easier on them to ignore idiots. What hypocracy. (And no, I really don't care how the word is "properly" spelled. The ones who have a fit over such anal retentive things are the very babes in the woods that need a Nanny to keep everything tidy so their minds won't have to make any effort at all.)

Is it just me or is every post of yours full of negativity and bitterness?

It must be a sad and lonely existence being so full of hatred towards members who contribute far more to this site than you do.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DrBones666

"Contribute" in your dictionary must be a whole lot different than the rest of the world is using. Since when did whining and contribute mean the same thing?

Negative? Yes, I suppose I am, when it has to do with people complaining because they have to make the effort to unroll their own toilet paper.

Maybe ATS needs to apply for a license to run a day care center.

Added: Trust me, you'll see more of me as time goes by. I'm like a guilty conscience; always there.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by TheFreeBird]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
After a time you develop leather for skin. Instead of igoring them take it in stride and consider the source. Posters who are looking for a scrap I just ignore them with my keyboard, not respond. Case in point, when ats changed its format I wondered where the posts/threads function went. It wasn't until I popped my profile and found it. I good naturedly threaded to as where it was and got ripped by my one and only responder. Did I reply, send a u2u, feel bad, no. They are quite pleased and proud of themselves. Trust me. Not worth it. reply to post by Memysabu

[edit on 11/1/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I've been here many years now and have never once placed anyone on ignore.

I may not agree with what you have to say but I'll not pass up on the chance to debate the matter with you. On more than one occasion I have been proven wrong.

Those who are here to preach choose to ignore those that do not agree with them.

Those that are here to learn listen to all sides of the argument.

Just my thoughts on it.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I don't know folks,I must say there are some who are just absolutely intolerable.

Mabus is *inches* away from making my ignore list. Currently I have none.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Why put a troll, or even an obnoxious person, (me?) on ignore and then tell them so? I mean, that must feed their ego to know they succeded in driving you to that point.

Ah, maybe the should allow unlimited ignore here. That way people who can only have a conversation with themselves will truely be happy.

So much for this thread seemingly intended to just waste time and space.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I've been here for quite awhile now, and I'm with mrwupy on this. I've never placed anyone on ignore, and never will. If I don't like what they say, I just don't read it. Or I read it and laugh to myself, and then don't respond. It's that simple.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join