It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia mulling Baltic nuke fleet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

www.presstv.com

"In view of America's determination to set up a missile defense shield in Europe, the military is reviewing all its plans to give Washington an adequate response," a senior military source in Moscow told the Sunday Times.

This comes in response to an agreement signed by the US and Poland allowing a missile defense shield to be deployed in the European country in exchange for Washington's pledge to boost Warsaw's air defenses.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
What's that noise? Yes, it's the sound of rattling sabers!

The story quotes a senior military source, so that lends it some credence, unlike the rumor by an analyst that Russia could station bombers in Cuba.

Is this Russia's way of defying the shield? I would think 5,000 warheads would have no trouble making their way through a shield meant for 'rogue' states, but a nukified Baltic fleet would up the ante somewhat.

www.presstv.com

[edit on 17-8-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Yes here is the news from TIMES ONLINE:
www.timesonline.co.uk...

But think about it, nuclear war... what would they gain? If there is one thing those leaders love, its power. To nuke is to self destroy, because they will retal eachother.

And they runs the risk of loosing their positions as world superpowers to the ones that didnt get nuked.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Dont they realise that nuclear war isnt any war isnt the answer to theyre problems [sigh] [stupid power hungry fools]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The word Nuclear is being used at an alarming rate by the Russians.

I dont know Maybe their intelligence knows something not in the open about the upcoming Iran issue, They really do seem to be Pre Emting something, as if they know they are truly in the sights of the US, but that does not make sense.

A nuclear Baltic Fleet would have profound implications. This is all moving to quickly, the posturing, responce and actions.

Cool heads in Moscow and Washington is what the world needs more than at any time since the Cuba missile crisis.

Kind regards,

Elf.

sty

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
well, it looks like Russia does not like Europe to have the means to be able to defend itself. The Polish system will be a system for defence , it is meant to protect not to attack , so it is clear where Russia stands. With other words, Russia is panicked that Europe cannot be attached eassily . But Russia forgot that Russia does not mean Ucraine, Bellarus, Eastern Europe influenced countries etc anymore. I guess Russia would use the nukes, as they do not care about their people as they never cared. It is all about sick grab of power of the Russian elites. They would better do to feed their people and give them a decent life and cut the massive maffia corruption that is leading the country towards a new dark age.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by sty]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Russia should have been left alone after the USSR dissolved. NATO should have been dissolved. THAT would have made the world safer.

Instead, NATO expanded and the US pulled out of the ABM Treaty and started pushing the ABM to Russia's borders. That has put the Russian's in a situation where they will have to use their Nuclear Deterrent or Lose it. The very Purpose for the ABM Treaty in the first place was to avoid this dangerous situation.

Our leaders just didn't know their history. They thought that it would be different for them because they are Arrogant SOB's. Pride goes before a Fall.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8
Dont they realise that nuclear war isnt any war isnt the answer to theyre problems [sigh] [stupid power hungry fools]

They have no personal reason to fear nuclear war, they can survive it.

It may be inevitable, despite the perception that it is suicidal. For Russia backing down now without a strong show of force means bitter defeat, that will not happen, and Washington along with allies are pushing the issue, pushing a bit too hard.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Now don't get me wrong, I'n not a Yank basher. I personally find the American people great, after all I holiday there every year. But in this case their government are so two- faced and out of order that I find myself wondering what they are doing. In the 1960s when the Soviets wanted to place nuclear weapons right next door to the American mainland, in Cuba, they went ballistic (sorry about the pun!) But now they want to do exactly the same thing by placing their weapon shield in countries that border Russia. If I was Putin I would now begin to negotiate with Cuba about placing weapons in their country and when Bush throws his rattle out his pram simply make a compromise. Keep you weapons away from my borders and I'll do likewise. Crisis averted?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
Now don't get me wrong, I'n not a Yank basher. I personally find the American people great, after all I holiday there every year. But in this case their government are so two- faced and out of order that I find myself wondering what they are doing. In the 1960s when the Soviets wanted to place nuclear weapons right next door to the American mainland, in Cuba, they went ballistic (sorry about the pun!) But now they want to do exactly the same thing by placing their weapon shield in countries that border Russia. If I was Putin I would now begin to negotiate with Cuba about placing weapons in their country and when Bush throws his rattle out his pram simply make a compromise. Keep you weapons away from my borders and I'll do likewise. Crisis averted?

By definition its a defensive measure as compared with Nuclear bombers (offensive). The US has even offered to work with the Russians on this. All this threat of Nuclear responses only serves the Russians bad in the arena of world opinion, and rightly so. I can only begin to imagine what response and condemnation this would recieve had it been uttered by an American official.

I'm not by aleviating the US of any responsibility for this situation, but the Russians seems to escalating this far too much and far too aggressively. We need to difuse this situation, not perpetuate it.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by theblunttruth]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This dispute is on its way to space. The only way to bypass missile defences effectively is death from above.

with the secrecy of space programs who knows what kind of payloads are ALREADY in place as there's no real way to account for it one way or the other.

Like I said, this is going to space.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hypothetical situation about all those posts concerning ''defense systems'' and other US property making its way to Russia:

Ok, imagine your rival, the US, planting a giant wall with a gate around your country, under US control.

Some time in the future, you and the US get into a fight and decide to duke it out till the end.

You gather your forces desperately for the grand assault, but what is this?!
*DAMN* you think, you forgot about the giant wall built around your country!
Think..Think! Yes! Quickly you start preparations to dig through the wall, but what is this?! It's nearly impenetrable, this will take a while!

Your advance is delayed.
US Troops have been mobilized and are at the gate.

They open the gate and flood troops in.

*Crud* you think whilst your forces are already at a great disadvantage, their only advantage being homefield advantage.

You press alt+f4 and admit defeat...
You just got steamrolled by USA in C&C3 Generals.

[edit on 18/8/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.

Uh there is a Huge difference .. The US ABM missiles are NOT nuclear. They are missiles that are designed to intercept other missiles. (Think patriot missile system.. Think Iraq war and Scud missiles)

The system that poland etc would put in would be strictly defensive. There isn't a chance in hell they could be used for offencive purposes.

I seriusly get the feeling that people just dont understand exactly what the capabilitys are for the system.

1. You have to build silo's . 1 missile per silo. .. Building the silo will take a year or so.
2. The missile itself is designed to intercept incoming (INCOMING ) missiles.

People here and in russia seem to be woefully ignorant about what the missile shield can and can not do. As it is its questionable the missile shield will even be able to intercept a incoming missile.

Anyone saying the Missile shield is a first strike weapon is ignorant. They would have to install thousands of these missiles to be able to prevent a launch from Russia. Not the 10 they are putting in poland.. Not the 10 that are currently the only ones operating on US soil.

Ignorance is bliss it seems .. The missile shield IS NOT A GOD DAMN WEAPON,, IT IS TOTALLY DEFENCIVE IN NATURE. It is only good against a very limited number of missiles if that at all.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404

www.presstv.com

"In view of America's determination to set up a missile defense shield in Europe, the military is reviewing all its plans to give Washington an adequate response," a senior military source in Moscow told the Sunday Times.

This comes in response to an agreement signed by the US and Poland allowing a missile defense shield to be deployed in the European country in exchange for Washington's pledge to boost Warsaw's air defenses.

Nothing new here.Weve heard these type of threats before from russia during the Cold War.We will adjust to the threat and carry on,just like we did then.The defensive shield is a great idea for Europe and North America.We earned the right to have it.Anyone claiming it is offensive in nature is just a russian stooge or sympathizer.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by wolfmanjack

The ABM Treaty existed for a reason. It was there to make sure Mutually Assured Destruction was 'Assured'. If one side thinks it has gained an advantage then MAD doesn't work. That's where we are today.

Bush started to think he could gain a Nuclear advantage and pulled out of the ABM Treaty a few years back. He removed a cornerstone of Nuclear Deterrence. Nuclear Brinksmanship is just too dangerous and MAD was assured through the ABM Treaty. This Doctrine brought us through the Cold War in one piece. America has abandoned reason in its arrogance. Pride goes before a Fall.

top topics

join