It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Good Survival Quiz

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Here's a quiz to test your basic survival knowledge. How much do you really know about personal survival? Take the quiz and find out!

Most of the answers are just common sense, but we all know that common sense is becoming more and more uncommon these days.

Survival quiz

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
cool thread im just about to do the quiz ill tell u how i do soon

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I scored an 18, but I think the questions I missed were a little off of what I have been told, #9 says to build your shelter so small you can barely fit into it. I think you should have some air space in order to contain the heat. The other was the #20, you can do almost anything with a small knife that you can do with a big one and it is not practical or in most cases legal to carry a machete everywhere you go. I carry a Leatherman wave at nearly all times, and I have never been questioned as to why. The Leatherman has a saw for wood and I suppose if I have to blaze a trail through the overgrowth I am screwed. Try to carry a large blade even when you walk up a mountain trail, and there is a chance you will be stopped.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I only got 10 out of 20

the little comment at the bottom said i should "stick to the couch. some folks judt dont belong outside.
bit harsh

question no. 17 made me laugh aswell

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Oh yea, it was fun though sorry i left that out.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
the author of the quiz definitely has his own ideas about what's best in a survival situation! But I believe most of his information is spot on.

I never really considered my cell phone as a vital piece of gear due to it's unreliability, but there's always the off chance I might get a signal. I carry it now, just in case. It's always a good thing to remain flexible in your thinking when it comes to survival

[edit on 14-8-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I was born and lived 40 years in Wyoming, every year we get some snowmobilers lost deep in the woods. They all carry cell phones these days and it works. Something about grabbing the closest tower in an emergency.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
When I hit "score me" it only gave me 16 of the "correct" answers. Seemed to be no way to scroll down or pull down the rest of the answer sheet.

I thought it was a bit silly. Take your cell phone and call 911 in the event of an emergency? AHAHAHAHAHA. I can't even get good reception on the outskirts of town but I'm going to get reception in the middle of nowhere? Like all tests it was flawed. It was based on an assumption that one would WANT to be found if "lost". Some of us would prefer to stay lost, thank you, so some of our equipment and survival gear does not include anything for helping us to get "found".

Plus, I had some questions on the prioritization questions. Depends on the "medical emergency", depends on how cold it is outside when you have your emergency, etc. If I have an arterial bleed I am definitely taking care of that first unless it's due to currently being attacked by a bear and then one must take care of the bear problem first. See? Depends on the situation.

Being a survivalist means being flexible and adaptable to your current situation. Some basic knowledge is useful but you can't get stuck in a rut with your thinking when it comes to survivalism.

Enjoyed taking the test, Lloyd 45. Thanks for sharing it with us.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Hey ,thanks, nice quiz. I guess 16 is a descent result from person that carries extra 2kgs for inflatable mattress and a pump (aka - me)
for a hikes to local, hmmm, "wilderness".
Another good thing about this quiz, author has a good sense of humor. Bad thing is that i am probably too clueless to spot these "... bend over and kiss ...." type of answers most of the time.

Edit - prevented possible diplomatic incident.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I scored a 16. I might just survive! I took this quiz a couple of months ago and scored abismally low. After reading and studying the survival threads here on ATS it seems my score has gone up. I feel better about going to the mountains already!!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

If I have an arterial bleed I am definitely taking care of that first unless it's due to currently being attacked by a bear and then one must take care of the bear problem first.

Agreed, but i took it as in a standard situation small cuts and so on. But the first thing (in almost all cases) to take care of is yourself. if you are dead you do not need food water or shelter

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I don't think there are any answers that will be correct 100% of the time. It's all situational, and that's where practical experience comes in. The more dirt time you put in, the better you will become at prioritizing your needs.

If you want a really challenging quiz that will give your critical thinking skills a workout, then try this one! It took me a couple of tries to get a passing score. LOL

[edit on 14-8-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by soldiermom
I scored a 16. I might just survive! I took this quiz a couple of months ago and scored abismally low. After reading and studying the survival threads here on ATS it seems my score has gone up. I feel better about going to the mountains already!!

Every little bit of information you learn counts. It may not seem to be applicable to any situationyou can think of right now, but one day, under the right set of circumstances, it could possibly mean the difference between life and death for you or another person.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Your overall survival IQ is 41.
Your ability to stay alive is -8%
Your ability to protect yourself from the elements is 91%
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is 40%

IQ Graph Legend

Overall
Life Expectancy
Health Quotient
Possibility of Rescue

That was good also but i guess i should stick to the mountains

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by red 5
reply to post by whitewave

If I have an arterial bleed I am definitely taking care of that first unless it's due to currently being attacked by a bear and then one must take care of the bear problem first.

Agreed, but i took it as in a standard situation small cuts and so on. But the first thing (in almost all cases) to take care of is yourself. if you are dead you do not need food water or shelter

In a real survival situation, even a small cut can be life-threatening without proper medical treatment or medication due to the risk of infection. Break your leg in the middle of nowhere without someone to assist you, and you're toast.

If a bear were after me, I'd probably crap myself first and foremost!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Agreed, Lloyd, but the point I was making (apparently not successfully) was my priorities differed from those of the test.

A small scrape, cuts, etc. are not medical emergencies. Working in the ER we get those all the time and I always have to ask the person, "HOW is this an emergency?" Such things do require medical treatment but can usually wait a few minutes. If I get a broken leg in the middle of a blizzard, I'm going to make a shelter first, then a fire (to keep from going into shock and to melt some water to wash away the blood so I can see to deal with my leg), then deal with my leg.

And you're right. Crapping yourself is the first thing you do when attacked by a bear. I think it's in all the manuals.

In critical care nursing we have a joke that goes:
Q: What's the first thing you do in a code blue?
A: Check your own pulse.

Nursing humor....it's an aquired taste.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
18/20, and I don't know a thing about survival.

I don't like #12. I wouldn't trust a disposable Bic lighter to start anything.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I got 15, that was a pretty cool test

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I know you were beeing funny but comfort can help you survive.

Hey ,thanks, nice quiz. I guess 16 is a descent result from person that carries extra 2kgs for inflatable mattress and a pump

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
To the second test it said...

Your overall survival IQ is 72.
Your ability to stay alive is 79%
Your ability to protect yourself from the elements is 94%
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is 43%

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join