It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Party System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
What would it take to get rid of the 2 party system in America?

Kill em' all?

Would it be better to seriously get rid of both parties entirely or just diminsh them and give a more equal platform to some of the others?

Any thoughts would be great...

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Well, you'd have to get rid of the pervasive mainstream media lock, which means you'd have to get rid of corporate-governmental collusion, which means you'd have to get rid of the two party system, which means you'd have to change the media...

...and so on, in circles.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
ahah! as I thought...mission impossible.

I agree though. The media would have to make some serious policy changes.

Anyone have any idea what it says in the Constitution about different parties representing the people?

I would not be shocked to find somewhere in there laws against the way it works today.

It seems rather unfair to the smaller parties such as independant, green and my fav. liberatarian...

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Here's what i think. We need a STRONG INFLUENTIAL member of the independent party to run for POTUS. No Democrats, no Republicans. Just straight thinkers, that have hopefully been awakened and inspired with change not money. Another Republican or Democrat would just put us in another slightly varied cycle. The American People themselves must DEMAND change, not wait for the Gov't to give it to them. We need to change it

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Ok, that certainly would help, but I believe as the poster above me stated the media would stomp someone like that out. And what exactly is wrong with the candidates of these parties today? How come they can not get one iota of time on MSM?

I don't know much about the candidates from other parties, but I do know they are not getting a fair crack within the media. I mean Ron Paul didn't even get a fair crack and he was Republican with millions of supporters!

The thing is is the government is the people (or at least that is how it is supposed to be in the constitiution) and it has to be done by both. The government should always play its proper role:

to serve the people.

I don't have a solution for this problem, but I think it is one America needs to address immediately.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
How about putting a "None of the above" box on the ballet paper? If it gets enough votes they have to start all over again with new candidates and in the mean time the country can be run by a "caretaker" administration.

By the way, a caretaker administration does not have the power to go to war, increase taxes etc, etc....

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I would prefer a system with absolutely no parties. We should be able to vote based on "blind resumes" of candidates. We should only know past and present stances on issues and not know who the individuals running are. Call them candidate "A" and "B".

The problem with this would be the sheer number of candidates with only small variances in their political ideology. There would have to be strict prerequisites for running, a limit of initial candidates running, and several rounds of pre-vote voting to narrow the field by popular vote.

Not exactly the most efficient manner to decide president, but IMO the most unbiased one. We wouldn't be swayed by age, race, sex, political affiliations, or be subjected to the double talk so prevelant now. We would make an informed choice of the things that we as a populace deem important.

new topics

top topics

join