It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problems with the U2U database -- some messages are lost

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
We've been having some ongoing issues with our U2U (private message) database that has been apparently made much worse by this morning's downtime... which now appears related to corruption deep in the U2U data.

We're attempting to recover as much as we can, but it's looking as though there has been corruption for some time, and even our backups are showing serious problems.

The U2U system is disabled for now, and so far I've identified nearly 400 members who may have lost most, or all of their messages.

More as I know it.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I personally don't save many U2Us So if all of mine are lost it's not a big deal.

This must be a huge headache S.O. I feel for you man.
keep up the great work, we appreciate all that you do for this online community.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Bill Thanks for telling us and the hard work,

Good Luck getting the data back.

Now Given the strange incident when it crashed this morning, and also the ATS system that appears to be compromised do you believe this is "normal" bugs in the machine?

It is apparent that as very little personally identifiable data, and sharing of private information is very scarce on the Boards, due to the nature of ATS and its topics posters;
Therefore the only real way for ATS members to network and give email address and other info to other members for growth, networking and affiliation of like minded views, is therefore the U2U system.

Given the current world events, the % of members on ATS who probably have, or are involved in Direct Action (non violent :-) and of an only lobbyist, or information sharing way!) the timing to me seems to indicate that there is a "intelligence" behind this (I was going to say Higher but... mmm ahem not soo!) and a reason that this has happened?

The ability of the Network, to allow such disparate groups and individuals, who none the less have common ground across a broad range of issues to communicate or "meet" properly for the first time is probably unparalleled anywhere else on the web, here at ATS.

Given this, and the type of U2U ATS has, with no attachment ability, plain text and web based on your own servers, am I correct in saying that in fact this could be an attempt to discourage, or break up such a network of contacts.

That also I dare say some of the information exchanged on the U2U basis in ATS may be of a "sensitive" or such like nature that in fact this is being compromised and threatens, is ATS under attack?

And if so is the timing significant or just a normal day at the office for those who have done it/ if such an event has happened!

We all do provide information when we join up to ATS, in addition to this when I joined a Web Based email address was not usable, you had to have a Contract Based email e.g. @bt.co.uk or such like. Is that information that was provided to ATS secure, could someone who has compromised the u2u system also have seen my account info, or details from joining that would provide to them, given their abilities, to easily locate previous or current address's and names etc?

It does not matter that much, as in, how could it have happened etc, ATS let us down, if such a thing has happened, but we deserve the truth and you know more than most how important it is for some people here to know if such information is compromised, seriously some peoples lively-hoods or even lives could be in danger!

Obviously depending on what or from where they posted, but that is a very real possibility, the amnesty site alone is testament to that!

Many members may have the fear that if their ATS privacy was compromised, and because of what we write about, personal experiences etc, well that information could be used to create a link, to previous affiliations, experiences and actions!

............................................................................................................
Strangely enough I nearly contacted a mod last week (which look at my history I don't except to say like ATS down, or thanks etc) because a few strange things happened after I made a post.

Should I be concerned about A place in Texas name starts with Fort?

lots of attempted hacking onto my PC from their last week, much much!

More than I have ever had and online since 32 k modems!

My laptop was stolen the next day!

The police thought it was very strange indeed, very very very quick and silent, someone was in the house at the time!!!

I just ignored it, thought about for like 10 seconds, thought the paranoid ibee geebes where upon me! Also my passport and driving license, but the wallet was left !!! next to the laptop!!!!!

Has anyone else had a laptop Computer stolen in the last week and massive hacking attempts?

I/We certainly need to know Bill!

Kind Regards

Elf.

Elf Edit so it can be read!

[edit on 10-8-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I, too, thank you for your hard work in keeping the system up and running the vast majority of the time. It is appreciated.

Hope things resolve for you and as far as I'm concerned, losing a few saved messages isn't going to bother me, so don't sweat it on my account.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
Now Given the strange incident when it crashed this morning
>snip

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thank you very much for the quick reply indeed when you must be soo busy Sceptic.

1,2,3 does go to four in our heads sometimes, but was a lot of unusual stuff at once!

Im so glad that it appears to be such a minor glitch, and not a Hack.

This has me pondering....

Our Information is held in the US yes?

If say for example in a little thought exercise persons currently in S.Assetia quickly went south and joined with say Iran,

And Mr Bush was then to invoke one of his many many new powers...

Well in that situation I am concerned that maybe there is not a back up for members privacy, in such an event im very sure your servers would be looked at extremely quickly!

Without adding to you headache Sceptic whats the possibility of a cyanide button in our Member area
?

Indeed what are your obligations to such authorities if requested by them?

Kind Regards

Elf.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Hmmm...oops.
I didn't do it on purpose I swear!

(Okay, it may not have been me, but it sounds like it)

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Bill please don’t let the entire board go down. I don’t want to go through ATS withdrawal symptoms!

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

SO, hope I didn't do it!!

Asked Springer a question, but could be co-incidence.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

Tell me about it, i tryed to get on this morning and did'nt know what to do when it said maintaince, luckly for me i remembered that i love TinWiki so i went there.

Bill -- I know you said that there are 1.2million U2U's to check, but any idea about a time period? 3 days ? a week ? I dont U2U a lot, but I'm sure some members will be curious on this.

Fox

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
Well in that situation I am concerned that maybe there is not a back up for members privacy, in such an event im very sure your servers would be looked at extremely quickly!

1) The data will be meaningless without the key only I and our IT support person knows... and for which I'm the only one who can alter the key.

2) We retain off-system database backups on a weekly cycle.

3) None of our servers keep log files of traffic that could associate specific IP's with specific content (but your IP is logged with each post).

4) We always recommend that our members refrain from posting personal data, and the only thing we ever ask for is a simple working email account... never anything more than that. (and in fact, are mere days away from receiving the top certification by the most intensive privacy audit available... it's been ongoing for nearly six weeks now)

5) After nearly two years of code refinements, ATS is now portable... if we need to shut-down our US-based servers... it would take less than 36 hours to re-establish our entire infrastructure anywhere else.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProTo Fire Fox
but any idea about a time period?

It appears we're about 15% of the way through the process... U2U functionality should return tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Awww mann!!! How am I going to send out my dinner invitations to all the ATS hotties now??

Anyone up for "haggis n mushy peas" and "prunes n custard" then a windy night in.. gimme a shout.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I had been noticing messages disappearing in my inbox regardless of me not deleting them.

Atleast the problem was found

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

Anyone up for "haggis n mushy peas" and "prunes n custard" then a windy night in.. gimme a shout.

Och... yer makin' Robbie Burns proud, laddie.

tradition

on topic... I was wondering when I needed to clear out the several hundred U2U's I had collected this month.

Now that won't be a problem.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Im glad its back up. I was about to post a story from here on another website when it just stopped working. It was prolly around 10 or so EST.

Thank goodness it wasnt anything more serious....

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This seems to be happening more and more. May I say sorry to my friend who I just cut off in MSN!! I tryed to U2U them to say it was my computer as they dont use e mail and I can't.

You see U2U can be the only private way of speaking to some members, so it is a very useful tool.

I hope these problems are sorted soon.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

It is strange. I am one of the members to have lost my messages on U2U. Is it possible that whatever caused the problem with the U2U could have come in from outside? Could there have been some kind of hack into the messages that were being sent back and forth from members of ATS?

I am just asking these questions, as in the past, my phone line has been tapped. Since, I rarely use the phone now, the taps have ceased.

Also, with more and more people using the internet and emails to communicate, wouldn't it be possible for the government, or authorities to tap into and bug messaging systems on various sites and personal emails?

The way I see it, if they can tap into a phone line, a computer would be easy pickings. Especially, if they have top notch hackers on their team.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Wow, SO. You guys are seriously cool. I thought this was just some regular discussion forum but you guys take your business way above top (secret). Very comforting to know.

I will just remain curled up in a fetal position in the corner of my room, sucking my thumb and crying like a little girl until the U2U function is restored. Not that I'm addicted or anything. I can quit anytime. *whimper*

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yay!! Haggis an custard at Agent T's house....yum!

Seriously, I'm glad it's not a major problem, although I will be upset if I've lost some of my favourite u2u's...serves me right for not cutting and pasting them somewhere else....

And I'm dead impressed that ATS is now so portable...I got kinda panicky today when I couldn't get on.

Cait

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join