It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flood control ARGGGHHHHHH

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

See, the 60 sec. delay promotes drinking alcohol and smoking cigs, and prevents learning bladder control.

Thank you oh great Mod for helping to promote the case of the compulsive U2U-er. You is both wise and carbonalicious - not to put too fine a point on it.

(j/k)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I'll drink to that.

OK, so my examples were a bit, shall we say, eccentric, in a lush sort of way.

Still, it was all the good karma I was after.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
To follow up on my esteemed colleagues thoughts...the Flood Control is actually necessary to keep the ATS servers performing at quality levels.

Can you imagine what would happen if every online member sent a u2u at the same time?

We would all be on some other website griping that ATS was down....

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
[SNIP]

Mod Edit: Removed off topic post.

[edit on 7-8-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Can you imagine what would happen if every online member sent a u2u at the same time?

Yes AOL

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
reply to post by Badge01

I'll drink to that.

OK, so my examples were a bit, shall we say, eccentric, in a lush sort of way.

Good save. You have an endearing way of putting it, I must say.

Plus, you're entitled to any vices you like, since your virtues far outweigh.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
For us who type over 80 words a minute...

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I type 100+ wpm...

Originally posted by SteveR
I type 350+ WPM...

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I type 4000 WPM...

Amateurs!

I measure my typing speed in WPN (words per nanosecond).

Seriously, though. Yes it would be nice to do away with the flood control after we have a certain amount of posts. You can accuse me of being impatient for getting in a tizzy about having to wait 60 seconds but that is 60 billion nanoseconds for me. I could have popped out a couple of books in that time. ATS is stifling my productivity!

Ok, serious tip: Not sure if everyone is aware of this but if you want to send the same message to multiple people, separate their user names with a comma (just like in email). Nothing we can really do when we have to send different messages to multiple people when replying to messages in our inbox.

Yes it is frustrating but I guess we can take it as a hint to stop and smell the pixels.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
It doesn't really bother me unless I'm u2u ing multiple people at the same time, then I have to hurry up and wait!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
I'm not taking sides in this. It just doesn't effect me that much.

Seriously, what has happened to people? Sixty Seconds? Slow down and smell the flowers. If 60 seconds as opposed to 30 seconds matters that much, you're not having fun here, you're competing.

I disagree. How is it competitive to not want to wait around to send U2U? How is waiting fun!? I find many things can be fun, but queuing, waiting, standing in a lift, waiting for a bus, etc are not. Enjoying flood control is like saying you enjoy waiting for webpages to load! Each to their own I guess. Mmmm.

I have much more important things to do with my time than wait around to send U2Us. I type VERY fast and the flood control is simply a waste of time. And maybe I'd have more time to 'smell some flowers' if I spent less time waiting to send U2U! lol.

Seriously, instead of debating the merits of waiting between U2Us why not debate WHY the flood control can’t be switched off for members over a certain post count? What's the big deal? Why does it matter so much to ATS how often I send U2Us? Over a certain post count is sensible. So why not? And for those who don’t care about flood control - why would you care one way or the other?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

I just had to comment and say point well made in the above post.

There are people out here who have two computers going at once, with multiple windows, and can multi-task like a super computer. Simply stating that what's the big deal, is not accomplishing anything.

Let's provide some suggestions to the problem for the people who actually would like to change this feature.

An item in the ATS store, over a certain post or point count. Those are all good suggestions.

But, on the other hand, I know the main reason why it is in effect because the servers would go into overkill. Also, spam too. Imagine if someone just joined up and started sending mass U2U's to everyone, it would be a marketers dream.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

I just had to comment and say point well made in the above post.

There are people out here who have two computers going at once, with multiple windows, and can multi-task like a super computer. Simply stating that what's the big deal, is not accomplishing anything. ...

An item in the ATS store, over a certain post or point count. Those are all good suggestions.

But, on the other hand, I know the main reason why it is in effect because the servers would go into overkill. Also, spam too. Imagine if someone just joined up and started sending mass U2U's to everyone, it would be a marketers dream.

Good suggestions. If it was for a high post count or for purchase with points that would certainly deter anyone wanting to use U2U for spam! It just wouldn't be worth their time.

If you can purchase extra upload space why not opt out from flood control?

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

OK!!!! I'm spitting up by wine and coughing up my cigs as I type!!!

No....don't smoke, but that's all I'm sayin'!!!!!

60 second delay??? Oh man, my time is MUCH, MUCH too valuable for that!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOpsychiczebra
If the flood control was removed for members over a certain post count it would be fair and would not cause problems.

It would seem to me that those with a high number of posts should perhaps be subject to the flood control.

It is thread content and not the number of post counts that make ATS a credible asset in the forum world.

I would ask that perhaps 2 U2Us back to back should be able to be sent, as sometimes I have sent one seeking to add to it. But just dropping the choke due to a member post count will encourage frivolous posts just to attain this status.

I would be interested in hearing from the site owners as to some of the issues and reasons for flood control and perhaps some of the abuses they are trying to prevent.

Peace

[edit on 9-8-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

So, HIFIGUY....are you gonna volunteer your services to write the HTML, or whatever computer bs is used to control these....controls????

See, I can walk the walk, when it comes to internets.....but I DO have other knowledges.....even if I am completly ignorant of the intertubes, or the interwebs....remember, the Sen. from Alaska, (currently under 7 counts of indictment) said that the web was just a bunch of interconnected tubes.

Brilliant guy, him. Sen. from Alaska....did I mention 'REPUBLICAN' Sen from Alaska....what a tube!!!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
So, HIFIGUY....are you gonna volunteer your services to write the HTML, or whatever computer bs is used to control these....controls????

See, I can walk the walk, when it comes to internets.....but I DO have other knowledges.....even if I am completly ignorant of the intertubes, or the interwebs....remember, the Sen. from Alaska, (currently under 7 counts of indictment) said that the web was just a bunch of interconnected tubes.

Brilliant guy, him. Sen. from Alaska....did I mention 'REPUBLICAN' Sen from Alaska....what a tube!!!!!

reply to post by weedwhacker

Im not familiar with HTUBEML lol.

blog.wired.com...

Peace

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well I think I understand. I've read and responded to a U2U and then wanted to respond to another U2U. The "Flood Responce" doesn't alow for you to start responding, typing the email, for the 60ish seconds. That can be a pain.

However it is times like this that it is best to slow down and smell the flowers. Maybe it's best you look away from the computer screen for half that time or find something else to consern yourself with. It is afterall only 60 seconds. The only time that would seem like a long time is if you only had 4 minutes to save the world.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY

Originally posted by UFOpsychiczebra
If the flood control was removed for members over a certain post count it would be fair and would not cause problems.

I would ask that perhaps 2 U2Us back to back should be able to be sent, as sometimes I have sent one seeking to add to it. But just dropping the choke due to a member post count will encourage frivolous posts just to attain this status.

I would be interested in hearing from the site owners as to some of the issues and reasons for flood control and perhaps some of the abuses they are trying to prevent.

It is already done for chat, where you have to have 200 posts before you can use chat. So why not flood control?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join