It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says if Americans inflated their tires properly we would save oil!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I understand your concerns but I drive cautiously on slippery surfaces and I have been doing this for 5 years, with my past two cars and I have not had any handling or traction problems. As long as your tires are not worn bald, IMO the higher pressure is fine.
Try this experiment, inflate your tire to the 32 or 35psi or whatever is recommended. Put some paint on the surface of your tire and drive for a few feet. Now inflate to 38 or 40psi and repeat the painting and driving a few feet. The footprint between the two is negligible. The surface area lost from the higher pressure is minimal.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What a waste of time.

It seems to me like you have all been ensnared in the trap that 'they' want you trapped in.

It is a nice little distraction for you to be picking over the minutiae of what Obama did or did not say. A distraction from what others, the real concerns, are saying.

Obama, like McCain has been hand picked for the job of being the presidential candidate for the same team.

The two party system does not, can not and will not work. No matter who you vote for, the same team still gets in.

Wake up dolts! This is your country you are losing.

Obama, as I have already stated, was picked to stir up a little heated debate. McCain, has equally stated some interesting things (and I am saying nothing more than that about him).

What you should be debating is why the 'democracy' only has two parties. Why the 'democracy' doesn't have a third, fourth... sixth, seventh and eighth parties!

Here in the UK (home of the so-called oppressors of American democracy in the 1770's), we have dozens of political parties. Admittedly there are still only the big three, but the smaller parties are growing in size at an exponential rate! Now that is democracy.

Wake up Americans. Wake up. Your democratic system is not democratic. Your presidential candidates do not give a stuff about your tyres, or how much petrolium you might save... They don't want you to save any petrol at all, that's bad for tax collection.

Anyone awake yet?

Anyone at home in those heads?

Any lights on?

Ask yourselves why you only have two parties in America... I have heard talk of a third party... Why are you all bitching about Obama and McCain, and not out supporting the third party? Why not start a party of your own?

Get the political landscape over there whipped up into such a frenzy that the politicos have to sit up and listen. This is what you should be doing.

Instead you go to work, drive home sit on your arse with a cold one in your hand and watch telly... after then you drift onto the computer and whine about what a couple of political candidates (a communist, and a nazi) have to say...

Sigh... here we go again. Welcome to the 21st Century - it hasn't had a brain upgrade yet.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

This guy wants to be the President of the United States and this is the best he can do.

It's really laughable that you reject a solid advice because it seems too mundane. You would prefer a candidate that wants to invade Saudi Arabia and confiscate their oil fields because it's so much more dramatic and satisfying, for a simpleton.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

I'm not being hateful, I just don't see him as the messiah the media is making him out to be with the kind of ideas he is coming up with.

I think you just gave yourself away....
As soon as I heard you say "messiah" it was all over for you. You just used the GOP "word of the week" and let us all know how genuinely intelligent you are.
It is rather obvious that there is no point to arguing with you guys on these nonissue issues.

As for your criticisms of his advice.....Ask a mechanic if it will save you gas, then you don't need shallow reassurance from the peanut gallery to see you are staying on your talking points.

Way to think for yourself.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

The footprint between the two is negligible. The surface area lost from the higher pressure is minimal.

Yet, it makes all the difference, according to science.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Oh, and to clarify a point:

I check my tyres weekly to ensure they are inflated correctly, have good tread, etc.

I change the fluids in my engine at the prescribed times (or earlier if I remember) to ensure smooth operation of my car.

I do not carry anything that is not essential in the car - like all the rubbish most people have in their boots/trunks.

Keeping the car clean is a good idea - sounds irrelevant, but there is a good reason your car came with a clean, shiny and smooth surface...

Simple, little steps, these are the real key to keeping your car on the road, and running at peak efficiency. This is how you save those 'miles per gallons'...

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

You are arguing over minute and pointless details.

Who cares about tyre pressures...?

Who cares if Obama is the next president?

As I have already stated, it doesn't matter if Obama or McCain gets in, they are still playing for the same team.

See my post above!

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
reply to post by round_eyed_dog

Sigh.... OK, so do you really believe this is a good plausible solution for the offshore drilling problem? Pumping up our tires and getting tune ups...
Come on! This guy wants to be the President of the United States and this is the best he can do.

Actually, I was referring to what the article you cited not fitting your argument and nitpicking the way you posted the topic.

If I was actually speaking directly to the subject, I personally think that adding more offshore drilling is akin to bandaging an amputated limb with a gum wrapper. Alaska's Waters Quietely Reopen to Drilling

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Obama the Rockstar ...as far as the Media is concerned

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

This guy wants to be the President of the United States and this is the best he can do.

It's really laughable that you reject a solid advice because it seems too mundane. You would prefer a candidate that wants to invade Saudi Arabia and confiscate their oil fields because it's so much more dramatic and satisfying, for a simpleton.

Oh, I do love quotes such as yours... it suggest that you would not vote for Obama, simply because he is a warmonger. So, you will vote for McCain (?)

What a shame you haven't woken up to the fact that America has no democracy. Two parties? Who dreamed that one up? That's right the American public allowed it to happen...

Oh, how clever of them. Oh, wait, there is a simple solution... getting of your bottoms and doing something about it. But that involves turning off the television, the computer, putting the beer down and doing something with the brain you are supposed to have.

Vote? Ha! Which one are you going to vote for? There are only two candidates and both play for the same team...

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFwife
Obama the Rockstar ...as far as the Media is concerned

They are all 'rockstars' or 'celebrities'. Just look at the media circus that followed the French President on his holidays earlier this year.

The trouble with people is that they treat politicians as if they are 'above' everyone else. As a result politicians think they are above everyone else.

In fact, they were voted into power to SERVE the people... it is a shame that no one remembers this is how it used to be.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
amazing , well not really, since its apparant that rabid frothing at the mouth neo-cons can`t even understand what is in front of them and just make it all up as they go along; quite simply obama is offering good advice for saving money both as an individual and as a country - but apparantly you have a kindergarten level of understanding so for that i pity you.

Got it.

Sorry, but your comprehension skills are of kindergarten level. Again, you prove my point by resorting to name calling in order to deflect.

I guess it's going straight over your head. You are missing the point entirely.

Do you agree with what Obama said that getting tune ups and inflating tires will save as much oil as offshore drilling will produce? Is this what you believe? Let's see if you will be honest.....I doubt it.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Hmm.....again, you did not answer the question and instead attempt to deflect. I will ask again for a third time.

Do you agree with what Obama said that getting tune ups and inflating tires will save as much oil as offshore drilling will produce? Is this what you believe? Let's see how honest you are.....I have my doubts.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Wow. Obama-haters jump to argument without doing the math first. Obama wants us to save gas? What a bad idea LOL.

Wow, you are not getting it either. You are missing the entire point of the article. Of course inflating tires and other similiar things will save gas. Unfortunately for you, this is not all of what Obama stated.

Do you agree with what Obama said that getting tune ups and inflating tires will save as much oil as offshore drilling will produce? Is this what you believe?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

The first thought that came to mind when I read this was that my tires are not the only thing full of air. If this is his answer to our problems we are truly screwed if he gets elected.

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

You obviously didn't read very far did you...

But who's really out of touch? The Bush Administration estimates that expanded offshore drilling could increase oil production by 200,000 bbl. per day by 2030. We use about 20 million bbl. per day, so that would meet about 1% of our demand two decades from now. Meanwhile, efficiency experts say that keeping tires inflated can improve gas mileage 3%, and regular maintenance can add another 4%. Many drivers already follow their advice, but if everyone did, we could immediately reduce demand several percentage points. In other words: Obama is right..

Reading is fundamental to ensuring you are not citing a piece out of context. You see, you might indirectly give someone the impression that you are deliberately trying to cause misdirection.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
OK, what do you expect from a man who's response to Americans asking why immigrants into this country aren't being required to learn English was "Why aren't you teaching your children to speak Spanish?" and then lecturing Americans on how they should be more accomodating? He isn't "out of touch" he's an incompetent jackass who can only speak when the words have been carefully orchestrated for him and he's been spoon fed his statements.

Read my post above. The article goes on to say that Obama was right.

Funny how everyone is quick to jump on the first paragraph of an article.

The title of the article was "No Joke"

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Here's how sad this OP's premise is:

MSNBC has already shown that, the idea of a well tuned engine, and well inflated tires can save MORE FUEL than would account for any of the proposed offshore driling figures.....

Sources? NASCAR....NHTSA....and even, try to wrap your heads around this....the Governor (R) Crist of Florida...and....wait for it....the Governor (R0 of CA). Yes, that's right, the Governor of CA...'ARNOLD" himself.

ALL on record to say that a tune-up and a check of tire pressure could help save fuel economy.....this is not made up, you can look it up for yourselves!!!!

See, Sen McCain even campaigned WITH the gov of Florida, Mr. Crist, on this issue. Sen. McCain even campaigned with Arnold, on this same issue....look it up.

BTW...Crist and Arnold are both Rebubs.....in case you haven't noticed....

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Useless banter back and fourth over ridiculousness.

"HE'S RIGHT!" "HE'S WRONG!" "YOU'RE A MORON" "NO, YOU ARE!"

I've lost all interest in posting regarding these petty politics and the only reason I'm commenting is to say the only helpful or productive post made in this thread was on the first page when someone mentioned HHO. Yet, no stars, no reply, no one cares.

I know nothing about cars, yet I get 40% better MPG than you because I'm using HHO. This 100 year old battle for useless oil you're all participating in without actually trying to change or do something, is the problem. I could careless about my personal dollar savings, all I want is for everyone to do this. JESUS! If I can do it, surely to hell you can. We did 3 other cars already this year for christsakes. Take some initiative. You can't by this one at Walmart.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

It called elitist, one is in control and the other is there to give the illusion that the people hold the control. There are more than two parties but much like your smaller ones in England they growing, mind you, not at an exponential rate but we are running on our two hundred something years and we are the strongest country in the world. If you ask me we aren't doing to bad, it only to you guys like what, a thousand or so years to get it down to where you're at? A few people run this wolrd to think that any person in a high ranking government position gives a # about anything but their own is ludicrous. For the record America broke free of Brittish tyranny in the 1770 because Brittain was like a negligent parent, letting the kid do whatever it wanted, than daddy laid down the rules and Junior didn't like it, thus acting out. Daddy didn't like junior acting out, so he laid down some consequences like unrepresented taxes to tax us into poverty.
It just goes to show that no country is innocent, of anything. And the stereo type of Americans being a bunch of lazy redneck alcoholics, like how you like to make it out is about as accurate as the stereotype of the Brittish being a bunch of yellow buck tooth, tea drinking pansies.
I guess the part of what I'm trying to say is you don't live here so who are you to tell us what's going on in the country I live in?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

I find it helpful to read the posts of the people I'm debating. Give it a shot, and you'll be amazed at the results.

As I wrote in the post that's third from the bottom on the second page, and in answer to your question, YES - proper vehicle maintenance, starting tomorrow, would save 1-3% gas mileage annually, on the national level. I'd wager good money that there won't even be an exploratory well operational for a decade in the wake of the ban being lifted, and forget about seeing any of that oil on the market until at least 2030 according to the DOE.

According to one estimate, the US consumed about 140 billion gallons of gasoline in 2004. That means we could expect to reduce consumption by between 1.4bn and 4.2bn gallons annually if we took Obama's advice. By the time the offshore wells start producing, the country would have conserved between 28bn and 84bn gallons of gasoline (assuming the wells start producing by 2028).

If you do the math, you will see that Obama's 'no-brainer' suggestion would effectively increase supply far sooner than lifting the ban, and it would pay dividends every year.

It is a far better goal to reduce consumption than to increase production.

There are better solutions to achieving energy independence.

The oil companies and their cronies are using the climate in the US right now to push this thing forward. It's the worst sort of pandering to people's fears and doubts, and while I CAN believe that people are falling for it, I wish they wouldn't.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join