It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people like to deny the possibility of ETs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Think about this for a second. If life arrived onto Earth from a meteor... it would be virtually impossible for no other planet to not have life... as many other meteors like the one that crashed into Earth probably have crashed into other planets that could sustain life. That being said, if what scientists say is true, that life on Earth came from a meteor, we are probably not alone in the universe. Why do people deny the fact that ET's could very well exist?

[edit on 26-7-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

i agree with your thoughts on this,

i believe the term for this is panspermia and it is a theory that seeds of life already exist all over the universe.

en.wikipedia.org...
Panspermia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the flagellum motor , that is in bacteria is proof of intelligent design imo.

www.youtube.com...
YouTube - The Flagellum motor

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
i dont know of any scientist who thinks E.Ts dont exist anywhere else in the universe.

The arguement they have is how common life or technological life is.

Rare earth proponents think there may be as little as 1 civilization for every 3 galaxies. On the other hand SETI think there could be over 10k civs in our galaxy alone. At this point nobody can be proved wrong.

i think the evidence on earth points to technological intelligence being rare. But future astrnomy missions like kepler/tpf should get us closer to a definitive answer.

[edit on 26-7-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   

That's a good question.

You mention, or imply:

Panspermia - arrival of life from elsewhere, from space 'seeds';
Alone in the Universe - the idea that other Carbon-Based life forms exist 'out there';
ET - or the ET Hypothesis - that real craft are in our skies, piloted by non-human, non-terresterials;
Life on other planets in the Universe;
Life on other planets in the Galaxy;
Life on other planets in our Solar System;
Conditions necessary to support life on a planetary body;
Sentient life - highly evolved life which is capable of determining 'sense of self';
Basis for life - It is thought that a few elements could have the Atomic structure to form 'biological' structures. These include Carbon, Silicon and maybe one or two others. Part of the idea is that these elements can bond to many other elements and form covalent bonds, and multiple bonds. Carbon is unique in that it can form 'ringed' structures, (and so on);
...and other concepts.

You've combined these all in one paragraph. Though they seem like part of one thing they are actually able to be looked at separately, and if we're not careful, things get confusing very quickly.

What I try to do is individually research the parts of my question, taking it apart a little, then in the end put it back together and see if it 'reframes'.

HTH.

(I didn't do this in a highly structured manner, with links and bullet points as I sometimes do, and am just talking 'off the cuff'.)

Thanks for your post!

[edit on 26-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I think most people believe there is life out there somewhere. I just dont believe its ever visited here. Intelligence is a by product of our races stuggle for survival the amount of luck over the years our species has had with disasters and opportunities, its miraculous. And with things like our planet being the right distance from the sun and the moon being something like 400 times times smaller than the sun but 400 times further away making it all so perfect. Although the numbers make life out there probable i still think its possible that this planet is unique. im not an astrophysisist so my opinon is hardly one to sway opinions its just i dont necessarily believe because there is life here it has to be elsewhere. But heres to being educated as to why this may be wrong

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Why do people deny the fact that ET's could very well exist?

many people don't really like to have to think too much. They'd rather go through life on autopoliet. They want to make more money then they deserve for less effort then they could put out. They like to go to the mall, buy crap they don't need to fulfill a never full sense to store things up.

People like to deny the fact that ET's are real because they'd hate to have to think about what that means to them. After all the churchs have been giving them a bunch of bull, the governments have been frontin, and their family and friends have kept their socitial masks fixed in place. If they had to face the reality of ets then they'd have to realize the reality of the other lies of the illusion of physical reality.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   

People aren't denying that ETs exist, They have to somewhere out there. I just don't believe they have visited Earth yet. I have seen NO viable, tangible proof to satisfy me as of yet. NONE. Edgar's words don't convince me, he's just a man like any one else.

I need real proof, no heresay and 50 year old stories that are so old they don't resemble the original story anymore. Look at Roswell, some people say 4 fingered aliens, some say 5, some say the fingers has suction cups on them, some say no. Some say the aliens were 4 feet tall, some 5, some 6!

Get real.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

After all the churchs have been giving them a bunch of bull, the governments have been frontin, and their family and friends have kept their socitial masks fixed in place. If they had to face the reality of ets then they'd have to realize the reality of the other lies of the illusion of physical reality.

Right on. Religion has been brainwashing people for many years that we are all alone in the Universe. Didn't the God of the bible state that "in my house are many mansions?" I have taken this subject mater up with many ministers, but always failed to get them to believe in any sort of ET. They are designated as "demons" usually, or the "work of satan" something like that. To admit to life elsewhere would tear down established religion, me thinks.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Catholic church doesnt mind ET at all. Their take is if ET exists God created them too.

Who are these people you speak of who say we are alone in the universe?

[edit on 26-7-2008 by yeti101]

top topics

join