It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless to work 'clearing litter'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by deathpoet69

You're going to do a video though! Thats great! I can now sleep soundly in my bed at night knowing that the worlds troubles are being put to right because you are doing a video.. Pity George Bush and Tony Blair never thought of it. Instead of organising a mass attack on Afghanistan and Iraq based on pure lies, how easy it would have been for them to follow your lead and say, "Lets do a video!"
I wish you luck with that one...

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
lol your funny, you got to be some type of an official? don't be jelous that am taking food out of yoru kids or wife while i chill out on beach, why should we care about you when u dont care about us?. I don't stay in bed that long though lol. I get up at 6am or 9am in the morning. Am going to do a video were am going to meet the young people who are anti government who I will try to assemble to have them attack the real source of the enemy

Already teenagers are attacking police officers, its gonna be brillant when they go for politicians too. What your really paying for is freedom fighters

do you know that deviding £40 by 30 hours is £1.3pence? do you know that is about 2pence an hour?. Of course it will drive us in to work, if companies take us on that is.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by deathpoet69]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I'm not an official anything, honest. The politicians at the top are going to do exactly what they want to do whether you or I like it or not. Thats just a sad fact. I think you're right about the oncoming of civil disobedience and unrest. You can see it coming a mile off. As for lieing all day on the beach! Be careful you don't get crabs!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
LOL. i liked that crab bit!.

I know your right mate, I don't mind working if they help me you know but am just saying what these's other young people are doing and am just trying to tell people, i don't know if the uk can tell can they? i mean its not just london. If you speak to a 14-15 year old lad its amazing how they know things we already know. I dint even know anything before i was 18 years of age and the younger they get the more knowledgeable there getting can you see what i mean?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

In the end it all comes down to respect. If those in charge dont respect us they should not be too surprised when ordinary people turn against them. When you keep pushing people around it usually doesn't take too long before the people start pushing back! I think the breakdown in society and the lawlessness on our streets is the beginning of that process. Also, it is becoming increasingly obvious that nobody trusts those in charge anymore! Whether its internationally or simple homeland policies there's always that belief that they are trying to work it to us in some form or another. And remember this my friend, it doesn't matter who's in power the agenda still stays the same...
lol.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
there's an obvious reason why there pushing us all then? any suggestions? and what do you think the outcome of that suggestion would be for them?.

If they create anger and rebellion, what are they getting out of it? just the fun of torturing people's souls?.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by deathpoet69]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Utter twaddle! Sorry, its a fact...
Many years ago I was unfortunate enough to be on disability and had to attend one of these "Disiablity hearings" while waiting for my operation. The guy in front of me had emphysema and was told by the three doctors chairing the meeting that there was nothing wrong with him. After leaving the meeting he didn't even make it to the pavement before his breathing difficulties got the better of him and an ambulance was called. How many more are there just like him..?
Wake up, this is nothing but an attempt to save money so that there's more to spend on the upcoming war in Iran.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
dint think of that one, and i heard stories about were they deny real people with a disablity. ill be back 2moro.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The government seem to be going out of their way to encourage civil disobedience and even rioting on the streets so that it can introduce more legislation which takes away your liberties and human rights. How much longer before you place a curfew on teenagers being free to walk the streets after a certain time? At what point will it become necessary for the government to forcibly restrict your freedom of movement just incase you have explosives in your backpack or plan on speaking out against them. The web is the last refuge for free speech and it wont be long before they start to try and take that away.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Ok, You have people on welfare and they are gonna force them to work for the money they already get. So tell me, How much Money are the people supervising these workers gonna get paid. Sounds To me like just another way for the agency to Make more money for themselves.

They are not gonna send people out On there own and trust the job is getting done. They will have to hire people to supervise this. So really it will end up costing the tax payers even more money for this program. The benefits will still get paid out no matter what.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
I think its disgusting. Forcing people to work full time for next to nothing is wrong.

Believe me, it isn't "next to nothing" ... far from it, especially those claiming Incapacity & DLA. My bro is a single guy, he's got schizophrenia & genuinely can't work in the 9-5 scenario with a conventional employer. The amount of ££ he gets in is a real eye opener ...

Income Support - £60.50+£25.85+£50.35+£12.60 = £149.30
Disability Living Allowance - £67.00+£17.75 = £84.75
Total Personal Benefits = £234.05 per week.

Housing Benefit - £375 per month topped up with £25 from the Council Discretionary Fund = £400 pcm = £92.30 per week

Band B Council Tax Benefit - £65 pcm = £15.00 per week.

Grand Total = £341.35 per week or equivalent to a job giving you a net salary - net not gross - of £1479 per month, which must be roughly equivalent to job paying £21000 a year, if not slightly more.

And I earn just over £15000 a year working a 42 hour week. He sits on his a** all day smoking cigs and watching tv. All this extra money he gets isn't in itself going to make him better healthwise. In fact my Mum doesn't know what to do with it, she can't spend it quick enough. At the moment she hasn't collected his last 10 weeks benefit from the Post Office because he's so close to being over the limit for savings. That limit is £16,000. I've got £300 left in the bank to do me until the 31st July.

He's got a fantastic blu-ray dvd collection right enough. Pity I just can't afford a player to watch them on.

The joys of being employed.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
How anyone can say this is fair and beneficial is beyond me. Why should anyone be forced to work full time, but only receive a measly £33 a week, when those in full time employment will be taking home between £150-£200 a week for doing the same type of job. This is nothing but soul and confidence destroying slave labor. If people are forced to work full time, then they should at least be given the minimum wage.

Please read the article....

They only have to work full-time for the money if they have been on benefits for 4 years.

They only have to work in the first place for 4 weeks in a year, and that is after they have been on benefits for 2 years.

2 years is more than enough time to find a job, no-one can argue that fact.

It sickens me sometimes, I work for a company who install and maintain door entry systems and cctv cameras etc.. One of our contracts is with a housing association who basically own the ex-council houses and have had some built themselves.

One place in particular was only built 18 months ago, contains 6 nice new flats that would cost in the region of £450-£550 a month to rent if they were owned by a private landlord. Somewhere pretty good to live in my opinion, probably better than the place I'm renting at the moment. Well this place gets smashed to bits on a daily basis, the amount of times I have been to replace the locks, the amount of times the joiners have to come to fix the door, the amount of times the fire alarm installers have to come and fix things because they rip the fire panel/sensors off the wall. Everyone living there is unemployed and on benefits.

I barely have two pennies to rub together by the end of each month, I can pay my bills and feed myself but I have very little to spend on myself.

These people have better accommodation than I do, they have no rent or council tax to pay and they take money out of taxpayers pockets (including mine) to feed and clothe themselves. I get paid to fix what they break, the housing association won't kick them out even though they have footage of who did it, because they won't have anywhere else to go. Makes me wonder why I actually work when I could sit on my a**e and live a better life with everything handed to me on a silver platter..

In my opinion 2 years is too long, 6 months is long enough to find a job.
In my opinion 4 weeks is too short, it should be at least one day a week.

Just want to add that I know not everyone on benefits is like the people I described above there are many who genuinely need the money and those are the people it is there for, trouble is there are more people who just want to laze about and get free money.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Your freedom ends at my pocketbook.

If you want the government to support you, then of course they have the right to tell you certain things about your life choices. And frankly, to make a person work for the dole is a very good thing

If you don't like ti, then don't ask the government for money.

Personally, I believe that if you are physically capable of doing anything at all (which means you are not confined to a bed 100% of the time), you should be required to do something for your welfare payment. After all, the working taxpayers are paying for your life, so why the hell shouldn't they get something back for their money?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Someone asked what if you were to create anger and rebellion?

By whom? The people paying the bill, or the ones receiving the funds?

If it anger and rebellion by those that receive the funds, well let them get angry and rebel. Go off the dole. Then you really have a choice of either getting a job or starving.

I doubt if many would starve.

It's about time that those lazy people get off their duff, get an education and get a job. There is absolutely no moral requirement that society support you because you refuse to support yourself.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Everyone who says "why don't "they" give them real jobs" is missing the point.... this is supposed to be a deterrent to get a real job. They don't want you doing this menial work. They want you to find a job that pays you more than your benefits.

I am not a fan of the dirty work they might make them do, I could think of a few better alternatives. Have you used a government website lately? They are riddled with page errors and broken links. They could assist webmasters from home for all I care.

If you cannot work, ok, you can have the benefits you deserve, but if you are just a punk ripping off the system then you can find something to do, or don't get the benefits. It is that simple.

They are not forcing anyone to join the army. They are not forcing anyone to actually do the menial labor. They are simply trying to make the system better for those that truly deserve it. Simple as that.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

But would you really want to be in his situation? Financial obviously, but the rest no way. Being schizophrenic cant be a good life, and while he is probably getting too much money its not like he can do much more with his life. Its good we live in a nation that has a system set up to help people who genuinely cant work. Yes people abuse this, and people who should get benefits dont. But thats another discussion.

My point is though that people on Jobseekers (which the OP's news article is aimed at) get next to nothing, about £60 per week (if your over 25) to live on which is barely enough to pay food and utility bills, then you have to pay for bus fares to get to the jobcentre too find work, and bus fares are sky high now.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

OK try starting your own company. Unless you are very lucky and find a decent gap in the market, you are going to be competing against already established companies, and thats going to be a major uphill struggle. Thats assuming you can somehow raise the capital in the first place to start the business. With the credit crunch, im sure its not just mortgages that banks are cutting down on.

Also how is a person on benefits going to be able to afford shares? Personally, my conscience wont allow me to work for these companies or buy shares in them. Its bad enough being forced to buy food from them especially now food prices are rocketing along with other costs involved in getting that food. I feel sorry for people who are forced to waste their lives away working for barely anything above minimal wage while their bosses get rich off their work.

I can understand why people disagree with my views though.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I see what you are saying, but this life is the only one we get. We live in a very corrupt society, albeit a reasonably free one. Keeping us in 9-5 work is one of the many forms of control they have on us. People on benefits are more free in a way but their lives are still extremely restricted. Theres not much you can do on £60 a week.

For the record, I am not a dole dosser. I used to be, I got involved with the wrong sort of people when I was at school, and ended up leaving early. After a good few years of dole dossing and living the chav lifestyle (which im ashamed of but it taught me a lot) I eventually got myself a full time job, 9-5 every weekday working for a charity, as I refused to work for any type of major company that makes a profit and couldnt care less about its workers. It was a killer. I stuck at it as long as I could but my physical health as well as my mental well being suffered in a major way.

The end result, I was signed off on the sick and still am there now. To start with after I lost my job due to my illness I jsut signed back onto Jobseekers. They could see I was unable to work and it was they who told me to apply for Incapacity Benefit. I failed the initial tests as most people do, but was re-assessed at an appeal and that was successful.

Now while I am glad I'm not working 9-5, and am quite unable to due to my illness, I hate not having the money to do what I want during the amount of free time I have, and I hate being bored a lot during the day, and most of all I HATE being sick. Im considering a part time job but its a major risk signing off the benefits im on without knowing im able to hold a job, I wont get the same rate of benefits should I go back on them after stopping them, and not really worth it as I doubt I'd get enough money to live on.

A lot of people who are vocal about these benefits and the people on them clearly are either misinformed by media propaganda or dont have a clue about what its like for people on them.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I welcome this action by our Goverment because its about time we dealt with those who think welfare is a job for life. There are people who due to physical or mental illness who will never work, there are others who want to work , there are those who use their illness not to work and then there is the majoirty who are just a bunch of lazy parasites feeding off the tax payer.

I'm disabled and I am also dealing with a serious illness but I work full time and I dont get any benefits what so ever. The difference is that I have a positive attitude and fight my illnes and disabilities I dont sit there crying I cannot work so the state will have to support me for the rest of my life.

The biggest problem for people with disabilities and those who have suffered a mental illness is that they are stigmatised by employers. Although the DDA is there to stop that it still happens everywhere. For the lazy bums I would make them work for every penny they get. I know people who have been claiming for years and are capable of working but their attitude is well why should I when I get paid to do nothing.

That has to stop, the benefit system is there to help people who loose their jobs become ill or disabled. Its not ment to be free money for the rest of your life. We now have a situation where whole families are on benefits and it has to stop. Provide training and whatever else these people need to get back into work but dont let them feed off us any more.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join