It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Baby Penguins Wash Ashore by the Hundreds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Dead Baby Penguins Wash Ashore by the Hundreds

dsc.discovery.com

Hundreds of baby penguins swept from the icy shores of Antarctica and Patagonia are washing up dead on Rio de Janeiro's tropical beaches, rescuers and penguin experts said Friday.

More than 400 penguins have been found dead on the beaches of Rio de Janeiro state over the past two months, according to Eduardo Pimenta, superintendent for the state coastal protection and environment agency in the resort city of Cabo Frio.

Rescuers and those who treat penguins are divided over the possible causes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Over population = over fishing to feed the population = disruption of the entire world ecosystem.

Think about it... if there are no more fish... there are no more penguins. If there are no more penguins or similar creatures, there are no more sharks/whales and similar animals.

looks like we can kiss this planet good bye... and the worst part is... no one will care until its too late and we're on a strict diet of whatever laboratories can produce from synthetic materials.

Whats your take on this?

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I've noticed a lot of animals coming out of the wild lately and its weird. I had a rabbit come within 10 foot of me and a fox... fox are not that daring and he was not rabid... something is going on. I fear we might be too late.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
The other day my brother saw a black bear cross the road, very rare. My father has also seen foxes and wild turkeys right by our houses.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Religion

Maybe the aliens are scaring them away, or stealing off their food sources, something of that sort. What a sad story. I hate what is happening to this world. Too bad we don't have the fame to set trends on a global scale. We really need to make a change. People need to stop polluting this earth. We need people to think up solutions.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Anomen

I would think that if the baby penguins all starved to death, the experts wouldn't be all that divided as to what the cause might be.

I am not saying that it isn't the case, but it sounds more mysterious than that.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
sorry for my lack of response to this thread. for some reason when I checked these forums last time it looked like my thread was deleted for some reason. I dunno.

well anyway.

The scientists are indeed divided over the cause... but the undisputed fact is that penguins are landing on a beach halfway up the eastern coast of South America. This means that somehow they have gotten away from their natural living areas. why would this happen?

My personal belief is that the baby penguins weren't killed because they couldn't find fish. They could find them, they just had to swim further out of their natural feeding grounds to get them. because of this they were caught up in currents and what not, landing them on some beaches and drowning the vast majority of them. I don't really know for sure... it's just the only possibility that makes sense to me.

It just worries me that the amount of humans in this world has grown so great that we cant coincide with the other inhabitants of this planet anymore. Wildlife is plummeting! go look it up... theres evidence of it everywhere. and even if global warming isn't really the threat we all believe it to be... our stupidity is still affecting the world to the point that in a few years... we could be just as screwed anyway.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Anomen

...no one will care until its too late and we're on a strict diet of whatever laboratories can produce from synthetic materials.

Weird, this is the second time this week that I have seen this fit perfectly...

Soylent Green is people!!!

[edit on 7/28/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Anomen

Originally posted by Anomen
My personal belief is that the baby penguins weren't killed because they couldn't find fish. They could find them, they just had to swim further out of their natural feeding grounds to get them. because of this they were caught up in currents and what not, landing them on some beaches and drowning the vast majority of them. I don't really know for sure... it's just the only possibility that makes sense to me.

That's exactly what I thought when I read this.

It's terrible that this is happening. There are just way too many people in this world and we're just going to keep using up all of the planet's natural resources until there's nothing left...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
I've noticed a lot of animals coming out of the wild lately and its weird. I had a rabbit come within 10 foot of me and a fox... fox are not that daring and he was not rabid... something is going on. I fear we might be too late.

They are looking at our land like a bank looks at a foreclosure... they are just counting the days before they repossess it.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I read somthing strange like this a few weeks back. Someone posted it in my thread.

Scientist says dolphin deaths look like a mass suicideSteven Morris The Guardian, Thursday June 12 2008 Article historyThe dolphins that died after becoming beached in Cornwall had ingested debris and mud, leading one of the scientists who examined some of the corpses to compare their deaths to a "mass suicide".

source

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
That is really interesting. I have not seen this article about the dolphins before.

maybe there is something more at work here then meets the eye. :/ I remember hearing somewhere that dolphins seems almost as if they are not from this world by how they interact with the animals around them.

Mass suicide though? I honestly don't know what to make of this... other than the fact that hopefully Jim Jones wasn't reincarnated as a dolphin or something and got them all to drink the koolaid.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nina.

yeah its awful... and people could care less about it. look at how much food people throw out every day and how much of what we harvest is wasted. Everyone has the attitude that "oh it wont hurt to throw this out" but when you factor in millions of people with the same attitude... you start to get a picture. So not only is the human race consuming every natural resource... but they waste a good portion of it as well.

I don't want to start preaching about how people would appreciate their food if they had to work for it, because that would sound communistic. I just want people to realize that before long... We all might end up like those penguins. dieing off because we have to go to further lengths to find food to feed our families.

top topics

join