It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw Batman last nght and it lives up to the hype!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
There will be no spoilers here so don't worry

First off want to say this was an amazing movie and i would recommend seeing it to everyone i know. The action was incredible, special effects blew my mind, and heath ledger couldn't have played the joker better.

The one thing i noticed about his movie is how real it was. It is definitely a modern day batman with many underlying themes that had to do with current events.

Im not going to ruin anything but I found it interesting how the movie raised many questions about morality in the modern day world. They talk about how to deal with the joker (a terrorist), a madman who cares not for life or money, and what actions are necessary to stop him.

Questions about domestic surveillance were raised like is it to much power for one person to be able to listen an see what everyone is doing?

I hope everyone gets a chance to see this movie and see what im talking about. It really hints at many different issues that are going on in the world today and I want to hear some feedback from fellow ATSers.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I want to see this movie very badly but will not be going to see it for a few more weeks as I just can't deal with all of the text messaging teens in movie theaters these days.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I managed to weasel my way into a private screening tonight at the IMAX theater. Can't wait to see it.

I'll be back to post my thoughts after I've seen the flick

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
yeah I saw it at the imax theater in reading MA and it really blew my mind. I walked out of the theater with a hundred questions. I will definitely see this movie a few more times while its in theaters and I've never done that before.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I just read a review and they said that it's the best Batman movie yet and possible the best movie of the year so far.

I just think it's pretty lame that they couldn't keep the same actor for the main character.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Yeah, the reviewer with the local rag says it's one of the top 2 movies of the year.

The Oscars are going to run with Heath Ledger next year, only question will be if it's for Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor.

Peace

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Dr Love]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

supporting. There's only one lead actor in a movie like that and Christian Bale is it.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
I just read a review and they said that it's the best Batman movie yet and possible the best movie of the year so far.

I just think it's pretty lame that they couldn't keep the same actor for the main character.

I don't understand? I thought both movies have Christian Bale as lead actor?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There were a bunch of sick new gadgets too...i that love Morgan freeman is the gadget guy.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Christian bale is in this one...i think hes talking about the fact that maggie gylenhall is replacing katie holmes. I dont know why she didn't want to be in the second one...she must not like money

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Michael Keaton - Batman and the first sequel
Val Kilmer - Batman, the forgotten sequel
George Clooney - Batman, the death of a franchise
Christian Bale - Batman Returns and Dark Knight. It should be pointed out that he, apparently, loves this role and has told Nolan that he will physically fight him if he ever tries to bring a Robin into the movies.

Bale is an amazing actor who I think is perfect for the role but I was stunned when he took it. Like Ed Norton, he seems like the kind of actor who would look down on an this kind of role as being too mainstream and too commercial.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Ah yes thanks for the info.

I actually haven't gotten around to watching Batman Begins, I may aswell watch it now that the new movie is coming out, and it sounds great.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
heath ledger is a terrible joker, and batman is so homoerotic. I just dont get it.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

Michael Keaton - Batman and the first sequel
Val Kilmer - Batman, the forgotten sequel
George Clooney - Batman, the death of a franchise
Christian Bale - Batman Returns and Dark Knight. It should be pointed out that he, apparently, loves this role and has told Nolan that he will physically fight him if he ever tries to bring a Robin into the movies.

Bale is an amazing actor who I think is perfect for the role but I was stunned when he took it. Like Ed Norton, he seems like the kind of actor who would look down on an this kind of role as being too mainstream and too commercial.

I remember when those batman movies first came out and the director Joel Schumacher made a statement about putting nipples on the batman costume to make it more sexy.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybach Hanson
heath ledger is a terrible joker, and batman is so homoerotic. I just dont get it.

Where do you get homoerotic from? Your saying that batman was made to be attractive to gay men and you noticed so....

I didn't see any male nudity or anything like that, thats just a really strange statement for someone to make.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
wow!

saw it last night. private screening for Time Warner (a friend of mine is a big wig there) at the IMAX in Lincoln Center. It was amazing. First, let me say that the hype is real. This movie might actually be better than Batman Returns. Along with the usual action there's some serious politics tossed in. The Joker's terrorist vs. Batman's DHS and just how far we should go to protect ourselves from said terror. The only bad thing I can say about the movie is that, for anyone who knows Batman and various characters that surround him, you see a few things coming but even that doesn't taint the movie.

Bale is a great Batman but this is Ledger's movie. I doubt if they will ever make a Batman movie with The Joker in it again. Nobody will want to touch the role as they will be compared to Ledger's take and they will come up short. His performance is stellar. You want him on screen at all times and you find yourself almost rooting for him. He's funny, maniacal and evil and you will love every minute of it. The sad thing is, and we heard a lot of people talking about it, you realize just how amazing an actor Ledger was and how much talent was lost when he died.

A short while after I got home I put the tv on to catch the end of the Met game and the tv flickered on and there was Clooney and O'Donnel as Batman and Robin and it was pathetic. The difference between the films is laughable. Not that anyone thought Batman and Robin was any good but it seemed like a comedy. They're polar opposites.

It will be a total shock if Ledger isn't nominated for Supporting Actor (he should win but there's still plenty of movie releases so a nod is all you can safely predict at this point) and I wouldn't be surprised if the film got tagged for a Best Picture nomination. It's that good.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Agreed. Im glad you enjoyed it as well. You were right on about Ledger. I was wondering where he was and what he was doing the whole film. He really took evil to another level.

On another note I just found out that Monique Curnen who plays Detective Ramirez went to my high school and babysat for my current girlfriend when she was a kid....kinda weird.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Ledger, apparently, studied A Clockwork Orange and Sid & Nancy (funny given he was now sharing the screen with Sid) for research on how to play The Joker. He managed to mesh both chaotic leads from those films into The Joker.

I read somewhere that Gary Oldman didn't think the role played a part in Ledger's demise. He made reference to a few of the truly dark roles he has played and he said there was a scene he was shooting with Ledger and Ledger popped out of character, looked at him and said something like "Gary Oldman, this is so cool."

A real shame with ledger, more so in that you will want him in every Batman movie, even if it is only for a few minutes.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Crakeur]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Can't wait to watch it. I have now watched Batman Begins, loved it.

I didn't read much of your post, I don't like even a hint of spoilers even if you didn't say anything lol.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

nary a spoiler in there as I hate that too but here's the gist of it:

awesome movie. amazing cast, ledger is going to at least get the nomination and the movie should get a Best Picture nom as well.

<<   2 >>

join